LCD TV as PC monitor - good idea?

phinix

Gawd
I was looking for a nice led monitor - 27", ideally IPS, definitely not TN.
Now I came up with idea of getting tv - which one would be a good for all-around use?
Internet, little bit of graphics stuff like photo postprocessing and games?

I like this 32" Samsung UE32C6530.... It costs around £640.
For a 27" Dell I would have to pay £800.

What do you guys think?

Edge lit white LED is irrelevant and even detrimental to image quality. Get a computer monitor, not a TV. The 27" Dell is 2560x1440 versus the TV which is a measly 1920x1080. The 27" Dell will have around 85% more resolution and will look hugely better as a computer display.

i use a 37" 1080p LG tv(60hz) as a monitor and it works great(got it for $530 in 11/09).
don't let others discourage you from getting a "tv" as a monitor. just do some research over at AVSforum.com and figure out what the best bet is for you. i can't imagine using a monitor smaller than what i have now, it is unbelievably awesome for gaming as it makes it almost completely immersive. its still decent for normal desktop usage too. i came from a Sony FW900 to the 37" lcd tv and havent regretted my purchase once.

this is the tv i currently have:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-37LH30-37-Inch-1080p-Gloss/dp/B001V5J7O8

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Edge lit white LED is irrelevant and even detrimental to image quality. Get a computer monitor, not a TV. The 27" Dell is 2560x1440 versus the TV which is a measly 1920x1080. The 27" Dell will have around 85% more resolution and will look hugely better as a computer display.

Yes, but 27" Dell is 16:9, so thats almost same height as my current Dell 24" 16:10.
I guess I wouldn't notice that much difference. In this case I would have to go for 30", but that is like twice the price of Samsung 32" LED TV.

Are those TV really that bad? I thought that if they new, they would be better than previous generation TVs...

I wouldn't recommend using LCD TV as PC monitor. It just doesn't have enough resolution and the colors are usually too bright. The dell 2711 is an excellent monitor. It has tons of inputs, perfect for using as both TV and monitor.

When thinking about using a tv as a monitor you need to think about what kind of quality you're expecting.

The fact that you were looking at ips panels tells me you would be unhappy with a tv. If you had said you were looking at cheap 27" tn panels then I would say go for the tv.

I think tv's work great as monitors as long as you're not expecting the quality that comes from a quality ips panel like the u2711.

I personally vastly prefer a quality monitor over a larger tv. Just my preference. I would just try to find a tv you can hook a computer up to and play around with it. If it works for you then go to town.

The closer you are to the screen, the higher pixel desnity you want, presumably. If you have a giant screen and you sit two feet away from it at a low resolution it's going to look bad. If you get a monitor of comparable size it'll run at a higher resolution and look better.

Also, the majority of new monitors come with DVI connectivity, and I don't know if that's the case with HDTVs so you might need an HDMI cable and some kind of adapter if your GPU lacks an HDMI port.

Take it from a dude that tried ALL the Best recommended TVs from AVSfroums as a Monitor as well.

DO NOT , REPEAT DO NOT purchase a TV for use as a monitor. You will ultimately be disappointed down the road.

Go for the Dell 27" it can be had for $890 after tax right now. Better hurry tho

Take it from a dude that tried ALL the Best recommended TVs from AVSfroums as a Monitor as well.

DO NOT , REPEAT DO NOT purchase a TV for use as a monitor. You will ultimately be disappointed down the road.

Go for the Dell 27" it can be had for $890 after tax right now. Better hurry tho

That is enough for me, thanks:) Was it really that bad?:)

I live in UK, where prices are higher than a trees;)
27" is around £800, 30" around £1200....

I was considering Apple new LED 27", but not sure if that works ok on pc...
Perfectly I would like to buy nice slim 27" led IPS or MVA screen... All I left is dream on;)

Tried 4 LCD televisions in 2008 and settled on one I liked ok. It was a 40 inch. I figured with size probably being LCD's biggest attraction to me, I'd just go for it. And also the TV's, at least back then, could go darker than the computer monitors (which makes no sense to me at all, functionally...) and had higher true contrast ratios...

Ultimately ended up going back to a GDM-F520 CRT at the end of 2009 when one became available from a family member. Tiny in comparison to the TV, but punches way above its weight (well its size anyway) in raw PQ. And I needed a 3D capable display for a camera I had bought...

Like the idea of using a TV as a computer display if you don't have requirements that dictate otherwise, but in practice it's a bit tough to find one that is truly fully computer compatible...(Samsung's had a pc mode, which made this easy, but they might have removed some of that functionality later, it looked like...not sure of the current situation and other brands...)

i have a 32" panasonic l32s1 and it's an excellent choice for a monitor, great for gaming for sure

That is enough for me, thanks:) Was it really that bad?:)

I live in UK, where prices are higher than a trees;)
27" is around £800, 30" around £1200....

