LCD,LED screens 'burn" my eyes! What is the solution?

I am using CRT monitor with 120hz resolution with no problems,i can use it all day without a problem.
I bought a new LED screen,TN panel,5 ms,expensive one and soon my eyes started to hurt,i would get a headache,then i noticed the "red eye symptom"

I tried using 2 other LCD screens and same effect

new LCD TV=same effect

Does someone else here has this problem and how did you solved it?

Would IPS or led screens with 120hz be a solution?

I have only found this solution http://vasyafromukraine.webs.com/
it seems to be legit,he aint selling nothing but i aint good in things like that

If my crt monitor "dies"on me i dont know what then

I also have similar problems with LCD monitors, in my experience a low level of brightness can improve the situation.
Strangely, I haven't any problem with my 40" led TV, perhaps for the increased viewing distance.

I had problems with led lcd screens at first, but setting the brightness up to max got rid of the flicker that was giving me headaches.

Out of personal interest, do you wear glasses while looking at your LCD? I notice that if I leave my glasses on and use an LCD I get many of the symptoms you discuss within 10 minutes whereas if I take them off and sit closer I can use LCD's all day with zero discomfort.

Another possibility is some glasses from Gunnar Optiks. I find some relief from mine.

Get a ccfl lcd, hertz has nothing to do with it, lcd's don't flicker like crts.

It's probably the bluish white that the led backlights make that is bothering you. CCFL lcd's have a more yellowish white. Also turn the brightness down, most screens are set way too high. My 3008wfp is set at 0 (zero) brightness right now, 100 burns the crap out of my eyes.

I have 2 monitors a LED TN & CCFL PVA and the LED bothers my eyes if I have the brightness set to high, factory settings were way to bright, Try lowering it.

I too have to crank the brightness down. Those LED backlights are stupid bright.

I also have similar problems with LCD monitors, in my experience a low level of brightness can improve the situation.
Strangely, I haven't any problem with my 40" led TV, perhaps for the increased viewing distance.

I tried that,no help

I had problems with led lcd screens at first, but setting the brightness up to max got rid of the flicker that was giving me headaches.

I also tried that,i heard that on some monitors it stops the flickering but it did not help also

Out of personal interest, do you wear glasses while looking at your LCD? I notice that if I leave my glasses on and use an LCD I get many of the symptoms you discuss within 10 minutes whereas if I take them off and sit closer I can use LCD's all day with zero discomfort.

I dont wear glasses,i have perfect vision

I have 2 monitors a LED TN & CCFL PVA and the LED bothers my eyes if I have the brightness set to high, factory settings were way to bright, Try lowering it.

Tried,no help

Get a ccfl lcd, hertz has nothing to do with it, lcd's don't flicker like crts.

It's probably the bluish white that the led backlights make that is bothering you. CCFL lcd's have a more yellowish white. Also turn the brightness down, most screens are set way too high. My 3008wfp is set at 0 (zero) brightness right now, 100 burns the crap out of my eyes.

I tried 2 ccfl lcs screens and same result
and also a LCD TV,but no help (increased viewing distance did not help)

There isn't much more you can do apart from what others have mentioned already.

What magic solution did you think someone was going to suggest?

Maybe wear sunglasses lol?

Either you need to modify the monitor (brightness, backlight) or modify your viewing situation (angle, distance) or put something in between the monitor and your eyes (glasses, sunglasses?).

Apart from that, what else could anyone else possibly suggest?

turn down the brightness. i think manufacturers have really cranked up the brightness in the past few years. now it actually hurts when i turn a new monitor on.

Brightness on many LCDs at ZERO, is higher than an old CRT at Max.

This was the biggest adjustment for me when I first moved to LCD.

it seems to be legit,he aint selling nothing but i aint good in things like that

That was a good read. I've always had problems with some LCD's and now I know why. Fortunately I don't own any LED backlit LCD's at home right now.

So what are some of the better models of LCD monitors with analog PWM controls on CCFL LCD's? Mostly older models I assume?

There isn't much more you can do apart from what others have mentioned already.

What magic solution did you think someone was going to suggest?

Maybe wear sunglasses lol?

Either you need to modify the monitor (brightness, backlight) or modify your viewing situation (angle, distance) or put something in between the monitor and your eyes (glasses, sunglasses?).

Apart from that, what else could anyone else possibly suggest?

You ok?

turn down the brightness. i think manufacturers have really cranked up the brightness in the past few years. now it actually hurts when i turn a new monitor on.

tried all settings,it does not help

Brightness on many LCDs at ZERO, is higher than an old CRT at Max.

