Lawsuits Suck for TechDirt.com

e3f4751a093df23c71a9e345da2ae70a.jpg

TechDirt is one of the site which I got a lot of news about the TPP. It is a daily stop for me and my web browsing.
The way I view people/companies like this is that what was stated is probably true and the filer of the lawsuit has no credible or concrete evidence to counter the defendant's statement. So instead, sue them out of existence.

"The purpose of the suit is to harass and discourage rather than win.
The law can be used very easily to harass, and enough harassment on
somebody...,will generally be sufficient to cause professional decease.
If possible, of course, ruin him utterly."

- Hubbard, L. R. (1955, March). The Scientologist, a Manual on the Dissemination of Material. Ability, the Magazine of Dianetics and Scientology, volume III (1), 40-66.

There is a statement Gizmodo made about Ayyadurai and his claim to inventing email.
"Just because you create an airplane called AIRPLANE, does not make you Wilbur Wright."

This kind of BS has been going on for a looong time. Adolphe Sax was sued into bankruptcy by rival instrument makers three times starting in the late 1840s. His rivals tied him up in the courts for basically the entire 20 year period of his patent with bogus claims that he had stolen the design for the saxophone. They knew that the claims were without merit, but they managed to stall his business until the patent expired and they were then able to copy his designs and compete with him.

Oh shit I remember this issue. Lied to many investors and stole their funds. We need to change the legal system so this liars like this can't tie it up in the courts forever!

This reminds me of a childhood friend that lost $200k + to a shady businessman, fled to Mexico and his business in Mexico is thriving.

I will say this - I read recently that in the UK Libel is on the defendant to prove his/her own innocence so at least there's that.

That's how it works up here in Canada, unfortunately. Illiberal and contemptible if you ask me.

Waiting for someone to release an article about Star Citizen and the Chris Roberts scandal.

Funny you bring this up, I just got my $180 refund. I was sucked into SC because of the Wing Commander lure back from the old days... then I wised up.

I digress, Dr. Apu uh, I mean Dr. Shiva likes to pull the race card too:

From wiki

"Ayyadurai told The Hindu that he believed that news outlets retracted their stories about him because "Raytheon advertises in publications like the Huffington Post and CNN" and that if he were "a white guy and had a copyright for email, I would have my photo on every stamp in the world."[27] The day after Tomlinson's death, Ayyadurai tweeted: "I'm the low-caste, dark-skinned, Indian, who DID invent #email. Not Raytheon, who profits for war & death.Their mascot Tomlinson dies a liar"[28]"

1hisde.jpg

In the 1940s, 2 separate companies invented color television systems at the same time, CBS and RCA, but only the RCA version was actually put in use (RCA version was backwards-compatible with B&W sets, CBS version wasn't)

This guy claiming to have "invented" email would be no different than CBS claiming to have "invented" color TV.

Did he invent email? Probably. Did he invent the email system we actually use today? No.

I love how shitty little web sites like this cite the 1st amendment whenever they open mouth & insert boot. Try the STFU method when you're too broke to defend your dumbass points of view

Would it be derailing for me to inquire who actually invented email?

Also am I the only one who wants the turd from Phantom's cell # so I can send him shitty letters monthly about what an asshole he is?

Kyle cool with that?

Man, so glad [H] made it through all of that. Been hitting up this site daily for the past 15 years + and depend on it heavily for many of my purchase decisions, not to mention all the helpful people on the forums. Seriously, it's my one stop shop for any new hardware reviews.

I'm not that familiar with techdirt. I'm going to check em out and consider donating to the cause. Keep us posted on this Kyle!

If you look up Tim Roberts he is still causing a wave of failed business ventures to this day.

Amazing how few people with money to invest (read burn) bother to type a name into Google.

I love how shitty little web sites like this cite the 1st amendment whenever they open mouth & insert boot. Try the STFU method when you're too broke to defend your dumbass points of view
So, the 1st Amendment protects speech based upon the financial resources of the writer/speaker? I guess that is why Peter Thiel's butt-hurt is so powerful. The 1st Amendment defends our points of view, not cash. If you want to be a whole and place a monetary value on your rights, that is your right, though not protected by the Constitution.

So, the 1st Amendment protects speech based upon the financial resources of the writer/speaker? I guess that is why Peter Thiel's butt-hurt is so powerful. The 1st Amendment defends our points of view, not cash. If you want to be a whole and place a monetary value on your rights, that is your right, though not protected by the Constitution.
You mean those other people who were suing gawker should have been hosed because they're poor?

You do know they had 5-6 active lawsuits for similar activities, and Gawker's fear was thiel would bankroll all of them.