I was considering Apple new LED 27", but not sure if that works ok on pc...
Perfectly I would like to buy nice slim 27" led IPS or MVA screen... All I left is dream on;)

I'll just stress again that buying a HDTV as a monitor is a TERRIBLE idea. Definitely get a quality IPS monitor for PC use. And keep in mind that a 32" HDTV has only 68 pixels per inch (ppi), where high resolution IPS monitors have 100-108ppi. The difference when reading text is astronomical. As an owner of the DELL U3011 and Apple LED Cinema Display 27", both work great as PC monitors and can also be used with PS3s and XBOX360s. Each also has pros and cons:

The DELL U3011 (and the 27" U2711) supports 1920x1080 natively and has inputs to connect game consoles to it out of the box. The Apple LED Cinema 27" requires external converters to use with anything that isn't mini-DisplayPort. It also scales 1080p video from external devices (360, PS3, Blu-Ray Disc, etc.) to 2560x1440 which might result in minor video degradation. The U3011 has a VERY aggressive anti-glare coating which gives the screen a "sparkle" effect (whites in particular). The Apple LED Cinema 27" is glass and has glare under certain lighting conditions. I know for some people, either the "sparkle" effect or glare can be total deal breakers, where to others neither is an issue. Either way, I think both displays are much better than any 1080p HDTV.

Last edited:
I think this whole thing is a matter of perception. I've had a 42" 1080P Westinghouse for years now and I love it! Two of my good friends saw it, tested it out, and bought the exact same setup because they liked it so much. I tried going back to smaller monitors (23", don't know if 27-30" would've been a different experience), but it was such a pain for me. Everything felt 10x smaller. I didn't feel immersed in my games anymore. I couldn't lean back in my chair or recliner and just relax anymore while I surf the web or play games. I had to sit up and shove me face in the screen just to see everything. My advice is to take your pc to the store, hook it up to both tvs and monitors to see what you like better. And Best Buy should let you do that, I did it years ago. Even though it seems crazy, it's helps you make your choice much easier.

About a year ago I replaced a 24" benq monitor with a 32" 1080p LG TV and I'm quite happy.

Its great for gaming and movies, internet, email and some light work.

Since the OP mentioned photo editing, to me a TV would be out of the question. Espeically when comparing it to an IPS monitor.

I suppose a TV would be good for gaming, but they're worthless for any kind of serious graphics work that would require accurate color reproduction.

Since the OP mentioned photo editing, to me a TV would be out of the question. Espeically when comparing it to an IPS monitor.

I suppose a TV would be good for gaming, but they're worthless for any kind of serious graphics work that would require accurate color reproduction.

I don't disagree with your conclusion...

(However, Samsung DLP TVs could be calibrated spot on. And I believe folks over at AVS forum have had some luck calibrating LCD TV's....)

Not to hi-jack the thread but I'm wondering what you guys think of buying an LCD TV around 37"-42" and using it JUST for gaming and then having a separate monitor for all other work? You'd get great immersion in game and have a different monitor for all other purposes.

I have to say that this is mostly true. I would still recommend a 32 inch decent quality set over a TN panel of nearly any kind but for the most part a regular PC monitor is the best fit.

I played on my Samsung A650 40 Inch for a while (set back a decent range so I didn't have any serious eye strain) but input latency is what killed it for me.

I agree... Never use a TV as a monitor... I don't understand how some people can do that. People don't understand that Full HD TV's still are 1920x1080... that's the same amount of pixels available on a 22" display... You're not getting extra pixels on a 52 inch... so yes, it's going to get ugly and pixelated... don't do it.

Yes, but 27" Dell is 16:9, so thats almost same height as my current Dell 24" 16:10.
I guess I wouldn't notice that much difference.

First, unless it's fully RGB backlit (not edge), stay away. CCFL is going to be better.

Second, text is going to be poor if not awful on most TVs. Especially reds. And input lag on most TVs are going to be beyond what is considered acceptable.

Third, even though it's $1000 (you can find them from $750-800 on eBay or refurbished) the U2711 is going to be far and away better sutied to PC duties than any HDTV. If you want size, look into a professional large format display. While not as responsive as high-end monitors, these are made to be used with PCs.

Love my 37" Westy! I suppose technically it IS a monitor since it does not have a tuner. Still surprised the thread is so overwhelming opposed.Works for me. Cheaper than eyefinity. Yeah I know only 1080p.

Back