LCD Televisions with 4:4:4 Subsampling and low Input Lag.

I guess I can chime in and note that I did pick up the LG 32LN5300. My reasons for purchase was actually unrelated to computer usage, but I won't need it for that until September. It seems to be an okay display for PC use, and seemed to do fine in gaming. I calibrated it with this combo, and it seems to match up quite well with the color checker. I can post my settings and display profile later if people are interested.

Yes please post your settings. for both PC and HDTV.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do the Samsung UNXXEH5000 TV's have VA panels as well?

Sorry for the late reply. As far as I know, the Samsung UNxxEH5000 line from 2012 all had VA panels and a VA panel lottery (Samsung, CMO, and Sharp).

That Samsung may have potential. Also glad to hear there may be some progress with the EQD line. I'll still be holding out for a VA or IPS with CRT/lightboost"esqe" motion clarity though. However, I don't see that happening anytime soon . . .

Here are the settings I used. I also hosted up the icc profile if people would like to try it. The display profile only really adds a bit of vibrance. The panel is quite accurate on its own.

Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert1
Backlight: 43
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: center
Expert Control
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off
Color Filter: Off
Gamma: 2.2
Color Temperature: Warm2
Method: 2 Points
Patter: Outer
Red: -2
Green: 0
Blue: -12
Picture Option
Black Level: Auto

And here are the results.
FLHcCsQ.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rtlodkiq5zrwlk/32LN5300.icm

Can anyone help? I recently purchased a Samsung UN32F5500AF monitor and I'm having trouble getting the text to stop being blurry. I'm using a DVI > HDMI cable and have the connector set as DVI PC. I'm currently using Windows 7 64 bit and a GTX 670.

http://i.imgur.com/QInW6Vl.jpg

This is my current registry setting. When I look under the monitor settings under nVidia, the monitor now shows DVI-PC instead of the old HDMI connection type. The only problem is that the TV still doesn't display text properly, it's still very blurry. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Does it really only have a contrast ratio of 532:1? That's really low.

Can anyone help? I recently purchased a Samsung UN32F5500AF monitor and I'm having trouble getting the text to stop being blurry. I'm using a DVI > HDMI cable and have the connector set as DVI PC. I'm currently using Windows 7 64 bit and a GTX 670.

I couldn't tell from the screen capture if you have done the EDID override or not which is required for Nvidia cards. If you haven't, there are detailed instructions in this thread. Just do a search for it and my user name.

Last edited:
So is there an HDTV (with a 32" size) with a better picture than the XXLN5300 and the UNXXEH5000? These both use VA Panels, which are kind of the middle ground in between a TN and an IPS. I'm going to give the LG a try sooner or later, but are there any IPS TV's out there that do look noticeably better (colors) with the same input lag/ghosting?

Thanks!

I couldn't tell from the screen capture if you have done the EDID override or not which is required for Nvidia cards. If you haven't, there are detailed instructions in this thread. Just do a search for it and my user name.

Are you referring to Post 438? I followed those instructions for the video card EDID override. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind telling me what information you need to verify that I did the override correctly? I'm hoping these screenshots will be enough for you to verify, if not, please tell me what else I need to provide. Again, thank you for taking time to help me.

http://imgur.com/a/CUW8C

What's even more annoying is the fact that this TV appears to pass the 4:4:4 tests. There's no blurring between the lines for all 3 tests that was posted.

Last edited:
Does it really only have a contrast ratio of 532:1? That's really low.
That does seem to be the case. Calibrated contrast ratio is always quite a bit lower since you are prioritizing colors / accuracy over black points.

Are you referring to Post 438? I followed those instructions for the video card EDID override. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind telling me what information you need to verify that I did the override correctly? I'm hoping these screenshots will be enough for you to verify, if not, please tell me what else I need to provide. Again, thank you for taking time to help me.

http://imgur.com/a/CUW8C

What's even more annoying is the fact that this TV appears to pass the 4:4:4 tests. There's no blurring between the lines for all 3 tests that was posted.

Yes, that was the post I was referring to. If you are passing the 4:4:4 tests, then the EDID override was done correctly. The only way for any of us to verify that is to see pictures of the test images taken with a camera set to macro. I have a post about the tests and how to view then in this thread. Sorry for not linking buy, I am using my phone so it's a bit of a PITA to navigate quickly.

If you are passing the 4:4:4 tests but the text is blurry, it's likely going to be an issue with either ClearType or, a DPI setting or, something with the browser being zoomed in or out, etc. It could also be the pixel density of the TV since they are spread fairly far apart at 1920x1080 @ 32".

