Leaked: 2080Ti FE 39% faster than 1080Ti FE on average

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
Sources:

Joker Productions

Good Old Gamer

10 games were benchmarked with the above GPUs and the results discussed in the above videos.

Keep in mind that the 2080 Ti FE is factory overclocked whereas the 1080 Ti FE does not come factory overclocked.

What does this tell me? If you game at 4k, the 2080TI will feel significantly better as that 30-40% performance increase will be noticeable. Go ahead and blow your money if you can afford the very latest on the market.

If you're at 1080P, this is probably a complete waste of money.

If you're at 1440P... this might be worth it but how does your budget look?

$1200 for a 2080 TI, $799 for a 2080, $650 for a 1080 Ti. Right now the worst value for the money looks to be the 2080 which should be on par with or minimally faster than the 1080 Ti.

Have these leaked performance numbers changed your mind or confirmed a view that you previously held about the new RTX series video cards?

I'll keep with my 1080TI this gen. It plays everything I've tried at max settings, easily within gsync range on my 3440x1440 monitor. As ray tracing becomes more widespread, I'll happily pick up a future second or third generation RTX card that supports the ray tracing with greater capability. Also - HDMI 2.1 spec is something I'm watching closely, and I'd probably prefer my next card supports that. (vendor agnostic VRR, up to 10k resolution at 120hz, lower latency, etc etc etc)

I'm still going to wait for Ampere before upgrading my GTX 1070...I game @1440p...ray-tracing is too new and needs a generation or 2 to work out the kinks...although if I can get a 1080Ti for ~$500 I would do it

I'm still going to wait for Ampere before upgrading my GTX 1070...I game @1440p...ray-tracing is too new and needs a generation or 2 to work out the kinks...although if I can get a 1080Ti for ~$500 I would do it
Picked up my second 1080 Ti FE for $489 (with shipping) off of ebay. Deals can be had if you look and have some patience.

Granted it was used and not new, but I've had no issues putting it under an AIO using a G10 bracket like my EVGA 1080 Ti FE. It even OCs the same, and works just fine with a ribbon SLI cable.

My only qualm is SLI support being lackluster, and at 4K it really helps in some games that support it.

I'll keep with my 1080TI this gen. It plays everything I've tried at max settings, easily within gsync range on my 3440x1440 monitor. As ray tracing becomes more widespread, I'll happily pick up a future second or third generation RTX card that supports the ray tracing with greater capability. Also - HDMI 2.1 spec is something I'm watching closely, and I'd probably prefer my next card supports that. (vendor agnostic VRR, up to 10k resolution at 120hz, lower latency, etc etc etc)

This

I know it's still early but if DLSS is supported in every game that matters from here on out, then these types of results are basically only useful for old games.

I'd rather have a card that's 30% faster in regular games + 100% faster with DLSS than 50-60% faster and no DLSS at all. The way we analyze GPU performance is [potentially] going to be fundamentally different after this.

Sources:

Joker Productions

Good Old Gamer

10 games were benchmarked with the above GPUs and the results discussed in the above videos.

Keep in mind that the 2080 Ti FE is factory overclocked whereas the 1080 Ti FE does not come factory overclocked.

What does this tell me? If you game at 4k, the 2080TI will feel significantly better as that 30-40% performance increase will be noticeable. Go ahead and blow your money if you can afford the very latest on the market.

$1200 for a 2080 TI, $799 for a 2080, $650 for a 1080 Ti. Right now the worst value for the money looks to be the 2080 which should be on par with or minimally faster than the 1080 Ti.

Have these leaked performance numbers changed your mind or confirmed a view that you previously held about the new RTX series video cards?

This is right in line with what I was expecting. The minimum FPS numbers are much improved. But with no info about the driver used I wouldn't call this definitive. If the embargo is up next Friday then I believe reviewers can already have the driver so they can do testing and have their review copied, edited and ready to publish.
10K 120 Hz is only possible with DSC and chroma subsampling, just so you're aware. Meaning more compression, increased latency, and lower color resolution. It's not like we're ready to play games at 5K yet, let alone 10K.

still waiting for official drivers and reviews... anyone can make 'leaks'

We know what the performance is going to be like. Tom Petersen has already said what to expect. 35% to 45% over previous generation in normal games.

