LCD viewing angles of different panels and sizes

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
Hi all! Long time lurker in this great forum and I wondered if you could help me out with something. :)

I have for long been unhappy with the industry standard of measuring viewing angles on LCD's (worthless standard IMHO).

On my surf on the internet, I encountered this thread.

In that thread, I found a picture of Samsung LTM201U1 20" S-PVA panel (Dell 2007fp v2) taken from a 5 degree angle (from center). Loss of detail and change of image even at only 5 degree made me realize that there is a need to map the real world viewing angles out for us consumers. Some screens already have a change of image due to viewing angles even when looking straight on the panel. So, I thought I'd continue what Peter G in that thread started.

59768645.PVA_Shadow.jpg

What I need help for, is to get pictures of LCD's of all sizes and panel types (mva, p-mva, pva, s-pva, s-ips, enchanced s-ips/as-ips and tn). All taken from a 5 degree angle with this image displayed. :)

I would want to use the images you provide on another forum (WSGF), so please write if you don't want that and I'll not use those images.

Dell 2007FP 20.1" S-PVA:
http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/59768645.PVA_Shadow.jpg

Westinghouse 22" TN contributed by Animasaki:
http://img127.imageshack.us/my.php?image=8vf9.jpg

Dell 3007WFP contributed by Jupix@WSGF:

@ 0 degrees
3007WFP@0

@ 5 degrees
3007WFP@5

Philips 200W6CS contributed by X-Warrior@WSGF:

@5 degrees
200W6CS@5

Here is an illustration from Behardware when viewing straight on a TN panel:

IMG0012075.gif

As you can see, the top of the image darkens, due to that part already being seen from an angle when center is zero degrees.

This goes also for *VA panels, where there is reported loss of details on center view.

What is also problematic is that viewing angles will increase the larger the display is. First post showed a 20" at 5 degrees. Changes in picture quality should be greater on a 24" display.

Not really sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish here but if you have ever taken a look at a veiwing angle spec it will say something like 160/160 >5. This means that an angle of 160 degrees the monitor will hold a contrast of 5:1!! No one is really being very misleading here, you just have to read the spec closer.

The fact of the matter is the standard for measuring a viewing angle is much better than for response time or contrast.

travbomb said:
Not really sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish here but if you have ever taken a look at a veiwing angle spec it will say something like 160/160 >5. This means that an angle of 160 degrees the monitor will hold a contrast of 5:1!! No one is really being very misleading here, you just have to read the spec closer.

The fact of the matter is the standard for measuring a viewing angle is much better than for response time or contrast.

I'll try to clearify what I am trying to accomplish here for you then. :)
CR<5 and CR<10 are industry standards for viewing angles. This usually occur at extreme angles.
Watching center straight on is 0 degree angle. When watching center straight on, the sides are already seen at an angle (as illustrated above). Picture of the 20" S-PVA is taken at 5 degrees off center, not 5 degrees off edge.

Since most uses of a screen is not from extreme angles, and image degrades in quality even from "straight on" view on several LCD's, industry standards are pretty useless from consumer perspective IMHO. Contrast less then 5 or 10 at extreme angle gives little meaning for general usage. Image degration at +/- 45 degrees and also image degration from 0 degrees center to X degrees at the sides would be more useful for consumers.

Primarily, specs should reflect general usage, not extreme conditions, and what I am trying to accomplish is to get illustrations of different screens at general usage conditions (0 to 5 degrees angle off center). I hope that clearified it for you! :)

Getting exact degrees might be hard without proper equiptment, so approximately 5 degrees (center is 0 degrees)will do nicely! :D

From WSGF:
Dell 3007WFP contributed by Jupix@WSGF:

@ 0 degrees

@ 5 degrees

Philips 200W6CS contributed by X-Warrior@WSGF:

@5 degrees

Simple.

If you have the cash Get IPS based panel. It has by far the best viewing angles both Horizontal and vertical.

If you want to save money and are using the monitor in landscape mode, use a TN panel, they have the next best horizontal performance. Poor vertical won't be so critical.

If you want to save money and use potrait mode, go for VA. It is mediocre in both directions, but it is better vertically than TN and in portrait TN is hurting.

And I am only talking about normal on center viewing, trying to just use it like a regular screen.

Read here to find out the farce that is manufacturer numbers for viewing angles:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/561-7/technique-lcd-overdrive-contraste-angles.html

I have a TN (Dell 1707) I use as a side for my main CRT. And I tried two Dell PVAs (2405, 2007fp) that sucked hard. I would only consider an IPS for my main screen to replace my CRT. Neither PVA cut it.

Back