Leaked 256 driver supports 3D Vision Surround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I might very well be since I haven't really been very interested in 3d, but I thought 3d required a steady 120fps being pushed to the monitors to keep the 3d effect going.
Just because the monitors have to operate at 120Hz, does not mean you need 120FPS.

For lower frame rates, a pull-down is used. For example, if the game is running at 60FPS, each frame simply gets displayed twice. If the game is running at 30FPS, each frame gets displayed 4 times.

The only reason the monitors are 120Hz is to help eliminate the flickering added by LCD shutter glasses.

I am playing in 3D VISION SURROUND with two GTX 480's and three Samsung 2233RZ displays which are, in fact, 3D Vision Ready.

I took a pic since apparently that's worth a thousand words.

2010-05-22%2009.11.07.JPG

Can you take another pic with all 3 monitors in view. Thanks :) Now let me clean the drool off my keyboard. Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, happy to see people able to utilize this feature. Hopefully x64 will soon follow.

"Right, well, on odd frames 1 screen needs to be transferred from the main card to the secondary, and on even frames 2 screens need to be transferred from the secondary to the main. It's whether the drivers are smart enough to cut up the frame before sending, they should be but it's conceivable they aren't able to transfer a partial frame buffer also (remember it doesn't render it as 3 1920x1080 frames but 1 giant 5760x1080 frame)"

If Nvidia doesn't have the drivers cutting it up into usable frames on the rendering card I would be surprised.

"Eyefinity runs off a single card but when you Crossfire them the secondary card still needs to send its entire frame (5760x1080) to the primary for output. Nvidia's implementation may actually have an edge here because sending the entire 5760x1080 frame every other frame incurs higher bandwidth spikes (no data, big data, no data, big data) than sending 1920x1080 on odd frames and 3840x1080 on even frames (small data, medium, small, medium)."

From an engineering standpoint, there should be quite a few places to save bandwidth. Like you point out here.

"The memory capacity doesn't play a role on this bandwidth requirement, I'm only talking about the output frame which needs to be sent out to the appropriate video outputs and the SLI bridge is the fastest way to get it there."

Ahh but memory capacity does indeed play a role in bandwidth. If the card doesn't have enough memory to store everything, and considering today's games that actually happens more and more, especially with 3 monitor setups, then the card to has to pass that information off to either system memory or pagefile, using the pci-e bus, then bring it back to gpu ram when needed.

Ahh but memory capacity does indeed play a role in bandwidth. If the card doesn't have enough memory to store everything, and considering today's games that actually happens more and more, especially with 3 monitor setups, then the card to has to pass that information off to either system memory or pagefile, using the pci-e bus, then bring it back to gpu ram when needed.

But we're talking a 24MB buffer that's got VRAM space reserved for it with priority over all the texture and geometry data and has to be sent back and forth in some manner between the cards every frame, so for that particular facet the memory capacity isn't going to play a role.

Also the 5870 2GB E6 edition gained 0 performance over the 5870 1GB even at triple monitor resolutions so these cards still aren't VRAM limited yet.

Poor Ati fanboys.

I expect huge rise of eco friendly gamers on the forums once the red team loses eyefinity adventage :D

Eco friendly? Hah! I've got an HD5850 (Eyefinity) and a GTX260 (PhysX) in the same rig. :p

ATi users can do 3D, and 3D surround, with IZ3D's drivers. A few people over on WidescreenGamingForum have been showing off Eyefinity setups working with 3D glasses for a while now.

is it possible to play with 3d on just 2 monitors? I'm not sure how effective that would be, but it would be nice to have.

Eco friendly? Hah! I've got an HD5850 (Eyefinity) and a GTX260 (PhysX) in the same rig. :p

ATi users can do 3D, and 3D surround, with IZ3D's drivers. A few people over on WidescreenGamingForum have been showing off Eyefinity setups working with 3D glasses for a while now.

that's cool. i was not aware of this.

It seems kinda lazy of ATI, touting in their 10.3 driver information they've now added support for 3rd party 3d drivers. When they finally get 3d support for their 5 series cards, I'll sell my gtx 470 on the spot for a 5870.

When they finally get 3d support for their 5 series cards, I'll sell my gtx 470 on the spot for a 5870.