Yes, that was the post I was referring to. If you are passing the 4:4:4 tests, then the EDID override was done correctly. The only way for any of us to verify that is to see pictures of the test images taken with a camera set to macro. I have a post about the tests and how to view then in this thread. Sorry for not linking buy, I am using my phone so it's a bit of a PITA to navigate quickly.

If you are passing the 4:4:4 tests but the text is blurry, it's likely going to be an issue with either ClearType or, a DPI setting or, something with the browser being zoomed in or out, etc. It could also be the pixel density of the TV since they are spread fairly far apart at 1920x1080 @ 32".

Turns out it was a ClearType issue like you described. Thank you so much for helping me trouble shoot this issue.

If anyone is interested, the LG 39LN5300 is on sale for 299.99 at Frys! Just picked one up and returned my 32". Great TV to use as a monitor!

If anyone is interested, the LG 39LN5300 is on sale for 299.99 at Frys! Just picked one up and returned my 32". Great TV to use as a monitor!

That price is available online for in-store pickup only. I was hesitating to get it based upon the discussion around it being an IPS or a VA but at that price, I will take the chance regardless.

That price is available online for in-store pickup only. I was hesitating to get it based upon the discussion around it being an IPS or a VA but at that price, I will take the chance regardless.

There's not a single doubt in my mind now that any of these could be IPS. They're definitely all VA panels. Since I haven't gotten the TV yet, I still don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing though. Still, this is probably one of the best TV's in the market that offers a compromise between amazing picture quality and lower input lag/ghosting.

When I get it, I will compare the colors/gamma/contrast to my 1440p PLS monitor as much as I can (colors only, sharpness/clairty will be skewed because one is a higher resolution, and scaling it down will also not provide the best results).

So if there's any tests in particular you'd like to see, please let me know what and how. I only know some things, and I don't own a calibration tool or anything, but I want to provide as much info as I can because I haven't seen a comparison between this VA panel and a 1440p PLS monitor yet. :)

I've gone through 3 39LN5300 HDTV's from 3 different stores and I noticed that they all have what appears to be back light bleeding/clouding in the middle or near the middle of the panel. I'm really not sure what to call it but it looks like an oval blob that can be seen when viewing an all black screen in a dark room. Can anyone else with a 39LN5300 confirm? Is it normal? A backlight setting of 15 and lower makes it harder to see what I'm talking about. Raise the setting and you should be able to see the same thing. BTW, my phone's camera picked it up better than my eyes but it does look pretty bad regardless.

39ln5300_bl.jpg

Last edited:
There's not a single doubt in my mind now that any of these could be IPS. They're definitely all VA panels. Since I haven't gotten the TV yet, I still don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing though. Still, this is probably one of the best TV's in the market that offers a compromise between amazing picture quality and lower input lag/ghosting

Two things after unboxing and doing some preliminary settings: A) It certainly fails the IPS finger test; B) It is a fantastic-looking monitor. I have only played a few minutes of Guild Wars 2 and Marvel Heroes but overall it just seems richer and sharper than my LK450.

Mine is a "J".

One thing the side-by-side does highlight is how much more the 39LN5300 looks like a computer monitor. The bezel is less than half the size of the LK450; sitting on the desk its two inches shorter. I can easily see SixFootDuo's 3x setup being amazing and glad he didn't post pictures while the set was on sale. :)

My set doesn't have the blotchy middle seen by PCDC650. Seems odd three different sets from 3 different stores would all show it.

Last edited:
Two things after unboxing and doing some preliminary settings: A) It certainly fails the IPS finger test; B) It is a fantastic-looking monitor. I have only played a few minutes of Guild Wars 2 and Marvel Heroes but overall it just seems richer and sharper than my LK450.

Mine is a "J".

One thing the side-by-side does highlight is how much more the 39LN5300 looks like a computer monitor. The bezel is less than half the size of the LK450; sitting on the desk its two inches shorter. I can easily see SixFootDuo's 3x setup being amazing and glad he didn't post pictures while the set was on sale. :)

My set doesn't have the blotchy middle seen by PCDC650. Seems odd three different sets from 3 different stores would all show it.
Not sure what to say then. I tried different outlets around the house and disconnected and reconnected my devices as well. Any chance you can take a picture of your 39LN5300 in a dark room and at the same angel as the one I took with your backlight set to 50?

20130513_014145_resized.jpg

Whatever glow is in the picture is an artifact of my phone's camera. It is solid, deep, satin black at Backlight and Brightness 50. In fact, I have never had a screen so uniform.

