LCD TV for computer monitor too?

sprak74

Gawd
I was thinking of getting Sony 32EX500 to use as a computer monitor. Is this a bad idea? It's the smallest I've found that Sony offer with 1920x1080 and I'll be sitting about 2 1/2 feets away. Any comments or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I have a 32" 1080P panasonic L32S1 that i'm viewing from 2 1/2' to 3ft away. I'll admit it took getting used to, but now i love it. There is lots of room for personal preference however so you may not feel the same as i do.

Otherwise if you're going to do a lot of PC gaming then the Sony 32EX400 was tested to have less input lag than the EX500, about 1 frame less to be more exact.

Source: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

If you're looking for a discount then be sure to check Google and Bing shopping, then couple it with one of these cashback programs.

It helps to purchase from a retailer with a great return policy, and picking it up in-store is ideal imho.

Last edited:
I personally don't like using tv screens as pc monitors because I can see the pixels, I have a 30" dell and I love it. If seeing the pixels doesn't bother you then go for it.

I personally don't like using tv screens as pc monitors because I can see the pixels, I have a 30" dell and I love it. If seeing the pixels doesn't bother you then go for it.

I agree. If you want to use a TV as a computer monitor, be prepared to put it further away from you than a normal computer display.

Is there such a thing as a TV in the 22 to 26 inch range that has actual 1080p instead of 720p? Might make an excellent monitor since most TVs are glossy screened and not TN!

Is there such a thing as a TV in the 22 to 26 inch range that has actual 1080p instead of 720p? Might make an excellent monitor since most TVs are glossy screened and not TN!
Televisions smaller than 32" are almost always TN, how's that for a catch 22? ;)

32" is the smallest size where you're assured that it WON"T be a TN panel.

There was actually a 26" Vizio, the V260-something, that was 1080p and IPS. Text on it sucked, but graphics were nice. I had it for a week.

It's been discontinued.

I haven't seen anything to take it's place.

I used a Sharp 32" LCD TV as a monitor for a few weeks. It gave me migraines. I'm sure I was sitting too close, but I didn't have a choice since my desk at the time wasn't very deep.

Now I've got a Samsung T260HD, and I love it. Paid $414 for it and thought I got a great deal. A week later it dropped to around $300 everywhere. Bah, electronics.

Back