It's the DLSS and Ray Tracing performance figures are the unknowns. How will DLSS work in reality and what level of Ray Tracing are we going to get when games are out.

Picked up my second 1080 Ti FE for $489 (with shipping) off of ebay. Deals can be had if you look and have some patience.

Granted it was used and not new

Nice deal. That's on the lower price end of what's out there for sale.

Sources:

Joker Productions

Good Old Gamer

WOW those are some big gains

I know it's still early but if DLSS is supported in every game that matters from here on out, then these types of results are basically only useful for old games.

I'd rather have a card that's 30% faster in regular games + 100% faster with DLSS than 50-60% faster and no DLSS at all. The way we analyze GPU performance is [potentially] going to be fundamentally different after this.

Agreed. We have to hold our judgment on these cards until we see just what DLSS does and how often it gets used. From what I've read, it sounds like Nvidia has told all developers that all they have to do is send their game over and they'll do the DLSS stuff for free. If that's the case, it might just be on nearly everything going forward. If it's really the gains that are being touted by Nvidia, it could be a real game changer.

Agreed. We have to hold our judgment on these cards until we see just what DLSS does and how often it gets used. From what I've read, it sounds like Nvidia has told all developers that all they have to do is send their game over and they'll do the DLSS stuff for free. If that's the case, it might just be on nearly everything going forward. If it's really the gains that are being touted by Nvidia, it could be a real game changer.

Even if they do the DLSS, which would be great, it's still way to much for a worth upgrade in terms of performance for the money over a 1080TI. If the 2080TI was priced where the 2080 is then I would sell my 2 1080TI's get 2 2080TI's. That makes no sense to me at a 1200 price point. Let alone at 2 x 1200 price point for 2400 dollars heh. The top dog card should be priced where the 2080 is at then this all comes together in my mind and makes sense and I can justify it. Where it stands right now. Not. Even. Close.
I'm good till next gen and that's Nvidia's fault not mine. The pricing is just ridiculous.

I'm still in the wait-and-see club. Mainly depends on how much headroom the 2080Ti's end up having. +35% speed vs. a stock 1080Ti is pretty meh already considering the price discrepancy, but really falls flat when many Ti's will score another 15% or so performance with an OC. $1200 for 20% is pretty terrible, it's going to be up to final clock numbers to push that out to a respectable lead.

Nice deal. That's on the lower price end of what's out there for sale.

Ebay might fluctuate daily, but I also got a good condition 1080 Ti for $500. This was just 2 nights ago, and I watched 4 more go for $495 - $530, shipped. Ignoring the "Ti" moniker for a second, that's $260 less than my (now cancelled) 2080 pre-order, at what's looking to be about the same performance level.

If you don't care about ray tracing, I'd say go for it...or wait 12 more days. I doubt the market will really fluctuate much more in the short term.

I’ll wait for the reviews here at [H] before I even consider something so ridiculously priced.

Real question is can you clock it up as high as the 1080 Ti. Stock speeds are for chumps :p

...If you game at 4k, the 2080TI will feel significantly better as that 30-40% performance increase will be noticeable. Go ahead and blow your money if you can afford the very latest on the market.

Pretty much exactly why I pulled the trigger. There was absolutely NO way Nvidia would have released a product after 2 years that didn't give at least a 30% performance bump to the previous lineup for main stream games. If they did, they'd have a complete flop on their hands and the ole stock price would have plummeted, especially with crypto taking it on the chin lately and not boosting sales.

There are a handful of games that I play regularly that give me roughly 40-45 fps with full bells and whistles enabled with my current Titan X pascal, so getting 30-35% better performance hits exactly in the sweet spot for me.

35-40% additional performance for 70% (vs new 1080 ti) or 125% (vs used 1080 ti) price increase is a no go for me. Let me be clear, I do not expect performance to scale linearly with price but NVIDIA stretches too much the law of diminishing returns with the 2080 ti. While I have great expectation for Ray Tracing in the long term, I do not see tangible benefits for the next year or two (huge performance drop, limited to very few games,... ).