I know you have surely done everything but have you tried new cables? Otherwise I am at a loss. It can't just be bad luck, though, three fairly random sets from three random stores? Either a whole batch is bad, in which case with the Fry's sale there will be plenty of people who see the same thing, or something on your end, although I honestly even know what would reliably cause that from a device/cabling perspective. I would contact LG as a last resort if no other answer was in the offing. Sorry you have run into this; I am just blown away but how sharp and rich the monitor is.

Edit: this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1653278 has Asus VG278H owners with something vaguely analogous if not exactly the same. Who knows if it could be/is similar with this set, though.

I have to thank the people who recommended the new LG 39LN5300. I've gone through at least a dozen TV's over the last few years trying to replace my blotchy Westy 37", and every one was taken right back to the store the next day, so I'm pretty anal about my monitor and picture/text quality. I picked up one of these at Best Buy and I'm honestly blown away by how good this set looks. Perfect colors, deep blacks, no ghosting or banding, zero backlight bleed, it has the best picture quality I've ever seen. Even colored text, which tended to be my biggest pet peeve with all the other TV's I've tried, after tweaking is just as sharp as the Westy. I'm amazed something so cheap (thanks Fry's!) can look so good. Its almost like going from SD to HD all over again, I played a few minutes of Metro 2033 and it was like a whole new experience. Other than picture quality It is extremely basic though, it only has 2 HDMI and 1 Component input, and the stand doesn't swivel or tilt if that matters.

If anyone is curious its a "J" model made in Mexico Feb 2013. No idea if its an IPS panel, frankly it looks so good I couldn't care less. :D

I've gone through 3 39LN5300 HDTV's from 3 different stores and I noticed that they all have what appears to be back light bleeding/clouding in the middle or near the middle of the panel.
Since it's blatantly obvious, i would exchange it at least one more time, don't settle. That "clouding" is subtly messing up your picture quality in that huge and important section of the screen.

Hope it works out for you either way.

When I read PCDC650's description, my initial thought was it was going to be the "viewing cone" that VA panels have. However, after looking at the picture and seeing the middle is "brighter" than the rest of the screen I would say it's a defect as the "viewing cone" would make the middle darker as anything outside of it would have a higher gamma. There was some other panel that had the same issue but if IRRC, it was an IPS ViewSonic monitor that had a chance to develop a "purple blob" in the middle of the panel. Three different sets having the issue is a bit much but, it's not unheard of. I've bought multiple defective sets (the Dynex DX-32L230A12) in the past so, it's possible there was a bad run, some stuff skipped past Q&A checks, etc. I wouldn't consider that normal in any panel type though.

Last edited:
When I read PCDC650's description, my initial thought was it was going to be the "viewing cone" that VA panels have. However, after looking at the picture and seeing the middle is "brighter" than the rest of the screen I would say it's a defect as the "viewing cone" would make the middle darker as anything outside of it would have a higher gamma. There was some other panel that had the same issue but if IRRC, it was an IPS ViewSonic monitor that had a chance to develop a "purple blob" in the middle of the panel. Three different sets having the issue is a bit much but, it's not unheard of. I've bought multiple defective sets in the past so, it's possible there was a bad run, some stuff skipped past Q&A checks, etc. I wouldn't consider that normal in any panel type though.
I ended up returning the 39ln5300. It's a great HDTV/Monitor and for $299 I thought it was a steal.
Unfortunately, it gets old and tiring returning the same HDTV and having to explain myself repeatedly. I guess I had some bad luck with this unit so I'm going to purchase either a Korean PLS or a 42LA6200.

Unfortunately, it gets old and tiring returning the same HDTV and having to explain myself repeatedly.

Yea, I know that feeling especially when the in-store lighting masks what you are trying to show:

"Well I don't see the issue but, we'll take it back."

"Well, if you didn't have the power of a thousand suns shining down upon us you would be able to . . ."

It's always much worse if it's a performance issue though as there is no real way to demonstrate it and they often wouldn't know it even if they could see it.

Is the LG 39LN5300 the new sweet spot for large screen HDTV's for desktop PC use?

Sounds like they have a fair mount of quality control issues with how frequently you've guys have had to return them.

How is the performance on those suckers? My friend is in the market for a solution like this. May just recommend he give it a go.

I did an initial first review over on AVS Forums. I even included a few pictures.

Everyone seems to love it the set and it often gets stellar reviews. I'm of course talking about the LG 39LN5300

Sadly, a few people have had defects with their sets. I have 3 of them in eyefinity and with the new thin bezels over past sets, it just looks amazing.

I could not be any happier. This set is honestly the new Westy 37"

Eventually I will move over to a 42" - 50" 4K, 21:9 set but that won't be for a few years.

Is the LG 39LN5300 the new sweet spot for large screen HDTV's for desktop PC use?

