LCD on its way out?

Limp Gawd
My LCD's backlight seems to be going out or thats all I can make of it. At first I thought it was just completely going off, but then I noticed I could make out a faint image. For example, if I was surfing the net when it went off, I could scroll up and down and just barely make out the page moving. This tells me that the video card is producing the image, there's just something going awry on the LCD's end? How can I fix it? Is it worth it? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sounds like your backlight went/is going. You can fix this if you have the expertise with taking stuff apart (and getting it back together again :D ) and own a soldering gun or get lucky with a plug. Search eBay for your model monitor, there might be some broken LCDs on there with good backlights. Buy it, make 1 working display out of both!

Problem fixed!

Then again if its a 15" old LCD, then its a perfect excuse to upgrade to that new 24" wide you've always been drooling over! :p

Hmm, I might give that try. I'll wait for more responses first. I forgot to mention it's a ViewSonic VX724. I've had it for about 2 years I would guess.

If it's out of warranty, Take it to a Tech, almost any tech.

According to your explanation, sounds like a fusistor. Fusistors die slowly, on then off, unlike a standard fuse.
Ask he or she to check continuity for F1 (suface mount fusistor) on the inverter board.
That means simply using an Ohmmeter.
The inverter powers the lamps.

If it isnt the fusistor and you like the monitor a lot, just buy a new inverter board. Small price.

That usually does the trick.I fix a lot of samsung, Nec, gateway,etc.

Squish

I'm gonna crack it open myself, tomorrow probably. I used to be a computer technician, I feel comfortable at least taking a look under the hood. Maybe if I snap a pic of it, you could circle what the fusistor is/looks like? Thanks for the replies.

Cool

Viewsonic Backlight inverters look like this.

dac12c024mss.jpg

It will be marked on the board aside the component F1 or FR, a tiny rectangular box shape, silver square ends.
In the area of that white connector. A refurbed inverter costs about 80 bucks.
If you find an open FR1 it will have been worth the time.
In my expireance it's always been the fuse, from reading your symtoms.

Read this:
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...Sonic+VX724+inverter&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

Squish

I'm having some trouble getting it apart. I've taken out the 4 screws in each corner. I don't see anymore screws, but I do see a hole and above it has a "K" and a picture of a lock in the locked position. The hole is wide and narrow, kinda like where a flat head screwdriver would fit into.

Back