Gawker is a piece of shit rag who defied a judges order and got the long shaft of the law. Fuck 'em. Judge also protected the other writers.

This kind of BS has been going on for a looong time. Adolphe Sax was sued into bankruptcy by rival instrument makers three times starting in the late 1840s. His rivals tied him up in the courts for basically the entire 20 year period of his patent with bogus claims that he had stolen the design for the saxophone. They knew that the claims were without merit, but they managed to stall his business until the patent expired and they were then able to copy his designs and compete with him.
Another case was between Tesla/ Westinghouse and Eddison/ JP Morgan.
From "The Men Who Built America" series

One thing that disgusts me more than anything is the idea that people sue others to gain financially and ruin others' lives...often times over lies they are telling or getting away with. :mad:

Would it be derailing for me to inquire who actually invented email?

Also am I the only one who wants the turd from Phantom's cell # so I can send him shitty letters monthly about what an asshole he is?

Kyle cool with that?

Ray Tomlinson is credited with defining and delivering the early characteristics of what we call email. Ultimately it was a team of people on the ARPANET projects for MIlitary communications. Technically a bunch of people invented it, all of them give credit to Tom. The problem is this douchbag copyrighted(patented whatever) the term Email. So he likes to define that as "inventing".

He used the wrong version of There it's suppose to be Their but then again my grammar sucks.

Ray Tomlinson is credited with defining and delivering the early characteristics of what we call email. Ultimately it was a team of people on the ARPANET projects for MIlitary communications. Technically a bunch of people invented it, all of them give credit to Tom. The problem is this douchbag copyrighted(patented whatever) the term Email. So he likes to define that as "inventing".
I thought it was ARPA but didn't some Russian dudes claim to have invented it?

Also if my memory serves me write wasn't the first message HE... because it crashed before they could finish HELLO?

you guys are 'KIDS'

LOL, Peter Pan must be jealous. I've been reading you long enough to go gray.

How does claiming that this guy did not invent email cause him harm that is fixed by giving him money? Is he losing royalties because of these claims? Hell, how many doctors' offices are still using his program?
The only reason I have heard of him is because of the stories about his claims. Perhaps he can start a class action lawsuit with Al Gore, the inventory of the internet, and Peter Thiel, inventor of Middle-Earth, or at least the word "palantir. "

Oh man, the Phantom? Damn, I had all but forgotten about all that drama. Reading that in the post sure brought back some memories.

You mean those other people who were suing gawker should have been hosed because they're poor?

You do know they had 5-6 active lawsuits for similar activities, and Gawker's fear was thiel would bankroll all of them.

Gawker is a piece of shit rag who defied a judges order and got the long shaft of the law. Fuck 'em. Judge also protected the other writers.

One of those lawsuits was from the same guy that is suing techdirt, over the same issue.
The only reason Gawker lost against him was because they had just lost against Hogan, so they were $35 million in debt with no money left for the other lawsuits. (which means they lost because they were poor)

Also, what do your comments say about HardOCP, when they faced the exact same situation 12 years ago?

One of those lawsuits was from the same guy that is suing techdirt, over the same issue.
The only reason Gawker lost against him was because they had just lost against Hogan, so they were $35 million in debt with no money left for the other lawsuits. (which means they lost because they were poor)

Also, what do your comments say about HardOCP, when they faced the exact same situation 12 years ago?
Sounds like the big difference since I'm not hip to all the ins and outs of Kyle's lawsuit was the judges decision about whether the material should be left up by the website in question.

I'd love to hear what Kyle has to say.

Sounds like the big difference since I'm not hip to all the ins and outs of Kyle's lawsuit was the judges decision about whether the material should be left up by the website in question.

I'd love to hear what Kyle has to say.
What is your question.

Much faster than I expected lol.

Was there an some type of injunction against you to pull the video that you ignored?

Also damn that was fast again lol
No. Infinium Labs approached me, told me to take it down, or be sued. I asked them to point out any factual inaccuracies, and they pointed out a couple of nitpick things. I corrected those and explained to Infinium that I world not take it down and they sued me.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ens-news-site-hardocp-with-defamation-lawsuit

Then they did the craziest thing."I have extended HardOCP's pledge to correct any and all possible inconsistencies or errors in our editorial entitled 'Behind the Phantom Console' personally to Timothy Roberts and Kevin Bachus of Infinium Labs," according to Bennett, "and they have yet to inform HardOCP of any information we presented as being not correct."