Sounds like they have a fair mount of quality control issues with how frequently you've guys have had to return them.

How is the performance on those suckers? My friend is in the market for a solution like this. May just recommend he give it a go.
Pretty sure it's only the one poster, PCDC650, that was having issues. The other poster, Racer, was referring to a different television.

It sounds like PCDC650 bought 3 in a row from the same store. They may have all been on the same production run, rotten luck for him either way.

As always, purchase your HDTV's from places that allow for easy returns.

The other poster, Racer, was referring to a different television.

That's correct, and I have edited my post to reflect that. I'm sorry for any confusion the lack of clarity caused anyone. I was referring to my experience with the Dynex DX-32L230A12 set as I purchased two that both had defects. One was from in the store (which had a tear in the panel) and, the other was brought in from the store's warehouse as a replacement (which had some sort of panel uniformity/backlight issue where 1/4 of the entire left side of the screen had a very washed out gamma/brightness/contrast). Granted, Dynex is a 3rd tier company but no company is immune from a bad run or stuff slipping past Q&A. After all, LG did cut a lot of corners in 2012 and sold sets advertised with features they didn't have including proper pulldown for 24p sources.

I have no experience at all with the LG xxLN530 series though. Going by SixFootDuo's comments though, they must have learned their lesson from last year's "mistakes".

In addition to being an utterly fantastic monitor, I can't get over how much physically better-looking the 39LN5300 is over the LK450. My only problem right now is that I need to move the set away from me more; at the same distance as the 37, its just a little too close. I am having all of my monitors wall mounted, though, as I move over to an IKEA Galant I finally found at the right price on Craigslist.

For those people who do not know how to tell a a VA from an IPS panel, here is how.

Go here...

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

...set your browser to full screen (ALT+ENTER). If the "LAGOM" text in the gray field changes when viewed from a 45 degree angle, or you notice a darker circular mass in the center when viewed head on, you have a VA panel.

Another way, is to put up a dark gray (95/95/95) background on your desktop, or go here...

http://tft.vanity.dk/monitorTest_scale.html

...and change the background to dark gray on the text page. Then sit head on and check for the dark circular presence of VA based gamma shift/ crush.

If you own a LG 39LN5300, please report your findings here. If these sets have a good chance of having IPS panels, then they will be the new best friend of us PC multimedia and PC gaming crowd. Barring the clouding/ uniformity issues reported. And I hope there is not another silly panel lottery.

LG does make 39" IPS panels, as confirmed wit this model (at least in their marketing)...

http://www.lg.com/ae/tvs/lg-39LA6120

The 39 inch I got didn't seem to be IPS - and its text quality was not as good as the 42LN5700 that I am using right now to type this message on my computer.

Also when you look at the pixel matrix on the 39LN5300 its rectangular vs the 42LN5700 having chevron shapes for the pixels. I got the LN5700 because Best Buy has plenty of those in stock but none of the LN5300... the price difference isn't worth the time waiting or thinking about what to replace my old Westy 37 with...

This is the pixel pattern of the 39inch (along with a dead pixel) (39LN5300)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...1CKY/w412-h611-no/IMG_20130522_182234_572.jpg
NOT IPS

This is the pixel pattern of the 42inch LN5700 by LG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...COek/w430-h302-no/IMG_20130523_161830_073.jpg
should be S-IPS

These are definitely not IPS, based on the viewing angle tests alone; the chevron pixels prove it as well.

I still think its one of the best monitors I have ever had, so far. To the naked eye it is as least as good if not better than my 37LK450, which is definitely IPS. Given the bezel size, I am still thinking about going 3-by landscape with two more of these ala SixFootDuo.

The one drawback I will report is that in some very few cases of black-on-white text, I can't seem to get the sharpness to line up as precisely as I would like. The test in the web-browser game Candy Box!, for example, seems a little fuzzy if I don't push back my viewing distance a bit. These cases are so rare that I have to deliberately go out of my way to find them, though.

These are definitely not IPS, based on the viewing angle tests alone; the chevron pixels prove it as well.

I still think its one of the best monitors I have ever had, so far. To the naked eye it is as least as good if not better than my 37LK450, which is definitely IPS. Given the bezel size, I am still thinking about going 3-by landscape with two more of these ala SixFootDuo.

The one drawback I will report is that in some very few cases of black-on-white text, I can't seem to get the sharpness to line up as precisely as I would like. The test in the web-browser game Candy Box!, for example, seems a little fuzzy if I don't push back my viewing distance a bit. These cases are so rare that I have to deliberately go out of my way to find them, though.

