League of Legends -- how many [H] regulars?

I just played this game for the vast majority of my weekend and went ahead and bought a retail copy as well. Loving the game, I do some real damage with Teemo. It took some time to get the feel of the gameplay down as far as running in and out but i'm getting the hang of it now.

If anyone wants to add me user name is Bomber18.

I just played this game for the vast majority of my weekend and went ahead and bought a retail copy as well. Loving the game, I do some real damage with Teemo. It took some time to get the feel of the gameplay down as far as running in and out but i'm getting the hang of it now.

If anyone wants to add me user name is Bomber18.

Yeah, I did the same thing, played the freebie version and liked it so I got the retail version. I'll add ya. My handle is "ikabobi."

Where do you buy this "retail" copy?

I got mine at Target ($20), you can also get it on Amazon or a number of different places.

Here's what's included:

$10 of Riot Points

4 Runes
Greater Mark of Malice (Improves your critical chance)
Greater Seal of Vitality (Increases your health per level )
Greater Glyph of Knowledge (Increases your mana per level)
Greater Quintessence of Revival (Decreases your Death Timer)

20 Champions
Alistar
Amumu
Annie
Cho'gath
Evelynn
Fiddlesticks
Janna
Kayle
Malphite
Morgana
Nasus
Rammus
Ryze
Sivir
Teemo
Tristana
Tryndamere
Veigar
Warwick
Zilean

Where do you buy this "retail" copy?

I got mine at Best Buy. I actually went to like 4 different stores because everyone I saw had the packaging partially open and I was fearful that someone had already used the authorization key. Seriously how hard is it to at least have a scratch off layer on top of the code?

I'll add you when I get home Kabob.

I hosted a LAN party last Friday and we had 10 comps + 2 laptops.

80% of the time was spent playing LoL. It was a blast. Burgers, snacks & up until 3am. Crazy.
Who says LANs are a dying breed?!

MuseVision - though if your still new sub 300 games please don't test out heros while playing with me ;P a person can do poorly because of unique game circumstances but if theyre still struggling with concepts and basic survival/team strategies & tactics I'll cry - so sub 300 win players use your best! :D

Veteran Dota/Hon players dont need 300+ wins on their lol account :D

(though I've seen plenty of times 800-1200 win players that were just horrible)

^^ yea time spent does not guarantee skill

Can't call someone with 1000 wins good, and on the same token, it's silly to even call someone who is 0-8-2 in a match a shitty player... because really, you don't know jack shit. That dude with the bad game score could be drunk or otherwise fucked up, could be distracted by roommates, could be playing with a brand-new character, or maybe even his kid is playing. Or shit... maybe it's because he kept getting ganked and received no help from his team? Too many possibilities.

^^ never have time to spew that at someone calling me a shitty player... so fuck, y'all get to hear it :)

You know what i'm talking about....

You know what i'm talking about....

Sure do... in fact last night I kept getting killed repeatedly by Eve while playing Lux because my teammates, Cho and Mundo specifically, would just sit there and watch her beat the shit out of me while standing right next to me. They'd just keep on doing whatever they were doing, and it wasn't like they were involved in combat with another champion either. So yeah, you're pretty reliant on getting a good team if you're a squishy dps/support champion and hope to have a positive kill ratio.

I be playing from time to time. I wish I was good at the game though. I bought Sivir, any good tips/builds on playing her?

^^ time played will get you familiar with the items and possible builds and how all the works... for now, check out mobafire.com so you can at least follow a 'top rated build', and suck less than other noobs.

Protip: never think you have to go all-in for that kill. It's usually not worth it, and you get fucked out of the kill more often than not anyway.

I've only seen a warmogs good in a few cases. It can tip many tankes over the "impossible to kill" edge if they have some other tank items fit to match who is doing the damage on the opposing team...

Mundo speciflcally makes good use of the item imo

in most scenarios though, i prefer taking a real tank item like Ronduin's Omen or Frozen heart.. Armor + Utility > pure HP

Yeah often times when I play Amumu i build for either MR or Armor or both. I almost always build a banshees and sunfire. Banshees doubles up because amumu is pretty mana hungry.

