LCDs and Dot Pitch

provoko

Gawd
I'm having an argument with a friend. I'm telling him that he shouldn't get a 20" LCD at 1680x1050, instead he should get a 22" same res because the dot pitch is bigger and things won't be as small as a 20" dot pitch. He's saying the smaller the dot pitch the better for everything, I say he'll need glasses to read text. Who's right? What's a good dot pitch? What does the dot pitch actually mean, size of pixel?

Thanks.

I'm having an argument with a friend. I'm telling him that he shouldn't get a 20" LCD at 1680x1050, instead he should get a 22" same res because the dot pitch is bigger and things won't be as small as a 20" dot pitch. He's saying the smaller the dot pitch the better for everything, I say he'll need glasses to read text. Who's right? What's a good dot pitch? What does the dot pitch actually mean, size of pixel?

Thanks.

Ideally, the more tightly packed pixels would be better. However, for historical reasons it's still kind of a 96 DPI world with Windows. So for many, the higher dot pitch will be more practical...

(Vista was supposed to have more flexible scaling, making DPI less of an issue. I'm still on XP and have heard mixed comments from others regarding Vista. So I don't know...)

22 inch screens are better for me as I can sit back furthur from the screen to a better posture, and from a distance the fuzziness of the bigger pixels are not visible. In fact the fuzziness makes everything more smooth and easier on my eyes personally - just like cleartype tuning. A 20 inch screen is sharper, but I find myself sitting closer and closer to the screen after a while as the text is way too small for long periods of reading. But 22 inch screens are all TN panels but you cna get good quality stuff for 20 inchers.

If you want somthing in between (bigger pixels plus non TN panel), get the 21 inch screens. Samsung produce a hell of a screen in the 215TW, which is also 1680 x 1050 with a top notch PVA panel.

If someone uses display mostly for text and stuff and they like bigger fonts, icons etc then the larger pitch might be what they want. There ares some people who buy larger pitch displays just for that reason. For photos I don't care for it though. It makes images look weaker - reminds me of the cheap ice cream they whip air into.

if you have Vista the font scaling is great. I have a 20 inch and use 104DPI which makes the text very readable and it's still far clearer than on a 22 inch ws.

if you have Vista the font scaling is great. I have a 20 inch and use 104DPI which makes the text very readable and it's still far clearer than on a 22 inch ws.

Thanks for everyone's input. My friend did get Vista. Maybe 20" with lower dot pitch isn't so bad.

Back