League of Legends -- how many [H] regulars?

at minimum they should significantly reduce the scoring impacts.

AFK for more then 5 minutes and all scoring in the game both positive and negative is reduced by 80%. People shouldn't get full reward for getting 50 - 20 on a 5v4 just as people shouldn't get full penalty for getting 20-50 on a 4v5.

But I guess the odds of getting an AFKer is equal on both sides so doing nothing is still technically fair.

....Its just that 4 in a row and on my first 4 ranked games is just a bit much. Hopefully I can go the next 6 with a solid 5 v 5 win or lose is fine.

Yea AFK is a tough beast to beat... because life DOES happen. I've had to AFK matches before due to unexpected things. Other times i've AFK'd on accident (whoops did i queue up?? sorry team!!)

IMO they should either:

A) Boot player, then allow another to join at the average level and gold of everyone on the map.
B) Have an AI take over.
C) Allow immediate surrender if so desired.

Of course, they should just do C anyway. If the entire team wants to surrender, let them! I don't care about the winning team's fun. Is it annoying to get surrendered at 15 when you're winning? Sure it is... but usually that's riot's fault for having Rock-Paper-Scissors balance. If the match is so imbalanced that you're up 15-0 at the 7 minute mark, just let the poor people surrender.

. Other times i've AFK'd on accident (whoops did i queue up?? sorry team!!)

That won't happen anymore. If you que'd up and don't accept, you don't get to champ selection. If you accept, and get to champ selection and forget to pick, everyone gets dumped back to the Q.

The only times I afk is in ARAM, which is essentially my "I'm too drunk for ranked or my friends might show up soon" game mode.

IMO they should either:

A) Boot player, then allow another to join at the average level and gold of everyone on the map.
B) Have an AI take over.
C) Allow immediate surrender if so desired.

B is definitely not an option. Around Platinum and Diamond you'd be much better off 4 vs 5 than 4 + AI vs 5

B is definitely not an option. Around Platinum and Diamond you'd be much better off 4 vs 5 than 4 + AI vs 5

They could program the AI to fix this. The only problem with AI is they are easy to gank and take advantage of. To fix this they'd have to:

1. Not let the other team know someone has disconnected so they won't know its a bot right away.

2. Program the bot to only follow someone and have it collect additional gold to keep up. 1 vs 1+bot is still better then 1 vs 1. And 5 v 4+bot is still better then 5v4.

Also finished my first 10 ranked games. Did 7 wins 3 loses and had 4 afk games. Placed me as Silver 2 which seems to be right about the middle. Kind of funny considering It hasn't even been 2 months yet and I truly only know 3 camps.

They could program the AI to fix this. The only problem with AI is they are easy to gank and take advantage of. To fix this they'd have to:

1. Not let the other team know someone has disconnected so they won't know its a bot right away.

2. Program the bot to only follow someone and have it collect additional gold to keep up. 1 vs 1+bot is still better then 1 vs 1. And 5 v 4+bot is still better then 5v4.

I doubt anyone could code AI that well. Even if you coded it to just follow someone, it just becomes a larger payload. People that are good in this game are merciless. The slightest weakness will be exploited over and over.

Also finished my first 10 ranked games. Did 7 wins 3 loses and had 4 afk games. Placed me as Silver 2 which seems to be right about the middle. Kind of funny considering It hasn't even been 2 months yet and I truly only know 3 camps.

This game is very much like rock-paper-scissors. Every game in recent memory, save for one, has been a complete landslide one way or the other. I'm actually getting to the point where it's costing me some of my fun. It's not very exciting, even when you win and are kicking ass, to have games that are 30-2 or 2-30. When I win in a game like this i need to feel like i did something right, not just picked the right combination of champions.

I doubt anyone could code AI that well. Even if you coded it to just follow someone, it just becomes a larger payload. People that are good in this game are merciless. The slightest weakness will be exploited over and over.

Not to mention that you'd have to code portions of it for every champion, which they've already shown is too much work for them.

This game is very much like rock-paper-scissors. Every game in recent memory, save for one, has been a complete landslide one way or the other. I'm actually getting to the point where it's costing me some of my fun. It's not very exciting, even when you win and are kicking ass, to have games that are 30-2 or 2-30. When I win in a game like this i need to feel like i did something right, not just picked the right combination of champions.

As you get higher up, it changes a bit. Every now and then you will have landslide games in either direction. It can be a very rock paper scissory game but it can also be interesting in situations where you intentionally pick a champion that will lose your lane matchup due to the overall team comp. There are two main things you have to look at in champ select; who you are matched up against and what you can bring to balance out your team.

I just hope that once I get into gold and plat people stop quitting during laneing phase just because they are 2 or 3 kills behind....I just hope people stop quitting in general. Once that Vote to quit window pops up or some jackass says GG and stays at base its over mentally for most people.