Wow, the memories...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/infinium-sues-hardocp/1100-6092386/

Infinium sues HardOCP
[UPDATE] Phantom console maker makes good on its threats and initiates legal action in a Florida court.
Last updated by Tor Thorsen on October 31, 2005 at 12:05PM
Comments
Subscribe for the latest gaming news

Shacknews is reporting that Infinium Labs has finally made good on its threats to hardware site HardOCP and has initiated legal action. According to the report, the makers of the yet-to-be-launched Phantom PC game console filed suit in a Florida court this week over a corporate profile the hardware site ran last fall.

As of press time, calls to Infinium president Kevin Bachus had not been returned. However, HardOCP owner Kyle Bennett confirmed the company's legal action. "Yes, [but] I have not gotten all of the paper work yet," he told GameSpot. However, what Bennett has seen does not bode well for a short legal battle. "It seems as though Infinium Labs and [CEO] Tim Roberts personally have filed suit against us," he said.

The legal maneuvering started last month when Infinium sent HardOCP a letter saying they would sue the site for defamation if it did not retract the article, which painted a less-than-flattering portrait of several executives. HardOCP promptly refused, then filed a preemptive suit in a Texas court against Infinium.

GameSpot will have more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.

BlaHAHAHAH! This news articles backs up what I said about corrections. Those nitpick bullshit.

HardOCP hangs tough
Under threat of imminent legal action, the hardware site rejects demands to pull its profile of Infinium executives.
Last updated by Curt Feldman and Tor Thorsen on March 3, 2004 at 9:48AM
Comments
Subscribe for the latest gaming news

Today, Infinium Labs hoped the big news would be its announcement that a functional Phantom console will be on display at this year's E3.

However, the hardware manufacturer has been getting attention of a decidedly less positive sort, thanks to its legal moves against hardware site HardOCP.

After sharing a notice it had received from Infinium 10 days ago, today HardOCP posted a new letter, which threatened legal action unless it takes down and publicly retracts its 2003 profile of Infinium cofounder Tim Roberts. In particular, the letter singled out 18 items it called "false and defamatory." "I look forward to a removal (sic) of the September 17, 2003 article and the retraction of the article," wrote Infinum attorney James E. Aker. "Otherwise, you can expect a lawsuit."

Though the clock is ticking--the letter gives a March 8, 2004, deadline for the retraction--HardOCP editor Kyle Bennett stated he had no intention of acquiescing to Infinium's demands. "After hours of consideration," Bennett said, "out of the 18 items noted [by Infinium lawyers as being inaccurate] we have found 5 that were in need of addressing."

However, Bennett was adamant about the original article's veracity. "To put it succinctly," he wrote on his site, "none of the changes...do anything to change my thoughts about Infinium Labs or change the overall content of our article in our opinion as it was published at the time." He also leveled his own counteraccusations against Infinium. "The odd thing to me about the above letter is that it continually refers to statements we never made and innuendos that are nonexistent in our article," wrote Bennett. "In fact, after reading the letter I had to wonder if we were actually referencing the same document."

Honestly, I can't believe that this many of those old page are still online.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...d--draw-back-from-hardocp-before-its-too-late

And Charlie summed it all up before it began...

LAST WEEK the headlines were screaming that Kyle Bennett of HardOCP was suing Infinium Labs. Very few people know what's happening, and what lead up to this event. Lets look at it, from the beginning.

Infinium claims it is making a console called the Phantom, and the first reference I saw to that came in this CNN article. It is very light on details, and puts the time of the Phantom "coming out" as "a few weeks ago", call it around August 1, 2003 give or take a bit.

The next big story about the Phantom and Infinium is on HardOCP, here. Kyle Bennett summarises what information evidence he can find, clearly differentiating the internal commentary and discussion from what he can dig up and quote. At the end, there is a section called "Our Thoughts & Opinions", which I take it means this is where he starts to speculate based on the evidence he has gathered.

About six months later, HardOCP filed two different sets of letters from two different firms of lawyers, delivered on the same day, here. They basically say that after about half a year, we think the story is wrong. If you take it down, we won't sue you. Pretty standard stuff so far.

Kyle responds with: "I have extended HardOCP.com's pledge to correct any and all possible inconsistencies or errors in our editorial entitled, "Behind the Phantom Console" personally to Timothy Roberts and Kevin Bachus of Infinium Labs and they have yet to inform HardOCP.com of any information we presented as being not correct". So far, so good. It goes on to say that he has been asking the Infinium folk for the same info since the day the article was published. In my opinion, this was, and is a more than reasonable request.

Kevin Bachus, that X-Xbox POS is here in Dallas. I just sent him a LinkedIn request. He manages game machines for Dave & Busters now.

Back