LCD TV Prices To Drop In 2007

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are planning on buying a new LCD TV, you might want to hold off for a bit. According to DigiTimes, LCD TV makers say prices are expected to plunge by the end of 2007.

Prices for 42-inch LCD TVs are likely to drop to US$999 by the end of 2007 in North America, according to LCD TV makers amid heated competition in the TV market. Prices in the 37- and 32-inch LCD TV segments are also expected to fall to new lows, reaching US$799 and US$399, respectively, by the end of next year, the makers predicted.

Probably, but they won't be $999 for a 42 inch1080p. And I'm not buying an HDTV unless it's 1080p.

Consider that I've seen the 42" 1080P Westinghouse go for $1400, I'm not supprised.

Dew said:
Consider that I've seen the 42" 1080P Westinghouse go for $1400, I'm not supprised.
Really? So how can they sell theirs for so much cheaper than other 42 inch 1080p? I assuming all the companies are using the same panels in the same sizes. come to think of it, who DOES make the large LCD panels?

people praise that westinghouse tvs are amazing too.. i also wonder how they can be soo much cheaper? Using cheap components maybe?

Isn't this true for any future year?

Technology products do drop in prices as time progresses... so it would be safe to say that LCD tv's will be dropping in prices for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010..etc.

Just something I thought worth mentioning. :)

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
It's great news, but I dont think I can hold off a whole year ;)

that's exactly what I thought, I've actually been 'holding off' for years as it is! I almost bought a LCD RP and am SO happy that I didn't but I'm tired of watching a 27" CRT, time to jump in and let it depreciate at lightspeed just like all other technology products :)

That's good news and all, but what I really want is for the 30 inch HP LCD monitor to drop in price. I don't know if I could wait x amount of time for that either. ;)

For TVs, I replaced my aging 27 inch Sony Trinitron CRT 4 months ago with a 42 inch RPLCD. So much better and doesn't hurt my eyes with blurriness and edge bleeding.

Ermmm....

correct me if I'm wrong, but we've seen 37" Westys in that range before. Not as a constant thing, but a couple of times in the last few months...

I have been trying to save forever for this too to no avail. With lower prices, I'm in! Altho, I could say this every year like everyone else is saying. It will go down...

I don't really see this as a huge development from that standpoint. I mean I understand people feel that 1080p is gonna produce the best picture and technically it will but at 42" you seriously will have a tough time telling the difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p if you are sitting at a normal distance.

I know I am just saying what has already been said, but I just think that since you can get 42" LCD or Plasma TV today for well below $1k (when you find a deal) I can't see myself paying $200-$400 more for almost no difference below 50". Cause we know that when 1080p 42" tvs get below $1k then the 720p/1080i TVs are gonna be so low that you really can't pass it up.
I think the more important # would be the price of those TVs which probably would be around the $700-$800 mark at that point. A price which I feel has much more value.

I just bought a Panny Plasma 42" 720p/1080i TV for $900 after tax and shipping. Why wait till the end of 2007?? I don't know...maybe thats just me.

Cheers

thats it? i would of expected more
i scored a 42" LCD for $800 on black friday ;) and that was 999 before rebates

You guys are talking about deals though. They come, they go.

What they're talking about is common-fare in the coming year. Meaning you'll be able to find a high-end LCD for cheap-and it will be common. You won't have to go deal-hunting.

lesman said:
You guys are talking about deals though. They come, they go.

What they're talking about is common-fare in the coming year. Meaning you'll be able to find a high-end LCD for cheap-and it will be common. You won't have to go deal-hunting.
Ya that is true, but these deals are extremely common now. I can find a few places selling 42" flat screens for less than $1000 on a daily basis.

But I get that they are deals and stuff. Heck my cousin asked if they should get a 20" LCD HDTV for $400 today im like....OMG NO! Ill find you a 32" for $250..haha

cheers

The new Westy's are $999 for a 42" at BB. If you are a Reward Zone member like I am, you can hack another $50 off of that because (you get it back).

A recent business trip that I made to China gave me a shocker as well. I traveled to research refrigeration. But was curious about LCDs. I was offered 42" LCDs for approximately $650 at an exhibition (Canton Trade Fair) in quantities of 10pcs or more. These are the same LCDs that NEC, SONY and others are using. This includes plastic bezels and they are branded as some quirky Chinese brand. I was surprised that I only need to order 100pcs to do custom bezel designs and whatnot. I don't know if the panels were 1080P, but I do know that Westinghouse would still turn a profit since the pricing they receive would be better than $650 per unit.

CopyCat said:
I mean I understand people feel that 1080p is gonna produce the best picture and technically it will but at 42" you seriously will have a tough time telling the difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p if you are sitting at a normal distance.

Many people are using these "tvs" as monitors as well, where the extra resolution is needed.

CopyCat said:
Ya that is true, but these deals are extremely common now. I can find a few places selling 42" flat screens for less than $1000 on a daily basis.

But I get that they are deals and stuff. Heck my cousin asked if they should get a 20" LCD HDTV for $400 today im like....OMG NO! Ill find you a 32" for $250..haha

cheers
Lol, point taken.

Cheers back. :)

I'll snag a new TV when I can get a 32" that does 720P and 1080i for $350ish...

Back