I hope that higher level people have seen and done enough comebacks to know not to quit. Had a top lane Yi that went from 1-10 to 21-15ish in less then 10 minutes....especially if you have late game people like Nasus you should never quit.

League has been getting ddos'd past couple days so much, can't play it right now cause of it.

I just hope that once I get into gold and plat people stop quitting during laneing phase just because they are 2 or 3 kills behind....I just hope people stop quitting in general. Once that Vote to quit window pops up or some jackass says GG and stays at base its over mentally for most people.

I hope that higher level people have seen and done enough comebacks to know not to quit. Had a top lane Yi that went from 1-10 to 21-15ish in less then 10 minutes....especially if you have late game people like Nasus you should never quit.

I understand your side but I can also understand the other side. If it is a ranked match I never give up regardless of the score. However it can become extremely disheartening if your team is just giving up kill after kill because no matter your team comp if the other team gets fed enough their is pretty much nothing you can do to keep them from continuing their steamroll. In normals I feel that they need to have a better surrender mechanic because waiting until 20 minutes sometimes is just way to long when you have: multiple afks, other team has 20+ kills on you, etc. I also must say I get hella pissed when 3 people wish to surrender but the 2 duo queued players bot(who have been feeding all game) refuse to surrender because the want to troll or w/e reason they have.

I understand your side but I can also understand the other side. If it is a ranked match I never give up regardless of the score. However it can become extremely disheartening if your team is just giving up kill after kill because no matter your team comp if the other team gets fed enough their is pretty much nothing you can do to keep them from continuing their steamroll. In normals I feel that they need to have a better surrender mechanic because waiting until 20 minutes sometimes is just way to long when you have: multiple afks, other team has 20+ kills on you, etc. I also must say I get hella pissed when 3 people wish to surrender but the 2 duo queued players bot(who have been feeding all game) refuse to surrender because the want to troll or w/e reason they have.

I agree with you in a lot of regards on this. Ranked should probably be the same surrender scheme it is currently, but normals should be much more lax. Normals I could see a 15 min surrender simple majority being a much better system.

I agree with you in a lot of regards on this. Ranked should probably be the same surrender scheme it is currently, but normals should be much more lax. Normals I could see a 15 min surrender simple majority being a much better system.

Yeap. Not sure why the vote must be unanimous. If people want to surrender and their team doesn't, usually they stop playing or play more carelessly--such that the game should have ended there anyway.

They should also waive the time restriction if the team kills reaches a certain ratio.

In some cases in ranked, I've seen games that I wanted to surrender on turn around because two people who we initially hated for not letting us surrender wouldn't give up. Some team comps are pretty tremendous at turning shit around late game (Wombo Combo comps etc) I've seen a game where we were up 20 and lost because amumu + morgana + sona = devastation.

2 main things that make good players. 1 surviving ganks and 2 learning how to play and come back when behind....I mean everyone can play this game feed.

Even if you are 10 - 40 you can still make the game worth your time by working on your behind game....sure you are going to lose....Sure surrendering will save you like 10 minutes of time...but what the fuck is 10 minutes just stick it out have some fun.

I do surrender sometimes like if we have an AFK and are 10 - 20. but if we are 25-40 end game surrender is not an option. At end game kills pretty much don't matter.

2 main things that make good players. 1 surviving ganks and 2 learning how to play and come back when behind....I mean everyone can play this game feed.

Even if you are 10 - 40 you can still make the game worth your time by working on your behind game....sure you are going to lose....Sure surrendering will save you like 10 minutes of time...but what the fuck is 10 minutes just stick it out have some fun.

I do surrender sometimes like if we have an AFK and are 10 - 20. but if we are 25-40 end game surrender is not an option. At end game kills pretty much don't matter.

Agree. It's a really tricky thing to do, but there are a number of pretty amazing ways to come back from being down. Split pushing, working on your farm game, keeping vision and looking for really good fights.

Yea that's true... sometimes

Other times things just get to a point where they're walking all over you and there is no 'behind game' to even attempt. They just chase everyone down and kill them.

Yea that's true... sometimes

Other times things just get to a point where they're walking all over you and there is no 'behind game' to even attempt. They just chase everyone down and kill them.

It's a good idea to practice even in those situations. Sometimes it is hopeless because your team is incapable of playing from behind, but it is still beneficial to work on your skillset. That's what this game is about really. The more consistently you can produce quality plays, the more likely you are to win in the long run.

