Lawsuit Filed Against CenturyLink and DirecTV for Exposing Customer Data

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
According to a lawsuit filed Monday, once again our corporate overlords aren't properly protecting customer data. This time it's CenturyLink and DirecTV that are the accused parties. According to the claimant, he searched the internet for his phone number and ran across a bill for a CenturyLink/DirecTV bundle he was subscribed to and it had lots of information that should not have been out on the internet. Also, he found information for other subscribers. To top things off he contacted CenturyLink and they admitted the stuff was publicly available. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick and tired of these companies pulling this garbage and getting nothing but a slap on the wrist. This needs to stop now. Thanks cageymaru.

Jantos’ team asked for “punitive damages” and “liquidated damages computed at the rate of $100 a day for each violation.” The suit alleges that CenturyLink and DirecTV are in violation of Section 338 of the Communications Act, which says satellite carriers can’t disclose customer information without written consent and must take steps to protect customer information from being accessed by others.

I'm curious what personal information was found. If it's name, phone number (landline), address, that can be found through numerous legal tax record ways. I don't see how ISP's/TV providers can be compared completely to the Cambridge leak which has vastly more (albeit voluntarily entered) data on a person. Look at Zillow for example, look up an address, click the link for data sources or tax information and boom you're at the county assessor page with your name, tax info, address and so on. This is more than enough data to dig deeper on the web to find out more.

I'm more surprised that Qwest/DTV want to share this data. Its almost like giving their competitors a slimmed down list of people to target advertise to.

My wife is always worried that when in public anyone is sight is looking as she fills out a check, bank paperwork or some such. I tell her sure it's a possibility, but the majority of identity theft happens from stolen mail, stolen paperwork from cars, or various details found on the net. About a year ago I had her sit down as I googled her, rattled and angry wasn't quite the words for her feelings. I explained to her, legal or not, right or not, most info is out there if you know where to look.

I'm curious what personal information was found. If it's name, phone number (landline), address, that can be found through numerous legal tax record ways. I don't see how ISP's/TV providers can be compared completely to the Cambridge leak which has vastly more (albeit voluntarily entered) data on a person. Look at Zillow for example, look up an address, click the link for data sources or tax information and boom you're at the county assessor page with your name, tax info, address and so on. This is more than enough data to dig deeper on the web to find out more.

I'm more surprised that Qwest/DTV want to share this data. Its almost like giving their competitors a slimmed down list of people to target advertise to.

trust me it isn't hard to market to CenturyLink customers. You let one person know you have overbuilt centurylink and the rest will come running.

Back