Lazy Sunday FPS question...

I'd like to spend a good portion of my day indoors getting fragged in deathmatch games since I am a horrible gamer.

What game would you folks suggest I pick up on the cheap today?

I really am terrible and will get my a$$ handed to me at pretty much any game, so I am more concerned about populous (but not totally overcrowded) servers than I am at learning curve.

System specs in sig.

Last edited:
Probably Bad Company 2. You can still be a big help to your team without having "leet skillz" by spotting enemies (with the Q key by default), spamming ammo boxes/medkits/motion sensors, and repairing friendly vehicles. You'll also rake in the experience points which will get you the upgrades that make killing easier like magnum ammo and different guns.

CoD MW1
Quakelive
CounterStrike
Global Agenda? It is F2P now, and they have some PvP stuff, not sure if that is what your wanting though since it isn't really deathmatch.
Day of Defeat

Sweet, I actually own Counterstrike and Bad Company 2. I will probably just hop into Bad Company 2 and try to actually play for once!

Alliance of Valiant arms is free on steam. The learning curve is pretty much zero. It's very easy to get into. It does have the usually microtraction stuff available, but thankfully it stays out of your hair. Anything you want can be earned ingame.

Its a combination of counter-strike, TF2, COD, and L4D with leveling/equipment mmo elements. I'll be playing some today. feel free to hit me up.

I vote for MWLL. If you are not fighting in giant robots, against giant robots, you are doing it wrong.
Game requires Crysis Wars. (Multiplayer for Warhead) You don't have to be a good FPS twitch player to play MWLL. Being smart is enough. The other things will fall into place.

http://mechlivinglegends.net/

There is a MechWarriorLivingLegends mega thread around here somewhere.

Probably Bad Company 2. You can still be a big help to your team without having "leet skillz" by spotting enemies (with the Q key by default), spamming ammo boxes/medkits/motion sensors, and repairing friendly vehicles. You'll also rake in the experience points which will get you the upgrades that make killing easier like magnum ammo and different guns.

+1

Here is the thing about just about all FPS games. If you are an average gamer...until you get used to playing them and get to know the maps, etc., you will probably get your ass kicked (unless you are one of those prodigies that everyone hates). It happens to most of us... for a time. Eventually, things will get much better if you stick with it.

Some things that help me immensely....

1) Take time experimenting with different KB/M settings until you find something that works for you. That something may be unconventional and different. Where you map controls and how quickly you can get to them is a huge thing in MP game (and SP for that matter).

2) If you are playing BF, find out what works well for you and stick with it. Medics are probably the easiest to start out with Assault guys being second. With Medics, you can heal yourself, which is a big bonus. Get used to using the equipment and find out which guns work for you. Some of the guns you get early in the game are pretty good, later you will have more choices. Likewise, play with the Perks, but Ammo Perk (dammit, can't think of the name... the one that increases bullet damage) is a game changer and once you get it, things will get easier.

3) Learn the Maps. Study them and get to know the best places for cover, etc.

4) Get to know Fight or Flight... is it better to run or to fire back? For instance, if you see a sniper and you have a good idea that he saw you too, you might want to not poke you head in his direction... or you'll probably loose it. In such a case, you might be better off finding an alternative postion to fire from.

5) No thy holy-hand-grenade. Nades are scarce so use them wisely. You can either use them in an attempt to get a kill or to flush out the enemy. If it is the latter, they might go running in a panic.... be ready to pick them off!

6) What ever game you play, look for helpful hints/guides on the Web. There may be some tricks that aren't initially evident. For instance (back to BFBC2....) when you are at a low level in ranking, picking up others dropped weapons can be a godsend. You can sometimes get something really kick-ass and it will really help. Another trick is picking up a different class (will come with the weapon). If you are out of ammo, pick up an Assault loadout and furnish you and your buddies with ammo.

7) Don’t get discouraged! We all get pwned at one time or another and those guys picking you off more than likely earned their stripes. Keep at it will all get better. As you get better, it will get a lot more fun.

Also, determine which game mode works for you. In BFBC2, many people love Rush, but I hate it. I like Conquest and even Team Deathmatch better.

Oh yeah...

8) Have fun and don't take it too seriously! It is a game fer Pete's sake and no one is really dying. Unless you are a pro, no one is really winning anything either, it is just entertainment. If you get really frustrated, go find another game or go back to it later. Some players out there really need to lighten up, IMO.

One of the best things I ever read in a guide was some guy saying, the objective isn't to kill the other guy.... it is to outsmart the other guy. This is very true.... if you can predictate your enemies move, you will have a much better chance of defeating him. FPS games make you think on your toes. Learn from your mistakes and from your enemies.....

Sorry to be so verbose, but it is my nature.
Happy fragging!

Last edited:
So many interruptions to my planned lazy day. Just Got MWLL installed though. I had Crysis Wars in my Steam but not installed.

Loading it up now.

Username is maxinflixion.

Just install Urban Terror http://www.urbanterror.info/home/ or you can always try something a little faster like Quake Live or Warsow. All of these games are free and depending on your style whether you like team work or every man for himself you have good selection right here. Team Fortress 2 is also a good call probably.

Frakking love Warsow. I am in the midst of planning a new build for a media server. Wonder what it would take to host a Warsow server at the same time?

Back