35-40% additional performance for 70% (vs new 1080 ti) or 125% (vs used 1080 ti) price increase is a no go for me. Let me be clear, I do not expect performance to scale linearly with price but NVIDIA stretches too much the law of diminishing returns with the 2080 ti. While I have great expectation for Ray Tracing in the long term, I do not see tangible benefits for the next year or two (huge performance drop, limited to very few games,... ).

There’s also DLSS that slaps on another ~50% performance but need reviews.

I like this launch more than any other personally. Within 7% max die with good cooling. Skipping the non-ti and Titan nonsense (I’d generally buy a Titan and custom cool it which costs another $200). I figure I’ll buy this card and I’ll be more than set for years. 1080ti does really well, but wanted slightly more umpf for my Vive Pro and this will do it.

There’s also DLSS that slaps on another ~50% performance but need reviews.

I like this launch more than any other personally. Within 7% max die with good cooling. Skipping the non-ti and Titan nonsense (I’d generally buy a Titan and custom cool it which costs another $200). I figure I’ll buy this card and I’ll be more than set for years. 1080ti does really well, but wanted slightly more umpf for my Vive Pro and this will do it.

1). DLSS is not some magic bullet for 50% more performance. We have no idea what it looks like, what games will make use of it, etc.
2). How can you possibly like a launch more than any other where the price between generations jumped from $699 to $1199? And then people wonder why they get saddled with unflattering names like "fanboy." I'll probably end up with a 2080Ti, but I sure as hell am not happy about the price, and have no love for Nvidia's pricing or business practices.

1). DLSS is not some magic bullet for 50% more performance. We have no idea what it looks like, what games will make use of it, etc.
2). How can you possibly like a launch more than any other where the price between generations jumped from $699 to $1199? And then people wonder why they get saddled with unflattering names like "fanboy." I'll probably end up with a 2080Ti, but I sure as hell am not happy about the price, and have no love for Nvidia's pricing or business practices.

Totally agree on the DLSS point. I keep seeing people quote this because it was in the nVidia slide deck. What if 50% performance is only comparing Turing w/DLSS against a 1080(Ti?) running 8xMSAA at 4k because it "looks the same" according to them (and incidentally generates an outsized performance gap that isn't as evident at lower res/AA settings)? Maybe it's awesome, maybe it's another marketing feature that isn't particularly great in the real world. This feature, even more so than the other performance numbers provided, requires context and analysis to determine how much anyone should care.

As for the pricing, I know the party line is that they changed pricing to reflect market conditions. The reality is that GPU mining is in the crapper right now and so demand is way, way down. There are no obvious market forces to make demand-driven pricing look like this, though I also wouldn't be surprised if the pricing had been decided by marketing "geniuses" 6-9 months ago when there were drivers for this sort of inflation. What there *is*, is a pretty underwhelming performance comparison (using the marketing slide deck, which almost certainly presents things in the most positive light anyway) if you matched up 2080-series parts against 1080-series parts based upon die-size and performance target within their own series. You have what would be a Titan part as the new Ti, the Ti as the new standard part, and so on. They shouldn't be comparing the 2080 to a 1080, they should be comparing it to a 1080Ti and using the 2070 to compare to a 1080. The 2080Ti should be compared to the last Titan.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when reviews hit. However, from where I'm sitting now it seems that there is a substantial price premium for a bunch of feature implementations rather than (or in conjunction with) a significant performance uplift. While some of these features seem to have significant performance increases tied to them, it also pays to keep in mind that this only applies to games in which they are used, and we don't know the context for any of this yet. As with many other new things in the 3D-accelerator space, it's likely to be a couple of generations before there's a significant base of games that use the features, and a few generations of cards with new performance targets. Just wait and see people.

2). How can you possibly like a launch more than any other where the price between generations jumped from $699 to $1199?

Speaking only for myself, but for those of us who really want the best we can get, traditionally we've had a few choices: 1) wait 6 months after the release of the non-ti for the ti model at a slightly increased price; 2) upgrade to the non-ti right away and hope the ti model comes within our step up window (or just sell used and take the hit); or 3) buy the Titan model and get ti levels of performance long before it's out at a pretty big price premium. With the 2080 series, all of that BS posturing and delay tactics are gone. Just release the whole stable simultaneously and price the higher end stuff accordingly. I understand that for the prices Nvidia is asking, most folks would probably say "well I could just get the Titan for the same price as the new ti", and they're not wrong, but it certainly does simplify everything.

