Leaked Comcast Doc Admits: Data Caps Have Nothing To Do With Congestion

It's all because they still hold on to the idea of pay for premium channels and other services that cable used to provide, but you can now get on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. They are worried about their bottom line, so they implement data caps, to try to avoid people steaming more video than what their bottom line was calculated to make it a loss per user.

Since I had CenturyLink before in other places, I was like, "Whatever, this'll be fine since they were always super nice to me and I got good service." Not here though. They're total jerks and charge like $80 a month for 10m down and 768k up plus plus a basic analog phone service. Not having options kinda makes businesses suck.

Yeah, when I move (which I seem to do every couple of years) I always look to make sure that there are at least two viable broadband providers serving the address. If there aren't, I pick another place.

We do not limit a customer's use of internet in any way at or above 300gb

Correct. This is just the point at which Comcast arbitrarily decided to limit the customer's wallet isntead.

Zarathustra[H];1041956338 said:
Yeah, when I move (which I seem to do every couple of years) I always look to make sure that there are at least two viable broadband providers serving the address. If there aren't, I pick another place.

I regret not at least checking first. :( But even then, the price is really good for the place I rented and there's lots of cute cats outside. Cats > internet service.

I have Comcast and go through about 1.5 TB on average a month with 120 down 60 up for 59.99 residential class. I've had them for 10 months now and the only other provider is centurylink.

Thankfully they don't enforce any caps in my area and it's been solid since day 1 with no outages or throttling.

1.5TB...what are you doing?

Well, obviously. I worked for a cable co at one time and it's just the best solution to an awful situation.

Scenario: Cable co has a 48Mbps pipe and 1000 customers sharing it with 1Mbps internet plans. This is actually fine most of the time because not everyone uses the connection at once. Everyone enjoys 1Mbps (usually).

Up to the point a few people start torrenting 24/7, it only takes 48 users seeding their torrents 24/7 and there's no bandwidth left for anybody.

The ISP can't apply / enforce a complicated acceptable use policy like "don't seed torrents during peak hours" or a 95th percentile agreement on a home user, so they just implement a data cap. The extra money they get out of it is insignificant but serves as a deterrent to over-use.

Apply the same logic to Netflix with bigger numbers for download traffic.

So basically what you are saying is that it's the USERS fault to pay for a service, then use that service?

It's NOT the cable companies fault for having a 48mbps pipe, and vastly over-selling what it can support without upgrading their network to handle 1000 people?

I have Comcast and go through about 1.5 TB on average a month with 120 down 60 up for 59.99 residential class. I've had them for 10 months now and the only other provider is centurylink.

Thankfully they don't enforce any caps in my area and it's been solid since day 1 with no outages or throttling.

Ok, what in the heck package are you on that gives you that???

I pay 84.99 for 100mbps down...

Back