This was the biggest adjustment for me when I first moved to LCD.

Does not change nothing.

That was a good read. I've always had problems with some LCD's and now I know why. Fortunately I don't own any LED backlit LCD's at home right now.

So what are some of the better models of LCD monitors with analog PWM controls on CCFL LCD's? Mostly older models I assume?

What monitor do you use that does not give you problems/And what monitor does give you problems?

I am curious if someone solved this problem with s or h-IPS panels or with lcd with 120hz

ps. I dont know about this: "So what are some of the better models of LCD monitors with analog PWM controls on CCFL LCD's? Mostly older models I assume?"

What is the solution?
The solution is to see an eye care professional and to not post about your problem on this forum until you do.

Also, trying to buy your way out of this is what all the others tried, and it never works.

maybe it´s caused by PWM-flickering...

PWM (pulse width modulation) is used for dimming the backlight. Because LEDs react very quickly this technique can cause flickering. Some people can see it - some not.

TEST:
1) Open a program with white background (e.g. Microsoft Word)
2) Turn down backlight to about 50%
3) Move your hand quickly (like waving) in front of the screen (with spread fingers).

a) if you can see a stroboscope effect (like in disco / jumping fingers) the backlight of you monitor is flickering
b) if your fingers look soft and blurry there is no flickering

make a cross check in front of a surface illuminated by a "normal" lamp -> your fingers look blurry if you move your hand quickly in front of it

Last edited:
I'd suggest you try designing your room lighting too. Never make the monitor the brightest light in the room.
If the monitor is not in a lit room, it can feel more like staring into a flashlight after awhile, but keeping light sources above and behind where you sit pollutes the monitor's surface with light, no matter what the coating.
Keep room lighting adjacent to and behind the monitor if possible. I know behind isn't usually an option since people are stuck in the ancient desk against the wall mode like a bookshelf, but you might consider taking over a corner of a room for your desk, facing outward. Then all room lights would be behind the back of your monitor. Then keep a few floor lamps adjacent to the desk (or on a large desk desk lamps adjacent to the monitors), nothing behind you.
Another important point is to have a lamp or light sources from the room hitting on *both* sides of the desk, and otherwise equalized room lighting if thats not possible. Dark on one side, light on the other can cause headaches too. Don't have very bright unshaded light sources in your viewpoint at all if you can help it, whether you are staring at them or not, they are hitting your eye like a laser beam.
More suggestions... if it doesn't affect your projects, turn the color scheme to grey(darker) document backgrounds rather than white. You can also get a firefox addon called "color that site" which does a custom color scheme or simple brightness slider on a per site basis and stores it.
BTW, a soft lamp behind the TV might help too, depending on why this is happening to you.
All lcd's also blur, and you can become hypersensitive to it. That shouldn't be a problem using documents so much, but video and gaming blurring can make your eyes strain trying to refocus-away the blur every time.

Last edited:
I am using CRT monitor with 120hz resolution with no problems,i can use it all day without a problem.
I bought a new LED screen,TN panel,5 ms,expensive one and soon my eyes started to hurt,i would get a headache,then i noticed the "red eye symptom"

I tried using 2 other LCD screens and same effect

new LCD TV=same effect

Does someone else here has this problem and how did you solved it?

Would IPS or led screens with 120hz be a solution?

If my crt monitor "dies"on me i dont know what then

Here is my take and advice:

First; panel type does not matter that much, but stay away from TN for a lot of reasons.

What I suggest is try bias lighting if you haven't already.

Pay close attention to dot pitch. The tighter the dot pitch the smaller the text and that leads to eye strain. This is actually an issue in Windows and just about every OS that has never been addressed properly.

Any eyecare professional will tell you to look away from the screen periodically, which is a problem if you are gaming. I find it bast to game on a CRT and to do everything else on an LCD, but every person if different.

Last but not least; rather than saying nothing works, nothing works. Slow down a little bit and pay attention to subtle differences. give changes more of a chance to show their worth or lack there of. As others have said you cannot buy your way out of this, you need to learn to manage it, and see your eye doctor for sure.

I have to reduce the brightness on the LCD monitors I use or I get fatigued eyes. I also prefer applications and websites with dark background (like the H) to reduce my eyestrain.

The typical computer LCD backlight comes to me at about 80-90, and I set them at around 30-40.

Also, my LG LED LCD TV actually came to me in power saver mode, so that combined with the ambient light sensor means my eyes never get taxed :D

Last edited:
The solution is to see an eye care professional and to not post about your problem on this forum until you do.