The IZ3D drivers I just posted work with the 5870... or are you waiting for ATi to implement it in the Catalyst drivers themselves?

Edit: Figured I might as well include a screenshot to back myself up. Here's Portal running on an HD5850, in Eyefinity, with the IZ3D driver (I don't have 120Hz monitors, so I used some cheap Red/Cyan glasses):

Last edited:
It seems kinda lazy of ATI, touting in their 10.3 driver information they've now added support for 3rd party 3d drivers. When they finally get 3d support for their 5 series cards, I'll sell my gtx 470 on the spot for a 5870.

That would be a side/down-grade, really.... and with these new drivers the 470 looks to take an even bigger lead especially where it matters (minimum FPS).

one thing i understand from this thread is after 7 month of nothingness people really get too much excited lol nice to see nvidia boys finally getting what they were promised

i wonder how it will work with 3d and multi-monitor, unless u sit far back, only the center screen will look 3rd me thinks

anyway, it's funny people who were saying Eyefinity is a waste are now all about multi-monitor gaming =)

That would be a side/down-grade, really.... and with these new drivers the 470 looks to take an even bigger lead especially where it matters (minimum FPS).

Going from a GTX 470 to a 5870 is a side/down-grade? Bwahahaha. We get that you have a hard on for Fermi, but seriously dude, lay down the crack pipe. And the GTX 470 currently doesn't have *any* lead in min FPS, so it can't take a bigger lead since it isn't leading in the first place.

As for the SLI bandwidth issue, I don't believe 3D requires anywhere close to 2x the bandwidth of non-3D. Strictly speaking the cards don't need to render two complete frames for each eye, but rather 1 complete frame + depth information. I believe that is how Sony is planning on getting 3D output from the PS3 despite being stuck with HDMI 1.3. Whether or not Nvidia is doing that, I have no idea, but it is possible.

i wonder how it will work with 3d and multi-monitor, unless u sit far back, only the center screen will look 3rd me thinks

anyway, it's funny people who were saying Eyefinity is a waste are now all about multi-monitor gaming =)

I tested out the 3d with cyan glasses on my Eyefinity setup you get part of the side monitors in 3d and the rest is one eye only but also so far in peripheral that you don't notice it, plus it still coincides with just your left (or right) eye which is how your eyes natural see anyway (peripheral is inherently not '3d' irl). But as far as processing power is concerned it is a bit of waste having 3d out on the peripherals :)

I'm still pretty excited about it though, but no way I can afford the equipment required. Hoping 120hz monitors come down in price next year.

@ Unknown-One:
Yes, I'd prefer having the 3D officially supported/supplied by ATI themselves. The only reason I went with Nvidia for a new DirectX 11 card was the fact that they already have 3d available.

Yes, I'd prefer having the 3D officially supported/supplied by ATI themselves.
...but...why? Seems like a fairly arbitrary reason when 3D already works very well with ATi cards, even in Eyefinity.

Besides, after using both Nvidia's 3D display driver and the IZ3D driver, the IZ3D driver wins hands down. Go ahead and give it a shot, it works on Nvidia cards too. You can test it out to see if its level of support is acceptable before making any hardware investment.

The only reason I went with Nvidia for a new DirectX 11 card was the fact that they already have 3d available.
Nvidia already had 3D available...on a single screen. They still have yet to release proper 3D surround drivers...

It's kind of funny how the thread became about debating technologies...all I care is that it works for whatever company has it and it's amazing. I was always interested in eyefinity but didn't want to ditch the money I put into 3D Vision (monitor and kit are decently expensive). Now that I can have both triple screens and 3D, I'm very happy :)

For the question about how 3D looks on 3 monitors, I was skeptical at first but it just works as if it's one really wide monitor...you still see it all in 3D although your eyes blur out your peripherals just like in real life.

Oh and if anyone plays WoW, turn off the hardware cursor...it was making things stutter but perfectly smooth turned off.

I get full 3d using the nvidia built in 3d anaglyph option on my th2g setup and all 3 monitors are in 3d. Only getting 3d in the middle monitor is bunk. You will get 3d across ALL of your monitors.

I'm sorry but weren't the WHQL 256 drivers supposed to be released today? Today is the 24th. I would skip the betas and wait for the WHQL drivers. Smoke, I highly doubt those are the drivers that offer surround since they are being hosted on nvidia's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back