Another way of looking at the pricing is this: since the 2080ti is being released alongside the 2080, something traditionally only the Titan model would have done - it's almost like they're re badging the Titan as the ti. When you look at it this way, the price makes a bit more sense. The 2080 non-ti, on the other hand...yeah, that one I don't get.

Do I wish the 2080s were cheaper? Sure. But this is what a completely lack of meaningful competition looks like, and they will get the prices they're asking.

I said “need reviews” for DLSS but you conveniently ignored that. From what we know it’s +50% performance. nVidia has a lot of the die committed to just that tech.

Compared to how the Titan would normally be launching now, with a vastly inferior cooler, VRMs and the same price (or more if you factor in water cooling) this launch is way better for us that would buy Titans. You really need to wait and see prices in 6-9 months when the ti would normally launch to see if they are screwing people IMO.

I said “need reviews” for DLSS but you conveniently ignored that. From what we know it’s +50% performance. nVidia has a lot of the die committed to just that tech.

Compared to how the Titan would normally be launching now, with a vastly inferior cooler, VRMs and the same price (or more if you factor in water cooling) this launch is way better for us that would buy Titans. You really need to wait and see prices in 6-9 months when the ti would normally launch to see if they are screwing people IMO.

No we dont know it's 50%, a supposed chart or statement proves nothing when we dont know what settings were used. Secondly if DLSS was a guaranteed 50% gain you would hear lots of companies telling you how they were going to implement it since it's simple to add as Nvidia does most of the work and their game is now 50% faster with no real work on their part. Also yes 1200 dollars for a video card is a screw job and a majority of people will see it that way, also the Ti is not a Titan we had that with the Titan V. See far to many trying to justify why they think the pricing is ok, you want it then thats fine by me, but your not convincing me it was a good deal for you. The 2000 series will speak for itself in a little over a week but I expect many to be underwhelmed between the price to performance ratio.

I'm already seeing Titan Vs sell for $1300 range on ebay so it's basically getting close to price parity with 2080 ti. Thing is if you slap a hybrid cooler on the TV its gonna be faster than a 2080 ti (up to 65% faster than 1080 ti in titles like sniper elite) so if u dont care about ray tracing it's an alternate solution for 4k.

That's abysmal performance for the price.

I'd rather first see what DLSS is all about and what effect it has on the PQ.

I'm already seeing Titan Vs sell for $1300 range on ebay so it's basically getting close to price parity with 2080 ti. Thing is if you slap a hybrid cooler on the TV its gonna be faster than a 2080 ti (up to 65% faster than 1080 ti in titles like sniper elite) so if u dont care about ray tracing it's an alternate solution for 4k.

Huh? Why do you say that? Everything I've seen (including [H] reviews) indicate that Titan V is about 30% faster than 1080ti. Everything we've seen to date indicate that 2080ti should be in the same ballpark, if not better... Worse, you're getting a used card for MORE money that doesn't support the latest tech. Ray tracing is probably not useful at all at this point, but DLSS definitely is, and I don't believe Titan V supports it.

Overall it sounds like a really bad idea. It's almost like people are looking for reasons to hate on the 2080 series cards, at this point... :confused:

Last edited:

No offense, but I'm tired of the "It's like a Titan" argument for the pricing. It's not a Titan. It's not going to perform like one. It's the same ~40% generational performance over the last Ti just with a price tag inexcusably high. I guess if the pricing comes down to around $800 (which is where it should be IMO) in the next 6-9 months maybe I'll agree with you, but right now the pricing comes with a bottle of lube straight from Dirty Mike and the Boys.

No offense, but I'm tired of the "It's like a Titan" argument for the pricing. It's not a Titan. It's not going to perform like one. It's the same ~40% generational performance over the last Ti just with a price tag inexcusably high. I guess if the pricing comes down to around $800 (which is where it should be IMO) in the next 6-9 months maybe I'll agree with you, but right now the pricing comes with a bottle of lube straight from Dirty Mike and the Boys.