Also, trying to buy your way out of this is what all the others tried, and it never works.

No,that aint a solution,my eyes are fine,it is the technology

maybe it´s caused by PWM-flickering...

PWM (pulse width modulation) is used for dimming the backlight. Because LEDs react very quickly this technique can cause flickering. Some people can see it - some not.

TEST:
1) Open a program with white background (e.g. Microsoft Word)
2) Turn down backlight to about 50%
3) Move your hand quickly (like waving) in front of the screen (with spread fingers).

a) if you can see a stroboscope effect (like in disco / jumping fingers) the backlight of you monitor is flickering
b) if your fingers look soft and blurry there is no flickering

make a cross check in front of a surface illuminated by a "normal" lamp -> your fingers look blurry if you move your hand quickly in front of it

I guess it is because of flickering and i tried the change the brightnesses but it has no effect,LED or LCD without LED backlights cause same problem to me

I'd suggest you try designing your room lighting too. Never make the monitor the brightest light in the room.
If the monitor is not in a lit room, it can feel more like staring into a flashlight after awhile, but keeping light sources above and behind where you sit pollutes the monitor's surface with light, no matter what the coating.
Keep room lighting adjacent to and behind the monitor if possible. I know behind isn't usually an option since people are stuck in the ancient desk against the wall mode like a bookshelf, but you might consider taking over a corner of a room for your desk, facing outward. Then all room lights would be behind the back of your monitor. Then keep a few floor lamps adjacent to the desk (or on a large desk desk lamps adjacent to the monitors), nothing behind you.
Another important point is to have a lamp or light sources from the room hitting on *both* sides of the desk, and otherwise equalized room lighting if thats not possible. Dark on one side, light on the other can cause headaches too. Don't have very bright unshaded light sources in your viewpoint at all if you can help it, whether you are staring at them or not, they are hitting your eye like a laser beam.
More suggestions... if it doesn't affect your projects, turn the color scheme to grey(darker) document backgrounds rather than white. You can also get a firefox addon called "color that site" which does a custom color scheme or simple brightness slider on a per site basis and stores it.
BTW, a soft lamp behind the TV might help too, depending on why this is happening to you.

I use basic color option in firefox,
I use good lighting in the room( that does not go directly in my eyes)
I my distance and position of the screen is set in a right way

All that has no effect if i use LCD,LED screens but with this CRT screen i am using right now i have no problem what so ever

Here is my take and advice:

First; panel type does not matter that much, but stay away from TN for a lot of reasons.

What I suggest is try bias lighting if you haven't already.

Pay close attention to dot pitch. The tighter the dot pitch the smaller the text and that leads to eye strain. This is actually an issue in Windows and just about every OS that has never been addressed properly.

Any eyecare professional will tell you to look away from the screen periodically, which is a problem if you are gaming. I find it bast to game on a CRT and to do everything else on an LCD, but every person if different.

Last but not least; rather than saying nothing works, nothing works. Slow down a little bit and pay attention to subtle differences. give changes more of a chance to show their worth or lack there of. As others have said you cannot buy your way out of this, you need to learn to manage it, and see your eye doctor for sure.

Doctors cant help with this,my eyes are not a problem,when i am not using a LCD,LED screen i have no problems with my eyes

I dont know about panel type,i dont have an option to use IPS or LCD monitor with 120hz so I dont know if that would make a difrence

something in regular LCD,LED monitors is causing this problem(flickering etc.) so different technology could be an answer since CRT causes no problems to me

p.s.It is funny how some people here seem to be angry,insulted etc. because i made this thread,idk maybe they sell LCD,LED screens or they are just not very happy with themselves.

While this will not help you during the day.. http://stereopsis.com/flux/
It warms the screen colors based on what time it it, I have been using it for a long while and it helps at night.
It might help you, might not.

:)

I have the same problem, there is something "un-natural" about LCD/LED screens, I've never felt comfortable looking at them. For the most part I just ignore it. I get more eye strain, head aches and related problems now than I ever did from CRTs. Maybe it's just from getting older I don't know.

CDs vs Albums sort of similar situation. I'll take the albums :D

http://vasyafromukraine.webs.com/

Great, I should not of read that page :)

If it comes down to using one single very expensive ultra high quality monitor vs 3 cheaper or mid-range monitors it might be better and healthier to go with a higher quality one. It's probably not be something to mess around with, that's our eyeballs we're fucking with. Eyefinity, multi-monitors is cool but that is a lot of "nu-natural" light shining at your face. How good is good enough though? A lot of this kind of stuff it may be bullshit as well to sell people stuff and webpage hits. uhh

Last edited:
I have the same problem, there is something "un-natural" about LCD/LED screens, I've never felt comfortable looking at them. For the most part I just ignore it. I get more eye strain, head aches and related problems now than I ever did from CRTs. Maybe it's just from getting older I don't know.