Reading this thread has me wanting to download it and play the free portion of it when i get home to see if I like it. I used to play DotA way back when it first started and for a year or 2 after that, I was actually pretty damn good at it. I tried HoN last year and was turned off by the craptastic community that has absolutely no patience for beginners.

How much do heroes cost?

Reading this thread has me wanting to download it and play the free portion of it when i get home to see if I like it. I used to play DotA way back when it first started and for a year or 2 after that, I was actually pretty damn good at it. I tried HoN last year and was turned off by the craptastic community that has absolutely no patience for beginners.

How much do heroes cost?

Its basically free, you earn IP ( point system ) for wins and losses, you can use those points to buy heros. Basically the more you play the more points you get to buy heros.

Every week or two is a rotation of i think 6-7 heros for free. Basically you store up IP and if a hero suits your fancy you buy them when you have enough ip.

The $$$$ system is for those that are impatient or want to buy things like (skins) to make their character look differently.

*note there is a free skin community - but it basically only modifies pre-existing skins.

You can get all 72-73 heros without paying a cent, you can play all types of games without paying a cent.

More or less. It just takes time to farm the points to purchase all the heros you wanna play - though getting good at each hero will more than give you all the points you want or need.

If you want to play custom games against bots - you can also earn ip (the free points) for each win loss, so you can practice and experiment etc. Along with a AI CO-OP mode where you can invite friends to play against bots.

Note 2 : use the /ignore USERNAME function liberally if someone turns troll on chat before you get irritated.

I be playing from time to time. I wish I was good at the game though. I bought Sivir, any good tips/builds on playing her?

Make sure to get a point in her spell-shield, her strength is to keep her distance and continuously hit minions - max out the bounce, so you can hit the enemy heros without being near them - keep a finger on your spell shield ready to hit it to avoid enemy specials.

She is a stand-and-deliver champ generally speaking. Maintain distance, and if you see opening - stand and deliver ;p Usually you want to have 3-5 minions around you to also add their fire early game, and refuse to over-extend. Especially if they attempt to bait you out into the open - neeked.

Once she starts adding some top tier damage and top tier speed - she starts churning butter - then you add a bloodthirster or 2 and your a life-stealing machine.

Sure do... in fact last night I kept getting killed repeatedly by Eve while playing Lux because my teammates, Cho and Mundo specifically, would just sit there and watch her beat the shit out of me while standing right next to me. They'd just keep on doing whatever they were doing, and it wasn't like they were involved in combat with another champion either. So yeah, you're pretty reliant on getting a good team if you're a squishy dps/support champion and hope to have a positive kill ratio.

With randoms you got to CYA - Cover Your Own Butt, which means an early oracles and leaving yourself an exit strategy so eve doesn't rock you. Stack on enough hp/mana/AP
- RoA + Arch Angels - as long as you can maintain your distance you can go artillery on her and nuke her to hell.

Never rely, trust, or believe in solo random Q :D

i signed up for League of Legends

me = HellsThunder

Last edited:
I added you Fail. My in-game name is Nekronic.

Just to repost it for all, there's a chat room, [H]ard, you can set it to auto-join on login so you only need to make it once.

With randoms you got to CYA - Cover Your Own Butt, which means an early oracles and leaving yourself an exit strategy so eve doesn't rock you.

Never rely, trust, or believe in solo random Q :D

Yea i'm definitely learning this. The worst is when i'm playing a support character so I want to do all I can to help my lane buddy but when they charge in like an idiot I have to tell myself it's not worth feeding the other team two deaths just to feel like I did something.

Gave Lux a whirl last night. I ♥ t3h uber laser!!

Different champions fill different roles. Sivir is a pusher, don't expect to rack up tons of champion kills with her. What she does do is kill towers quite effectively.

Check the Leaguecraft champion guides for some guidance.

How much do heroes cost?

Several of the really good champions are quite cheap (Ashe and Master Yi are 450 IP each which is ~3-4 wins), others are crazy expensive (6300 IP champions...don't bother for a while).

I'm a beginner myself and overall the community has been very forgiving. Granted, there's always going to be a few jerks in-game who believe that they are the greatest player ever and surely you suck (I had a guy who blamed me for himelf going 4/17/3 against the AI because I "wasn't helping enough"), but overall it's a good group of gamers.

