LCD options for a diehard CRT fan

Sharps

n00b
Evening everyone.

I play FPS games competitively, and I'm quite the perfectionist about response times, but felt it was about time to make the obvious transition into the LCD world.

I just recentely bought a Samsung T260HD, both to get rid of my PC CRT and small screen TV in the bedroom.
Admittedly, I did hardly any research on the matter, thinking that all these years since the LCD technology appeared brought them closer to what CRT's were/are..

Boy was I wrong.

Everything seemed perfect until I fired up Call of Duty MW2. The mouse response was horrible, removing any sort of precision from it. And ANY resolution other than the native 1680 x 1050 res looked completely aweful and out of place.
I traded the T260HD for a smaller T220HD, having read somewhere that size has some sort of impact on the input lag, but it was exactly the same.

Now I'm at a loss on what to do, since CRT's aren't exactly sold/made anymore.

Are there any decent gaming LCD's options with TV included? Looking for anything in the 20'' - 23'' range and on a lose 300€ budget.

If not with TV, any good monitors with no input lag? (or at least noticeable)

Thanks

All LCD's are going to look pretty bad when not used at the native resolution.

Maybe a smaller 1080p plasma tv? Just throwing the idea out there -- I'm not as input lag sensitive as I game on a cheap 28in LCD on my desktop. One downside would be if you move it a lot to lan parties etc., as you can't lay plasmas down -- they have to be transported upright.

I thought the T260HD is a 1920x1200 res screen? But I've also heard that the T---HD screens are notorious for input delay. Probably due to all the TV components.

So an LCD with TV *and* low enough input lag for gaming is out of the picture? :(

I thought the T260HD is a 1920x1200 res screen?

You're absolutely correct, sorry about that.

What I meant to say it's that - setting it to 1680 x 1050 (the res I've normally played stuff on the CRT) looked absolutely wrong, actually anything other than the native 1920x1200 was so wrong it shouldn't even be an option hehe

I realize these LCD things are meant to be at their native settings, but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the industry took such a huge step back CRT -> LCD... which is a matter of opinion I guess.

Did you try turning off v-sync? I felt the same way when I got my first LCD a few months ago and tried to play an fps online, I could not hit a damn thing, mouse felt like shit and the 60fps made it look like people were warping around.
Turned off v-sync for my 125fps and the only thing I had to get use to was the aspect ratio. My friend who is a hardcore fps gamer has that same monitor too, he had no complaints after switching to it and forcing a 4:3 screen.

The Samsung 2233rz and Viewsonic VX2265wm are true 120Hz and are the only LCDs even comparable to the good CRTs as far as motion smoothness and responsiveness. Otherwise, don't bother. You will be disappointed with every other monitor, while you only might be disappointed by these ones.

yeah, those 120hz monitors are getting cheaper, right?
in any cas,e, like the guy above said, disabling vsync helps

Disabling vsync means you will get max frame rate all the time but it also means tearing of the image. Depends on the type of game you play as to how bothersome it can be. In flight sims I find it quite annoying because it causes the cockpit frame to tear as you scan the skies but in most FPS it is ok, except Quake4 I noticed it was really bad for some reason. In a racing game it is ok because you don't pan your view much at all.

Back