Leaked Best Buy Memo Offers Windows 7 Details

:rolleyes:

Vista does work. It works well, in fact.

People that still believe Vista is still broken probably have never used it, and are indeed sadly mistaken.

So I guess you and everyone who agrees with you, aren't getting Windows 7 since Vista is so great. Correct?

Vista works well. But you must admit there is a stigmata surrounding it. Detaching from this untrue urban legend is the smartest thing any marketer can do.

Cheers!

I honestly can say I was not impressed with Vista. And this was with trying it on both a desktop and a laptop that had it. To be fair, it came preinstalled on the machines.

Yet for some reason I am very impressed with Windows 7, on a clean install of the RC on my own computer. I don't know what it is, but I just feel like I'm actually using something that is significantly different than XP and Vista. I know people say its basically Vista with new features/functionality, but honestly? Something about it just seems to do well by me whereas with Vista, I just can't find any reason to be wowed by it.

So I guess you and everyone who agrees with you, aren't getting Windows 7 since Vista is so great. Correct?

Maybe, we'll see. That wasn't implied in the slightest in what I posted, though. The fact that BB is implying that Vista "doesn't work" is horseshit, that's all. I don't care if it doesn't work for some people; XP doesn't work for some people, either. But for the vast majority it works perfectly well.

People that still believe Vista is still broken probably have never used it, and are indeed sadly mistaken.

x OVER 9000

Vista is so much faster then XP at least in my experience.

Haha, while don't judge a book by its cover is true I'm sorry but Vista is and always has been garbage compared to XP ratio wise. 7 at least has a chance to not be a screw up in both the initial launch to +1 year down the line to acceptance in nlite/tweaker/gamer/home user/foreign markets.

A leaked Best Buy memo offers up all kinds of little details about when the new OS will be available, when customers can start buying Vista machines and get a free upgrade and so on. Best Buy also seems to have a bit of a “this isn’t Vista” marketing approach going on:

+1. Exactly. These are the same people who will say 7 sucks because it's 'built from Vista'.

They're just feeding the FUD trolls. This mentality implies "yes, we acknowledge Vista being a bad operating system. Throw it away and get this instead".

I don't see Microsoft liking that very much if they market Windows 7 this way.

They should just ignore Vista entirely and sell Windows 7 on it's own merits. Don't be a Mac-vs-PC copycat.

I think it's a good idea because the general computer shopping population is ignorant, naive, and in many cases, dumb. It only takes one retard to say "Psh, 7 is just like Vista, and Vista sucked. BTW I still use XP so I really don't know what I'm talking about but people will believe me anyway."

It's good that they're going to distinguish between Vista and 7. I worked in the computer section at Best Buy for a short time...I had plenty if ignorant fucks who thought they knew fuck all about Vista...these people include those who were still running Win 95 and didn't know what a hard drive is. Yeah, you know all about Vista's architecture.

Best Buy doesn't want these people coming back and asking "is this another Vista?"

So that mean I can bring my Vista Ultimate that I bought from BestBuy 1 yr ago to get a new one for cheap or free? I am confused

Yeah, but it's not like it's a person. It's not going to suddenly "go back to its old ways" or anything. It's a piece of software. Once they fixed the specific problems, the problems are fixed.

People really just need to get over being butthurt by a piece of software being buggy upon release. Lots and lots of software is like this. The only time you should complain is if it remains broken for an extended time.

IIRC, it did remain broken for quite some time. Could argue that it's still not quite right. But, hey, I'm THAT bothered ;)

my recollection... and i was running vista since rtm... was nvidia is crap, not vista.

In which case, I guess I was just unlucky - I run nVidia hardware (and Creative...). If Vista got hurt by proxy, fair enough. Who's to blame for not getting it all squared away - who knows. Suffice to say: different strokes for different folks - there are plenty of people that were/are/will (always) be happy with Vista; however, I'm not one of them!

This will be good way marketing. "Isn't just Vista that works" is just impressive.

I better get this in before this thread turns retarded... it's already starting to.

Did anyone notice the part about "$49 for Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade"? That seems like an awesome deal if I'm reading it right, no? The Vista Home Premium Upgrade is currently $123 on Newegg.