I've noticed a minor quirk with this set, if you switch from a PC input to a non-PC input and back, it seems to disable 4:4:4, making the text fuzzy. A quick power cycle brings everything back to normal. That might be your issue.

I picked up a LG 32LN5700 (Bestbuy didn't have the 5300) thinking it would be able to replace my old 37w3 Westy. Another disappointment. Text is not as clear and sharp as the Westy, you can tell it's still doing some kind of processing. Tried all HDMI ports labeled as PC and fiddling around with the remaining settings that aren't grayed out. I have an old 46" EX400 Sony I use with a HTPC for video only, which has better looking text then the LG. I've tested so many sets now over the years that I've given up on TV's for monitors, it's no longer worth the hassle. Unless I can find some generic non-name brand TV with zero processing features that still hopefully has a DVI port, I'll be going back to regular monitors. I'll miss the large TV size though.

Finally purchased the 39LN5300! And I'm not sure what I think. I've only watched TV and played PS3 games with it so far (no time too hook it up to my PC but I'll get to it!). Using the settings posted in this thread, the colors overall do look better, but it looks a little blurry. Hard to tell with a picture taken by my smartphone, but it's there and I hope this could be of any use:

9060038528_de649c6d4a_b.jpg

Infamous 2 especially, it looks really bad. And I heard this was supposed to be one of the best looking games on the PS3. The edges and lines are super jaggy, while the overall picture quality is kind of blurry.

9059890492_044dc9359f_b.jpg

(that's my window on the right, ignore that :p )

9059895414_6a8db51dab_b.jpg

I don't know if this is how the TV looks, or I have the settings wrong, or if its just because PS3 games look old. The ultimate test will be hooking it up to my PC and playing games on it, then I will let you know! But in the meantime did anyone get any ideas from what it might be from these pictures?

Also I can hear a pretty audible buzzing noise coming from the back of the TV. Is that normal for you as well?

For those people who do not know how to tell a a VA from an IPS panel, here is how.

Go here...

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

...set your browser to full screen (ALT+ENTER). If the "LAGOM" text in the gray field changes when viewed from a 45 degree angle, or you notice a darker circular mass in the center when viewed head on, you have a VA panel.

Another way, is to put up a dark gray (95/95/95) background on your desktop, or go here...

http://tft.vanity.dk/monitorTest_scale.html

...and change the background to dark gray on the text page. Then sit head on and check for the dark circular presence of VA based gamma shift/ crush.

If you own a LG 39LN5300, please report your findings here. If these sets have a good chance of having IPS panels, then they will be the new best friend of us PC multimedia and PC gaming crowd. Barring the clouding/ uniformity issues reported. And I hope there is not another silly panel lottery.

LG does make 39" IPS panels, as confirmed wit this model (at least in their marketing)...

http://www.lg.com/ae/tvs/lg-39LA6120

Reporting in. 39L5300. When looking directly head on, the grey background turns a pinkish hue towards the left and right edges of the screen, and turns that color completely when looking on an angle. It definitely is VA then. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that all 32" and 39" LN5300's are VA, and all the 42"s are IPS. I don't think the $80 price difference between the 39" and 42" inch is from the 3 inch screen size difference.

With that being said, I'm looking to upgrade to 42" for two reasons. After comparing the 39LN5300 with my PLS monitor, I could instantly tell that the TV (even calibrated) looks noticeable more washed out than my monitor. Also, my TV will much higher up than where I'm sitting, so the colors are definitely distorted at the angle I'll be viewing it. Even looking directly at the monitor, the LAGOM test did show the colors getting distorted a little around the edges.

I can deal with the backlight bleed and IPS glow, but my question to you guys is how will the input lag/overall responsiveness of the TV compare between the 32"/39" and 42" versions? Is the IPS panel in the 42" TV noticeably worse? I don't know how this TV fares with an IPS panel. It would be easy to say that all IPS panels have more lag, but I was proven wrong with my 6ms IPS monitor and a 5ms PLS monitor.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
again... the 42LN5700 is what you want. the 39's are using a non-ips LCD.

I have 2 42LN5700 and they are absolutely perfect.

again... the 42LN5700 is what you want. the 39's are using a non-ips LCD.

I have 2 42LN5700 and they are absolutely perfect.

Have you gamed on them though? How responsive are they? If anyone has tried out both a 32"/39" and a 42", I would greatly appreciate a comparison with the TV's lag. Yes I know the 42" will look better.

The 5700 is a bit out of my price range, and frankly I need don't a smart TV since this is going in the same room as my desktop and my PS3/PS4 (eventually) will be hooked up to it. U

Unless it's only the 5700 that is IPS, which I hope isn't true.

Last edited:
Back