If you're just getting back into the scene I'd start off co-op vs. AI to get familiarized and to learn the heroes. It's what I do the majority of the time as I'm still learning and trying all of the heroes. You don't earn as much XP or IP, but it'll show you the ropes.

i signed up for League of Legends

me = HellsThunder
I added you Fail. My in-game name is Nekronic.

Just to repost it for all, there's a chat room, [H]ard, you can set it to auto-join on login so you only need to make it once.

I'll add both of you guys, my handle is "ikabobi."

I've never joined a LoL chat room before, I'll give it a whirl.

Ok guys, I added you both, I played a little today, I really like Garen, from the tutorial, I haven't decided what pack to buy, i'm just playing the free heroes right now.

Also looks like i'm the only one in the [H]ard channel

Ok guys, I added you both, I played a little today, I really like Garen, from the tutorial, I haven't decided what pack to buy, i'm just playing the free heroes right now.

Also looks like i'm the only one in the [H]ard channel

Garen is my favorite character to play but once you actually play against real people his usefulness dwindles. He just doesn't do enough damage to or have enough survivability, he gets quickly outclassed by other characters. He's also pretty pricey when you're starting out (3100 IP IIRC).

Once you finish with the tutorials play a few co-op games against AI on beginner, that'll let you use this week's freebie characters. Try out Master Yi, Ryze, and Shen to start with, all three are great all around characters (and Yi is only 450 points if you decide to buy him).

Also, you mentioned buying a pack, if you do plan on spending some money why not just grab the retail version which comes with 20 champions unlocked, 4 top tier runes, and $10 worth of points to buy stuff? It's only $20.

the rest of us are all [H]ard at work :cool:

Yes, [H]ard at work looking at the forums :p

At least I'm on lunch break!

Oh, also, old news but if anyone's not done it yet you can get Tristana + a skin for her for free by becoming a fan of Riot Games on Facebook.

Link

Garen is my favorite character to play but once you actually play against real people his usefulness dwindles. He just doesn't do enough damage to or have enough survivability, he gets quickly outclassed by other characters. He's also pretty pricey when you're starting out (3100 IP IIRC).

Once you finish with the tutorials play a few co-op games against AI on beginner, that'll let you use this week's freebie characters. Try out Master Yi, Ryze, and Shen to start with, all three are great all around characters (and Yi is only 450 points if you decide to buy him).

Also, you mentioned buying a pack, if you do plan on spending some money why not just grab the retail version which comes with 20 champions unlocked, 4 top tier runes, and $10 worth of points to buy stuff? It's only $20.

Yes, [H]ard at work looking at the forums :p

At least I'm on lunch break!

thanks for the advice, I'm level 5 now, I bought Garen cause I really liked him enough to buy him.

Umm, retail copy, I don't have one yet, i just downloaded it and gave it a go.

Should i get it from Amazon or Best Buy or what?

Any other advice?

I really like playing co-op against the AI, I want to get good enough to feel comfortable playing against others again. I notice that other players pwn the AI much faster than I do, but I wonder if that's not because they are playing ranged.

Also trying to figure out the best item build to go with, like what to buy first, what to upgrade, etc.

I've always bought the movement boots first.

^
buy the retail copy wherever it's convenient.

check out www.mobafire.com
and www.leaguecraft.com

Many of the guides haven't been updated for the changes though, but you probably won't notice that being new. you can read ~5 guides on the same character and they're all different. It will give you an idea of how you can play each character though.
#1 tip: Do not use your IP for buying characters. Spend the $20 for a bundle or $50 for the big bundle.
--> because you will need all the IP you can get to buy those precious runes.
Here's a runeguide:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-l...at-secondary-and-primary-means-and-more-24255

thanks for the advice, I'm level 5 now, I bought Garen cause I really liked him enough to buy him.

Umm, retail copy, I don't have one yet, i just downloaded it and gave it a go.

Should i get it from Amazon or Best Buy or what?

Any other advice?

I really like playing co-op against the AI, I want to get good enough to feel comfortable playing against others again. I notice that other players pwn the AI much faster than I do, but I wonder if that's not because they are playing ranged.

