Leaked Best Buy Memo Offers Windows 7 Details

Oh please. As I said earlier, the under the hood improvements are major for developers and power users.

I suspect that they're not charging as much since there aren't the tangible improvements that any consumer can get excited for (UI and workspace improvements, new included applications, etc). Nearly everything in 10.6 is under the hood: 64-bit apps from top to bottom, Grand Central to simplify programming applications for multicore CPUs, OpenCL for built-in GPU processing for regular applications, a HD footprint that is 6GB smaller due to filesystem compression, all of this on top of the improvements they've made to the included applications and a few UI improvements they've made (Dock Expose, etc).

If Windows was making so many radical under the hood improvements and changes, the absolute last thing I would call it is a "service pack". :rolleyes:

I think both companies are entitled to charge whatever they decide to.

I'll be completely honest. As I don't use a mac, I don't keep up much on their updates. However as I stated Apple THEMSELVES at one point stated that it was just going to be a service pack more or less and nothing more. I was assuming that they were pretty much sticking to what they were planning from the start. Basically what they admitted at one point was that it was time for an new MacOS to be releases, they didn't have a new one ready, so they were just releasing a service pack (collection of bug fixes and a few new features) and calling it the next version. I guess they must have changed their minds then and actually decided to make it a little more than just a patch rollup.

Exavior's sarcasm regarding the significance of changes in Windows 7 was clearly lost on Serpico :p

Exavior's sarcasm regarding the significance of changes in Windows 7 was clearly lost on Serpico :p

Oh no, I completely got that. As I said, the very last thing I would call the improvements in Windows 7 is a service pack. Both updates are IMHO significant, certainly significant enough for both companies to charge whatever they want for them.

BTW, get ready for huge amounts of whining if the rumors of Windows 7 pricing from a few weeks ago is true and they price it higher than Vista, that'll be fun to read, about as much fun to read as all the people crying over a full price Left 4 Dead 2 sequel. :rolleyes:

Back