Yeah, I'm wondering who that offer is gonna be open to though... Is it just for people buying OEM Vista systems right now? Or for any Vista owner?

Yeah, I'm wondering who that offer is gonna be open to though... Is it just for people buying OEM Vista systems right now? Or for any Vista owner?

Good question... I'd assume M$ wouldn't want to limit their base, and they'd offer the upgrade to all people who own vista.

Of course the true question is: will the Win7 upgrade work for XP users? That'd be serious money for M$ right there... target the people that held off going to Vista and kept hobbling along with XP.

+1 Nothing is ever perfect when it is first released. I guess having a system that is 5+ years old with 512 RAM does not help either.

maverick... on one machine:
vista is broke... even after reinstall always has issues.
win7 fixed it (both x64) on intel quad 4, raid

then winxp machine...
vista works but i hate vista
win7 does not work and bsods

back to winxp lol dual core amd

both good machines. both work well with xp. as great win7 may be, it will cause alot of bsods during installs once non-nerds start upgrading... which wont happen so hopefully they just buy a new pc so i dont have to fix it.
There is a shift key on your keyboard, don't be afraid to use it.

Good question... I'd assume M$ wouldn't want to limit their base, and they'd offer the upgrade to all people who own vista.

Of course the true question is: will the Win7 upgrade work for XP users? That'd be serious money for M$ right there... target the people that held off going to Vista and kept hobbling along with XP.

As it has been said many times, you can upgrade from XP to windows 7. What you can not do is directly upgrade. Instead you will need to backup your data, then when you do the upgrade, instead of the installer updating what you have installed, it will wipe it clean and do a clean install, but will use the XP license as the base for the upgrade. You will then need to reinstall your programs. One way around this would be if you have a copy of Vista would be to upgrade from xp to vista, then from vista to windows 7. That would let you keep all your programs and data intact.

I installed Win7 Ultimate on one of my test HP xw4600 stations in about 20 minutes from scratch. That rocked. It is basically Vista but it has been optimized so that the thing doesn't hog up system resources and bog down. It runs in about the same footprint as XP.

I've been using it at home for months and it flies along on my sig rig. I'd be first in line to buy it if I didn't have tech-net.

Is this where I go to ignorantly rant about Vista, which I more than likely have never used?

Anyone who clings to XP after 7 comes out is just a dinosaur

Maybe, but they'll be dinosaurs who get good frames & audio that's in sync ; ) Not saying things won't get sorted (in time), but right now - for me, with my hardware - they aren't.

Both Windows 7 and Snow Leopards are minor upgrades to the operating system, no big plus or minus for either PC or Apple owners. Only up that Apple has now over PC is that Leopard is only $29 to upgrade. MS, major thing you can learn here.

Both Windows 7 and Snow Leopards are minor upgrades to the operating system, no big plus or minus for either PC or Apple owners. Only up that Apple has now over PC is that Leopard is only $29 to upgrade. MS, major thing you can learn here.

OS 10.6 is actually a major under the hood revision for developers and power users. Grand Central and OpenCL are a pretty big deal. I've seen it before where the move to 10.3 and 10.4 yielded faster performance on the same hardware, and based on the numbers at WWDC yesterday this will be an even bigger boost in performance, all while taking up 6GB less space with the OS.

For $30 its a ridiculous deal. Part of me things its because they're obviously pricing it aggresively to be competitive, and another part of me thinks its because nearly all of the improvements are under the hood, unlike prior versions where a lot of the improvements were for UI and workspace management (something any user could get excited about).

I agree that Microsoft will hopefully take that pricing into account. For the most part it sounds like they're going to price Windows 7 higher than Vista, but I think they're going to have to react to this beyond the early buyer promotions that Best Buy might be doing.

There's nothing that new going on here. OS X updates are more frequent and less expensive per update than Windows updates. If Microsoft can do a $50 upgrade path from Vista I think that'll be fine. Remember, next year the Mac guys will be spending another $30 or so in an upgrade that Windows users won't need.