Also trying to figure out the best item build to go with, like what to buy first, what to upgrade, etc.

I've always bought the movement boots first.

Once again, I'm a noobie so I can only give you limited advice based on what I've seen/read.

Garen, as I mentioned, is probably my favorite character to play. He's got a pretty strong early game but later on his damage just can't keep up with most of the other characters. There's a few items that can help him add some damage, especially with Judgement.

The first and foremost is the Sunfire Cape, it deals damage to enemies in your proximity over time (40/second I believe). If you can get close enough while judgementing that's an extra 120-200 damage (or more if they can't juke you). You can only benefit from one though, so don't go stacking them (when Garen first was released you could stack several of them and he was a monster, Riot changed that a while ago though). For Garen I start off with an item that is part of the recipe for said cape first (I believe the health crystal). Next, you want to slow them down, Randium's Odum (I believe that's the name) has an active that lets you slow down your enemies. More time Judgementing = a good thing. Finally, you need boots, probably the +3 speed boots.

This is the best Garen Guide I've seen of late, the build/strategy is detailed there.

You're of the same mindset as I am, learn on the bots, then take it to the actual people. The other people don't necessarily take down the AI faster than you because they're ranged, alot has to do with who their champion is and their build. Master Yi is another melee character and if you get him fed well enough he is one of the fastest killing champions in the game. Likewise some of the mages will absolutely dominate later on with the right gear, it all depends.

As I was told by a friend when I started (and have heard several times) don't limit yourself to one character because you won't know what other champions are capible of when you face them. I'm still trying to play all the characters that are available, usually only once, just so I know what their skills do. Since doing so I've discovered a ton of champions that I really like that I never would have tried, although most I'll not try again (at least not for a while).

As for the retail copy, if you do want it Target and BB both have it for $20 (BB was recently $30 but I guess they dropped their price). Amazon has it for the same price but they're constantly out of stock.

Thanks, I will stop by Best Buy sometime in the next few days and get the retail set. I have not spent any IP's and only bought $5 worth of RP's because I wanted to buy Garen as I mentioned before. I was looking at the $20 bundles so I could have a bunch of heroes to start out with.

there's like 68 heroes in this game, I want to get the majority of them as cheaply as possible.

How long does it take you guys to buy a hero using IP's?

I'll look at that runemaster guide when I get home from work tonight. I was at the leaguecraft site and tried to click on a guide, but it had pop ups that wouldn't close unless I clicked on the "Ok" button which will obviously redirect me to another site, so I shut that down. I'll take care of that later.

The price of heroes varies a lot and thus the amount of time it takes to unlock them varies. The 450 ip champs take 3-4 normal game wins to buy while those that take 6300 ip take much longer.

The retail copy is a good first move since you get a little bit of everything. I'd still buy Ashe as she's cheap and not included.

What about the packs they sell on their store, anything special about those? Obviously, a variety of heroes, but are any of those must haves?

Actually, the "Digital Collector's Pack" is the same thing I bought in the store. What's crazy though is that you've got to buy all the RP's and one thing you get from the pack is more RP...whaaaa? It's also more expensive ($30 in RP vs. $20 at the store).

The "Gamer's Choice Pack" is pretty solid but I'd still go with the store-bought Collector's pack first.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna go see if I can't get the game at Best Buy, I'm not sure if they have it in stock where I live, but I guess I can swing by, I AM leaning towards ordering it off Amazon, I don't absolutely have to have it by today, I think if I order today, I'll get it Monday or Tuesday of next week, so there's that.

sent you a PM!

Last edited:
I have a question, is there a character like the Bounty Hunter from DotA on HoN or LoL?

I used to play DotA YEARS ago, and I was quite good with the Bounty Hunter, if you've ever seen the name Lord_Deathmourn, chances are you just played me, I was fantastic at playing the Bounty Hunter, a character most people avoided playing because of how difficult it was to master, I'd like to think I popularized picking him after showing what he was capable of. Of course everyone liked Rikimaru and his cheese, but as the Bounty Hunter, I had no equals.

I bought the Digital Collectors edition copy, and the Champions Pack, and i'm rockin and rolling, i still have 1335 Riot points to use, and 1011 IP

Back