Oh I don't disagree that you can come back. I have played multiple games where my nexus is open but we managed to play smart, get 2 aces, and push for the win. But there are times where you have to admit it is an inevitable loss no matter what you do because you can't carry your whole team. 25-40 isn't bad IMO. It's games that you are 3-30 at 15 minutes or even 20 minutes. Where each of their team can practically tower dive 1v3 and come out ahead, and each of your team is 3 levels behind, these are the games that just aren't worth playing when you pop your head out at your tower to get some CS and out pops one person to tower dive and kill you immediately(I am looking at you Kha'zix). These games are not fun at all for me to play because at this point it isn't about skill matchup it is the fact that the enemy is so farmed that you have to pray that they mess up just so you can get away without dying again beneath your turret.

In other words: There is behind and then there is so far behind that they don't even use lube.

It's a good idea to practice even in those situations. Sometimes it is hopeless because your team is incapable of playing from behind, but it is still beneficial to work on your skillset. That's what this game is about really. The more consistently you can produce quality plays, the more likely you are to win in the long run.

I guess I am just not well versed enough but I have been in games where I can't even farm at tower without dying(surrounded by teammates) by just a couple of the other team max. How do you practice your skillset or quality of plays? You can't go into your jungle to ward because they are already dominating it, they can 2v5 your team, etc? I have found this to be extrememly irritating as an adc because they take the brunt of the focus in these situations and are typically extremely squishy to begin with.

I guess I am just not well versed enough but I have been in games where I can't even farm at tower without dying(surrounded by teammates) by just a couple of the other team max. How do you practice your skillset or quality of plays? You can't go into your jungle to ward because they are already dominating it, they can 2v5 your team, etc? I have found this to be extrememly irritating as an adc because they take the brunt of the focus in these situations and are typically extremely squishy to begin with.

But those games surrendering is only going to save you a few minutes because they are just going to mop the floor with you....the only real reasons to surrender is 1 you are really hard up for 5 minutes, 2 you don't want to mess up your KDR and other stats.

Even then they could suffer an AFK and an unfair 5 v 5 might turn into a possible fair 4 v 5....I guess I have had never quit ingrained into my personality for so long it just pains me to surrender...I'd rather die.

But those games surrendering is only going to save you a few minutes because they are just going to mop the floor with you....the only real reasons to surrender is 1 you are really hard up for 5 minutes, 2 you don't want to mess up your KDR and other stats.

Even then they could suffer an AFK and an unfair 5 v 5 might turn into a possible fair 4 v 5....I guess I have had never quit ingrained into my personality for so long it just pains me to surrender...I'd rather die.

Those games can take up to 5-15 minutes more and tbh if it is a normal. . . Yeah I would rather spend that 5-15 minutes starting a new game because I don't have all that much time to play some nights. Some nights I only have an hour or so to play so If my team surrenders at 20 minutes I can get another game in. If however it plods along for another 10 minutes then I am hesitant to play another.

I guess I just get to the point of being frustrated because my deaths are no longer a matter of skill but are simply due to the other team having a massively overpowering item build and levels. If it is at the point where if I am clever/tricky/better player and I could actually do something sure that is fun and worth playing.

around that point, it's a lost cause completely. As an ADC, there are typically two builds for your character that are used at top levels. One is the common build which happens when it's a normal situation and the other is one when you are behind. (I don't ADC often so I can't go into it a hell of a lot but there are different builds that enable you to stay in lane more easily and still have impact mid game despite being behind.)

around that point, it's a lost cause completely. As an ADC, there are typically two builds for your character that are used at top levels. One is the common build which happens when it's a normal situation and the other is one when you are behind. (I don't ADC often so I can't go into it a hell of a lot but there are different builds that enable you to stay in lane more easily and still have impact mid game despite being behind.)

I understand that there are alternate builds for every position to help out the flow of the game but my point was simply that I feel some games are a lost cause. Sure you could attempt to get back in and possibly even make it to mid early late game but in 90% of games if the other team has a 20+ kill spread on you by 20 minutes or less you are just dragging the game out. I would rather work on a new game that is perhaps a closer matchup that actually is all about skill matchup and performance especially since it is just a normal match.

I love playing games that stretch to 50+ minutes that have both teams with inhibs down and both teams are remarkably even making you think about the plays and how to win that last engage.

That's the thing though, and the reason you should never "give up."

You can ALWAYS come back, even in games that seem lost early and the other team is in your base with inhibs down and up 15+ kills.

Late game all it takes is a SINGLE mistake, a baron that's warded and your team aces them and pushes or something else to turn the tide of the game.

That is why many people in ranked will refuse to surrender.

I understand that there are alternate builds for every position to help out the flow of the game but my point was simply that I feel some games are a lost cause. Sure you could attempt to get back in and possibly even make it to mid early late game but in 90% of games if the other team has a 20+ kill spread on you by 20 minutes or less you are just dragging the game out. I would rather work on a new game that is perhaps a closer matchup that actually is all about skill matchup and performance especially since it is just a normal match.