If it comes down to using one single very expensive ultra high quality monitor vs 3 cheaper or mid-range monitors it might be better and healthier to go with a higher quality one. It might not be something to mess around with, that's our eyeballs we're fucking with. Eyefinity, multi-monitors is cool but that is a lot of nu-natural light shining at your face.

I agree man,If only i could test some of those very expensive monitors,just looking at them in the store for 2,3min aint enough

And it is funny how people say those most expensive monitors are for professionals,why? i also care about my eyes.
If i new those monitors would help i would not regret spending my money on it

No,that aint a solution,my eyes are fine,it is the technology

No, you DO have a problem. You probably are not blinking enough, and getting dry eyes. Go see an opthomolgist, they may be able to give you some prescription eye drops... but really, you need to give your eyes time to adjust. It's like going from glasses to contacts.

No, you DO have a problem. You probably are not blinking enough, and getting dry eyes. Go see an opthomolgist, they may be able to give you some prescription eye drops... but really, you need to give your eyes time to adjust. It's like going from glasses to contacts.

Noup,it aint that.

If it comes down to using one single very expensive ultra high quality monitor vs 3 cheaper or mid-range monitors it might be better and healthier to go with a higher quality one. It's probably not be something to mess around with, that's our eyeballs we're fucking with. Eyefinity, multi-monitors is cool but that is a lot of "nu-natural" light shining at your face. How good is good enough though? A lot of this kind of stuff it may be bullshit as well to sell people stuff and webpage hits. uhh

Same here. I just cannot stand CCFL's. My house is full of them at the moment, and they are awful. They produce some kind of sickly light that I just can't get used to, not to mention they flicker. I guess they are equally junk in monitors as well.

I can't wait to replace the bulbs with Halogen. I'd go LED, but it's too expensive still.

Same here. I just cannot stand CCFL's. My house is full of them at the moment, and they are awful. They produce some kind of sickly light that I just can't get used to, not to mention they flicker. I guess they are equally junk in monitors as well.

I can't wait to replace the bulbs with Halogen. I'd go LED, but it's too expensive still.

For me regular lights are the best
led and halogen=no thanks

WTF do you think the "red eye" effect is then?

Read it,he explains it much better

@CANTUSELCDLED,

Look for an IPS monitor with a CCFL. You'll get the closest you can to a CRT with lack of flicker, color fidelity and viewing angles.

The Dell 2209WA I have is a near perfect LCD, IMO. If you can still find one, even on Fleabay, I recommend it. It's a 16:10, which is better than 16:9, and not an obscenely wide resolution like 1920x1080

If you want your precious 4:3 back, the single best IPS 4:3 LCD made was the HP LP2065.

(Another CRT lover)

Edit:
See this link. It's a little outdated, but may help. http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/lcd.panels.in.monitors.htm?sz=&tm=&sm=&res=&br=&cr=&rt=&va=&man=&typ=&pan=&showobsolete=on

Last edited:
@CANTUSELCDLED,

Look for an IPS monitor with a CCFL. You'll get the closest you can to a CRT with lack of flicker, color fidelity and viewing angles.

The Dell 2209WA I have is a near perfect LCD, IMO. If you can still find one, even on Fleabay, I recommend it. It's a 16:10, which is better than 16:9, and not an obscenely wide resolution like 1920x1080

If you want your precious 4:3 back, the single best IPS 4:3 LCD made was the

(Another CRT lover)

Edit:
See this link. It's a little outdated, but may help. http://lcdtech.no-ip.info/en/data/lcd.panels.in.monitors.htm?sz=&tm=&sm=&res=&br=&cr=&rt=&va=&man=&typ=&pan=&showobsolete=on

Dell 2209WA=cant find in my country

HP LP2065=same as dell

man it seems,the new-er the technology the worse it gets,but thanks for the suggestions

Have you tried a glare filter?

The monitors i used did not have those glossy screens like on most laptops and light did not go directly to it

HP LP2065=same as dell

man it seems,the new-er the technology the worse it gets,but thanks for the suggestions

There are legitimate reasons for having a thin and lightweight display, but they cannot come at the expense of image quality, which should always be a priority. I don't hold the display in my lap when I am at the PC nor do I put my book collection behind it to care how heavy or thin it is. I want it to display the best possible image - that is it's purpose.