Why do people keep trying to justify the price increases? We know why: No competition and the crypto craze. It has nothing to do with the % performance increase over last gen.

Why do people keep trying to justify the price increases? We know why: No competition and the crypto craze. It has nothing to do with the % performance increase over last gen.

The crypto craze was over 6 months ago. I guess I see the lack of competition being a factor but there is very little incentive to upgrade from the last generation with prices like this. If they wanted everyone to move they would price it accordingly.

...there is very little incentive to upgrade from the last generation with prices like this.

I think someone else said it best - for those folks who would have bought a Titan anyway at $1200 or more, this buy makes sense. Some people literally just want the fastest GPU they can get their hands on, cost (almost) not object. Not trying to justify price but there are apparently quite a few folks that are willing to put up money in the $1000-$1500 range for a card that's 30% faster than the last gen stuff. Especially when we haven't had any options at all to upgrade for less than $3k in the last 2 years.

Huh? Why do you say that? Everything I've seen (including [H] reviews) indicate that Titan V is about 30% faster than 1080ti. Everything we've seen to date indicate that 2080ti should be in the same ballpark, if not better... Worse, you're getting a used card for MORE money that doesn't support the latest tech. Ray tracing is probably not useful at all at this point, but DLSS definitely is, and I don't believe Titan V supports it.

Overall it sounds like a really bad idea. It's almost like people are looking for reasons to hate on the 2080 series cards, at this point... :confused:

20% improvement from OCing to 2ghz.

8_sniper-elite-titan-v-hybrid.png

20% improvement from OCing to 2ghz.

View attachment 102337

So, you're argument is that the Titan V OCs better than a card we've never seen OC'ed? Really? How do we even know this wasn't a factory freak? This is also 1 single game you're showing here. A game that's not particularly interesting because even a 1080ti can run it in UHD at substantially higher than 60fps (hell, the 1080 non-ti runs it >60fps).

[H] review shows the following for OC results on the Titan V:

Kingdom Come: Stock - 57.8; OC - 65.4 (13%)
PUBG: Stock - 59.2; OC - 66.1 (12%)
Wolfenstein II: Stock - 96; OC - 108.9 (13%)
ME:A: Stock - 63.5; OC - 71.9 (13%)
Sniper 4 Elite: Stock - 110.2; OC - 127.3 (16%)
The Division: Stock - 67.6; OC - 73.5 (9%)
Watch Dogs 2: Stock - 47.8; OC - 52.0 (9%)

I see nothing here that indicates that the Titan V OCs better than just about anything else out there. At least, not by more than maybe 2-3%, on average. And again, we've seen nothing about how the 2080ti OCs at all. Bearing in mind that the FE small OC is NOT the same as the [H] reviewers pulling out all the stops and pushing a card as far as it can go with 100% fan. Bottom line here is that it's a bit premature to make comparisons.

I'd also rather have a card that is a purpose built gaming card that I KNOW will receive driver updates for new games instead of having to use kudgey workarounds to get the best performance, as is the case for the Titan V.

Last edited:
20% improvement in fps from stock clockspeed.

Gotcha. Yeah stock clocks are pretty low. That’s why I am waiting for reviews and want something with a high power limit for a 2080ti, it’s in the same boat.

No we dont know it's 50%, a supposed chart or statement proves nothing when we dont know what settings were used. Secondly if DLSS was a guaranteed 50% gain you would hear lots of companies telling you how they were going to implement it since it's simple to add as Nvidia does most of the work and their game is now 50% faster with no real work on their part. Also yes 1200 dollars for a video card is a screw job and a majority of people will see it that way, also the Ti is not a Titan we had that with the Titan V. See far to many trying to justify why they think the pricing is ok, you want it then thats fine by me, but your not convincing me it was a good deal for you. The 2000 series will speak for itself in a little over a week but I expect many to be underwhelmed between the price to performance ratio.

It’s not a good deal. A 750mm^2+ die and GDDR6 is an AMAZING deal. I thought this sucker was going to be $2k+.

People on this forum are hilarious. They doubt nVidia who has outperformed expectations generation after generation but when it comes to AMD who has mauled every launch they expect near top card for half the price. Then it launches +$100 more with less performance. I just think it’s funny...

Last edited:
Back