LCD/plasma for wii60, help me choose

SoFGR

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently played some disaster day of crysis and moh heroes on my old 20" sdtv, even when with a rgb scart instead of composite i find the image to be really blurry,it actually hurts me eyes especially when i try to read 2-3 parapgraphs of text.

So i need something better for my wii and potentially a 360 ( i'm planning to get one as soon as perfect dark arrives on XBLA ) i don't really want an LCD PC monitor(unless it has an intergrated tv tuner or something ) since i don't like playing my favorite PC fps's at anything less than 100/120hz thank you :p

I want a display which can fulfill all the below requirements ( if possible )

1) ZERO input lag, no 70, no 40, no flactuations between 0-10ms

2) 1:1 pixel mapping so i can play wii's 480p games without any stretching / scaling

3) colors and viewing angles do not have to be perfect, i'll be setting in front of the thing playing games most of the time no photoshop or anything else demanding, i don't care much about horizontal angles but wide vertical ones would be nice so the colors won't change too much when I have to stand up in order to play wii sports for example

4) low native resolution, 1920*1080 would be pointless since most "next gen" games are running in fake 1080p as we all know ( http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1372598 ) 1280*720 would be nice since the tv won't have to do any scaling at all when playing SFIV at 720p for example

I don't really need anything higher than 1366*768, a lower 16:9 (instead of 16:10) native resolution would be much better i think since the black borders will get even bigger when i'll be viewing 480p content with 1:1 pixel mapping.

Oh, one last thing, afaik most tvs do 1:1 pixel mapping only though vga / dvi-d / hdmi and only when they are fed with progressive scan correct ? unfortunately wii runs Virtual Console titles at 480i 4:3 not 480p, component cable is the only "official" way of getting 480p out of the wii ( rgb scart composite and s-video = 480i ) should i get a component to vga adapter ? do i have to buy a specific one or are they all the same ? would this adapter potentially add any input lag ? is it possible to do 1:1 pixel mapping on some tvs even if you feed them with interlaced signal ?

Plasma recommendations are also welcome, I don't care much about money but it shouldn't be too bulky since there's limited space in my living room, thanks for your time and sorry for my english :p

Ok maybe i was asking too much, are there any HDTVs who scale without adding input lag during the process ? I'm ok if the tv tries to fit 480p/480i in its native resolution as long as the scaler does not introduce any input lag

I'll try to give my two cents and hopefully answer your questions. I've got a 32'' Sony Bravia; its an HDTV, not a computer monitor like say a Samsung T240HD. It is 1080p and works perfectly with PS3 Games (Same with 360), and Wii is outputted to its correct aspect ratio with no distortion. It fills the screen up no matter if the content is of lower resolution. Like you said most games are not real 1080p. COD4 is a perfect example as its not even 720p, its 576p. For virtual games on Wii, there is no distortion. All HDTVs are 16:9 ratio, which is the standard versus 16:10 on monitors although nowadays monitors are going the 16:9 route too. I myself cannot detect lag when gaming on the Sony, but I'm not one who looks for lag or can really tell if its lag to be honest. I think most HDTVs are 16 ms to 30 ms of lag. Though I may confusing this with response time. *Correct if wrong* Also I don't think HDTVs do much work or introduce lag when scaling things.

I mentioned the Samsung T240HD. There is a thread on here (just search) regarding this monitor. Its a hit and miss here, but to be honest I liked it. It has all the connections you need, minus the composite, but it has a tv tuner, which I think is rare for monitors to have. Lag on this is around 5 ms.

Hopefully this helped,

One2The3

2) is simply not possible. 1:1 pixel mapping for the Wii means a screen with a resolution of 480p.

You didn't mention screen size or budget.

edit: Just realized you said you want to watch 480p content in native resolution with black bars. WTF?

Last edited:
Back