I love playing games that stretch to 50+ minutes that have both teams with inhibs down and both teams are remarkably even making you think about the plays and how to win that last engage.

Agreed. It's a pity that the momentum builds so quickly in this game that these fun even games only happen about a tenth of the time.

You can ALWAYS come back, even in games that seem lost early and the other team is in your base with inhibs down and up 15+ kills.

Late game all it takes is a SINGLE mistake, a baron that's warded and your team aces them and pushes or something else to turn the tide of the game.

Not always... usually in snowballed matches the only way to come back is for the enemy to fuck up either by getting greedy or not playing together, etc. If they play well and are fed there's no chance in hell you're winning.

Getting to late game is near impossible in the games I am describing though. GP5 is so slow in standard 5's that if you are not able to get any kills and very little CS then you could be waiting for a very long time to get there. If you have for a example a snow balled Akali/Katarina/Kha'zix etc who can literally kill you under tower and escape with little life lost and continue doing that preventing you from farming at all they can in essence prolong the game by not taking turrets fast but just keeping you from getting much more than your standard GP5. Playing 45 minutes even 30 minutes of doing nothing but dying is not my idea of a fun game.

This I agree with and follow.

Season 4 Updates: I had horrible luck during placements (4 losses due to afk and 2 due to feeders and 1 close match) 3-7 and got dropped into gold. Have been really busy with work so I haven't had all that much time to start the grind up again. That said I went from gold 3 to Plat this week and I may grind out Diamond tomorrow (Have work off due to a double shift today).

Notes from Gold:
I've noticed that people are way more hostile in the Gold area and often accuse people of having elo boosted or buying accounts etc. It's pretty entertaining though a few of the people who have said that to me don't have an idea of what is going on with the game and are quick to blame everyone else.

Notes in General:
I've taken to playing a defensive thresh for the most part during my games. The main philosophy behind this is to disrupt whoever is strongest on their team. You don't go for the clutch hooks like a blitzcrank would or even attempt to go hyperaggressive, but rather you disrupt the other team when they go for your back line and only when they do. It's worked really well and I'm curious to see how it changes my play at Diamond.

Random Advice:
Find a duo queue partner you can rely on and ignore pretty much anything said during any match. A lot of people in lower Leagues (Silver up to Platinum, and even some Diamond) will give advice non stop when they think you are making mistakes, and almost all the time, their advice is poor.

I just started playing this about a week ago with my son and some of his friends. It seems interesting with some major imbalances (or else its too early for me to figure out how one character can blow through 4 others without a scratch.

I just started playing this about a week ago with my son and some of his friends. It seems interesting with some major imbalances (or else its too early for me to figure out how one character can blow through 4 others without a scratch.

It uses Rock-Paper-Scissors balance, with momentum on top (gold acquired and stat and damage scaling per level).

So if you die, you aren't getting experience for the duration, while the enemy is, and they're getting gold from farming in addition to the gold they got from killing you.

You basically have to play a single character for a long enough time to figure out who that character owns and who that character gets owned by. Then something which can kinda resemble balance emerges.

It uses Rock-Paper-Scissors balance, with momentum on top (gold acquired and stat and damage scaling per level).

So if you die, you aren't getting experience for the duration, while the enemy is, and they're getting gold from farming in addition to the gold they got from killing you.

You basically have to play a single character for a long enough time to figure out who that character owns and who that character gets owned by. Then something which can kinda resemble balance emerges.

Or he can just go to lolcounter and see how different characters fare against eachother.

Or he can just go to lolcounter and see how different characters fare against eachother.

Yea I guess. I've tried to use sites like that and my problem with them is that:

1) there's just too much to memorize if you're not already familiar with a champion and have first-hand experiences with who the counters are
2) there's never any dates or anything on them. Balance changes with each patch, are they kept up to date?
3) who is submitting this information and is it able to be abused?

Yea I guess. I've tried to use sites like that and my problem with them is that:

1) there's just too much to memorize if you're not already familiar with a champion and have first-hand experiences with who the counters are
2) there's never any dates or anything on them. Balance changes with each patch, are they kept up to date?

lolcounter and champ select are usually pretty reliable. I have played a few champs for the first time in ranked based on countering other people and it usually goes pretty well if you have an idea of how they should be played.

lolcounter is updated continuously. It has a database it keeps and is constantly updated with new matches, outcomes, etc. The only thing it can't account for really is user ability. Someone who is really good can overcome their counter with proper strategy and team play. But its great for new players who keep wondering why they are getting owned by certain champs.

Anyone else excited for the next playstyle being released this week? 6 champs on SR. . . I am actually intrigued by this because I think it can through a whole lot of new ways to play the game instead of the basic meta. If it turns out like I am thinking I might be voting to keep this over all for one at the end of the season.

Back