'League of Legends' Developer Gears Up for Next Big Game

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
League of Legends developer Riot Games might be considering a new MMO to challenge the big boy WOW. Variety is reporting that Riot Games co-founder Marc Merrill tweeted "Should we build an MMO?" last month and when they asked him about it he claimed it was a joke. However, this week Merrill said they are exploring different opportunities and if you read between the lines Riot Games may be looking at developing an MMO. Considering how much bank they have made with LoL it's not a stretch to believe they have the wherewithal to make a well-funded MMO development possible. I wouldn't count them out and I'd love to see something new in the MMO arena.

"I’m not going to answer that directly," he said. "The question that is really interesting and relevant is, ‘What does the future of MMOs look like?’ I think we have a view, others have a view, players have a view. ‘World of Warcraft’ continues to be a dominating game. There is a really good argument that going head-to-head with ‘WoW’ may not be the best move, but who knows. We’re exploring a lot of stuff, thinking about a lot of stuff."

Weren't some of the original WoW creators the people who started Riot games? I know Greg Street AKA Ghostcrawler also works for them for years now. He is loved by the community for his transparency. Also, WoW lately has been nothing more than a shameful cash grab, which is slowly chipping away all that made WoW great. If anyone can make an MMO that doesn't suck, these guys can.

Being a long term MMO player I look at the true MMORPG genre as the following. It's been overplayed and since no one has been able to even come close to repeating WoW's fluke of a success story not that many backers are willing to throw their hats full of money into that ring. At the same time I also look at it as ripe for the taking as the genre has damn near all but dried up in regards to new releases.

It's a fun glass half full / half empty scenario.

I beg them to bring it.

Weren't some of the original WoW creators the people who started Riot games? I know Greg Street AKA Ghostcrawler also works for them for years now. He is loved by the community for his transparency. Also, WoW lately has been nothing more than a shameful cash grab, which is slowly chipping away all that made WoW great. If anyone can make an MMO that doesn't suck, these guys can.

RIOT has definitely been a landing pad for a number of Blizz employees over the years.

I'd love to see something new in the MMO arena.

"New" being the keyword. IMO, what we don't need is another title with WoW-like game mechanics. That's been done to death, and the existing fanbase is more than saturated.

What we DO need is an MMO with more interesting combat and gameplay. More Planetside 2 or Dual Universe than WoW, ESO, SWTOR and so on.

Unfortunately, Riot is kinda setup for the former. LoL is already built around top-down hotbar mashing (even if it's a bit better than most MMOs), so my hopes aren't particularly high.

"New" being the keyword. IMO, what we don't need is another title with WoW-like game mechanics. That's been done to death, and the existing fanbase is more than saturated.

What we DO need is an MMO with more interesting combat and gameplay. More Planetside 2 or Dual Universe than WoW, ESO, SWTOR and so on.

Unfortunately, Riot is kinda setup for the former. LoL is already built around top-down hotbar mashing (even if it's a bit better than most MMOs), so my hopes aren't particularly high.

I'm actually more of a fan of the mind set that what's old is new again. Being an old school EverCrack junkie I have my eyes set on Pantheon Rise of the Fallen. With that said, I already know that it will be a niche market MMO since it seems to have the old school "fun" EQ things such as naked corpse runs "has anybody here seen my corpse".

None the less I would like to see Riot attempt something new.

Riot certainly have enough unique champions to do some amazing mass scale player conflict with all unique characters w/their own play traits which amazing to think about the complexity that brings to the table staggering really how dynamic it would be. I've said it for years to Riot that they should consider doing a MMO if they ever transition away to a new project outside of LoL. Anything is possible it sounds like it was more of a off the cuff joke. It would be mind blowing crazy though if they pursued the idea of it.

It's not stagnant though it's very complex and diverse and every new champion introduced continues to pile into it further. There hasn't been a MMO that's offered the type of unique individualism and variety a LoL MOBA champion inspired one could offer. They could combine it w/different elements of other successful MMO's and have something killer that's ultra unique and complex yet carries a lot of the better aspects to MMO's as well that have been thought up previously.

Last edited:
Back