The shift to LCD had to have been one of the weaker moves we have made in the past 20 years.

I repaired and readjusted a lot of CRT's in my house (I think I have around 7, counting the TV's and monitors) and when you actually open up, work with and understand these devices you realise just how much better and more advanced the technology is than what we are using today. Yes, more advanced.

The light emitted via cathodoluminescence is much more natural than a CCFL which is a pretty bad technology in itself, having spikes in the visible color spectrum and not continuous or smooth transitions like incandescent. Don't get me started on the PWM.

ESL bulbs are going to be great. They use CRT technology for lighting.

As far as the monitors, we can still recoup for this if FED ever makes it to the market. A mild-antiglare, 1920x1200, 240 Hz FED would be my definition of an ideal display.

There are legitimate reasons for having a thin and lightweight display, but they cannot come at the expense of image quality, which should always be a priority. I don't hold the display in my lap when I am at the PC nor do I put my book collection behind it to care how heavy or thin it is. I want it to display the best possible image - that is it's purpose.

The shift to LCD had to have been one of the weaker moves we have made in the past 20 years.

I repaired and readjusted a lot of CRT's in my house (I think I have around 7, counting the TV's and monitors) and when you actually open up, work with and understand these devices you realise just how much better and more advanced the technology is than what we are using today. Yes, more advanced.

The light emitted via cathodoluminescence is much more natural than a CCFL which is a pretty bad technology in itself, having spikes in the visible color spectrum and not continuous or smooth transitions like incandescent. Don't get me started on the PWM.

ESL bulbs are going to be great. They use CRT technology for lighting.

As far as the monitors, we can still recoup for this if FED ever makes it to the market. A mild-antiglare, 1920x1200, 240 Hz FED would be my definition of an ideal display.

I agree man,I mean thin "cool" looking screens are ok but at the end of the day i will be looking at the picture they produce not the monitor it self,and in "professional' reviews today they spend more time describing how the monitor looks instead of the picture quality.
And everything is great for them,there are just great monitor,even greater,greatest etc.

They say LCD =less radiation and that is great
and LED=less mercury(also great)

BUT eye damage=not great

I have not heard about FED until now,and that " mild-antiglare, 1920x1200, 240 Hz FED " sounds great BUT I dont have my hopes up for that to be in the market anytime soon

HP LP2065=same as dell

Well, when you put that kind of limitations on us it'll be difficult to help you. Why don't you tell us the country, or list the brands you can buy?

Well, when you put that kind of limitations on us it'll be difficult to help you. Why don't you tell us the country, or list the brands you can buy?

"us"?

Serbia is the country,also I dont have money to buy a monitor since i cant return it if it causes problems to me. And like i said,just going to the store and looking at it for 5 min is not a solution

So basically i am looking for someone with my problem that has found the solution.

"us"?

Serbia is the country,also I dont have money to buy a monitor since i cant return it if it causes problems to me. And like i said,just going to the store and looking at it for 5 min is not a solution

So basically i am looking for someone with my problem that has found the solution.

Serbia? Then I understand, I'm from Croatia ... :p The return policies here are non-existant and the prices for a "good" monitor are insane.

Why not look for more used CRTs in the ads? Maybe you can find a good SONY or EIZO 21" and that would be cheap but very good. Buy 2-3 good CRT's and that will last you a few years, get them adjusted so they last as long as possible, until something better comes out.

I don't think you want to mess with a brand-new LCD by disassembling it, ruining your warranty and making it incandescent-backlit. Much smarter to sell it than risk ruining it, because if you are sure it is the technology that bothers you, then you can't do much else other than switch to another one.

Serbia? Then I understand, I'm from Croatia ... :p The return policies here are non-existant and the prices for a "good" monitor are insane.

Why not look for more used CRTs in the ads? Maybe you can find a good SONY or EIZO 21" and that would be cheap but very good. Buy 2-3 good CRT's and that will last you a few years, get them adjusted so they last as long as possible, until something better comes out.

I don't think you want to mess with a brand-new LCD by disassembling it, ruining your warranty and making it incandescent-backlit. Much smarter to sell it than risk ruining it, because if you are sure it is the technology that bothers you, then you can't do much else other than switch to another one.

E jes mali svijet(a sad nazad na eng)

yeah,the market in my country and I guess in yours also are pathetic

i guess i will have to look for a CRT screen to have them in storage

I wanted lcd because of (so they say) less radiation and LED for (so they say) less mercury

CANTUSELCDLED: Do normal energy saving bulbs (CCFLs) and normal fluorescent light also irritate and cause fatigue?

Back