For $30 its a ridiculous deal. Part of me things its because they're obviously pricing it aggresively to be competitive, and another part of me thinks its because nearly all of the improvements are under the hood, unlike prior versions where a lot of the improvements were for UI and workspace management (something any user could get excited about).

I can see this point, I heard a lot of comments after the presentation to the fact of a lack of any UI improvements.

Yes, a new interface, an improved kernal, direct connect, and all the other features of windows 7 are all very minor. :rolleyes:

Snow Leopard is nothing more than a paid service pack. Apple already admitted that. So there would be no reason for them to charge you a much as they aren't adding anything. They shouldn't be charging you anymore for it.

And the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade is $49. That's not much difference considering 7 has more changes than Snow Leopard.

There the same friggen upgrade for both OS, DX11 can be interpreted as the OpenCL work up for SnowKitty. Both have kernal reworks, including core threading reworks. Both of them are just paid Service Packs. Only 2 major differences, besides the price, is that that MS decided to tweak the the UI so people would associate it with Vista and Apple didn't because they wanted to be associated to Leopard.

I can post sensationalist headlines too! And at least my link works :p

:D
heh

No bites, but it opened the discussion a bit.;)

(( and frag it.....somehow got one too many http's in there. Oh well, there's always next time.))

There the same friggen upgrade for both OS, DX11 can be interpreted as the OpenCL work up for SnowKitty. Both have kernal reworks, including core threading reworks. Both of them are just paid Service Packs. Only 2 major differences, besides the price, is that that MS decided to tweak the the UI so people would associate it with Vista and Apple didn't because they wanted to be associated to Leopard.

There's a lot more to Windows 7 than just the kernal rework, DX11, and UI tweaks. Totally new taskbar? Libraries? Massively improved Media Center? Totally new versions of Media Player, Paint, Wordpad, and Calculator? Homegroups? Windows Touch? Massively improved handwriting recognition? Much better support for SSDs? WDDM 1.1? XP Mode?

Yes, a new interface, an improved kernal, direct connect, and all the other features of windows 7 are all very minor. :rolleyes:

Snow Leopard is nothing more than a paid service pack. Apple already admitted that. So there would be no reason for them to charge you a much as they aren't adding anything. They shouldn't be charging you anymore for it.

Oh please. As I said earlier, the under the hood improvements are major for developers and power users.

I suspect that they're not charging as much since there aren't the tangible improvements that any consumer can get excited for (UI and workspace improvements, new included applications, etc). Nearly everything in 10.6 is under the hood: 64-bit apps from top to bottom, Grand Central to simplify programming applications for multicore CPUs, OpenCL for built-in GPU processing for regular applications, a HD footprint that is 6GB smaller due to filesystem compression, all of this on top of the improvements they've made to the included applications and a few UI improvements they've made (Dock Expose, etc).

If Windows was making so many radical under the hood improvements and changes, the absolute last thing I would call it is a "service pack". :rolleyes:

I think both companies are entitled to charge whatever they decide to.

There's nothing that new going on here. OS X updates are more frequent and less expensive per update than Windows updates. If Microsoft can do a $50 upgrade path from Vista I think that'll be fine. Remember, next year the Mac guys will be spending another $30 or so in an upgrade that Windows users won't need.

It was two and a half years between 10.4 and 10.5 and about two years between 10.5 and 10.6. Eh, not so much...

I'm also guessing that this $30 price is an anomaly. I will not be surprised to see another $130 update for 10.7 (which I'm assuming will be significant), but we'll see.

It was two and a half years between 10.4 and 10.5 and about two years between 10.5 and 10.6. Eh, not so much...

I'm also guessing that this $30 price is an anomaly. I will not be surprised to see another $130 update for 10.7 (which I'm assuming will be significant), but we'll see.

Still a bit more frequent than new versions of Windows. That said a $30 seems very aggressive and a good marketing strategy in bad times. Let's hope Microsoft gets the message as well with Windows 7 pricing.

Still a bit more frequent than new versions of Windows. That said a $30 seems very aggressive and a good marketing strategy in bad times. Let's hope Microsoft gets the message as well with Windows 7 pricing.

Absolutely.

Back