Lawsuit Claims School’s Wi-Fi Making Child Sick

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is the school's wi-fi really making these kids sick or is this a case of precious snowflake syndrome?

The Worcester Telegram & Gazette reports that the unidentified plaintiffs have filed a lawsuit against the Fay School in Southboro. The parents say their 12-year-old son has “Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Syndrome” and has suffered headaches, nosebleeds and nausea since the school activated a stronger wireless signal in 2013.

Super easy to prove. Put the kid in a shielded room and have him tell them when or if they turn on a device. If they can't, then is pure crap as most of us suspect.

I thought Wi-Fi used radio.

Radio is radio waves, not electromagnetic pulses.

2nd, there is no such thing as electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome. Its been debunked every single fucking time.

There is to such a thing when you want money the easy way. RF is not electromagnetic as stated. Also how does this affect the child at home with many wifi signals all around from other neighbors or shopping in a store etc?

Where do I get a WiFi router like that? Keep kids off my lawn and hopefully great WiFi signal.

Uh...guys....

RF/WIFI/light/microwave/Hulk making Gamma rays...etc.....all part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

C'mon! This is [H], we all should know that already.

Uh...guys....

RF/WIFI/light/microwave/Hulk making Gamma rays...etc.....all part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

You expect too much, I've drastically lowered my expectations of the members here in the past year

Such statements from users in the [H]ardforum of all places...

"Radio waves have the longest wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum."

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/kids/imagers/ems/radio.html

I love [H], but it sure as shit isn't Ars... The crowd as Ars tend to be more science versed but are by and large whiny shits, especially after the Conde Nast (derrrp) acquisition.. The crowd here seems less science versed overall but is a far more rational crowd. I can only take so much Ars outside of their forums.

Hell, America runs on "precious snowflake syndrome" now. If one "special" person doesn't like something, 300 million of the rest of us have to change. Anyone up for a "Dukes of Hazzard" marathon? ;)

This kid probably goes to a doctors office where everyone there is running around with iPads and other wireless devices. Not to mention the waiting area probably has free wifi too...

So cell towers are okay? What about microwave oven emissions? Has a doctor evaluated this, because it sounds more like a serious problem that they are just trying to blame on something else, which the child could pay dearly for.

Also isn't suing the school for his sensitivity to EM emissions kind of like suing trojan for a latex allergy? Probably a bad analogy but if he really has this condition he needs removed from the cause sooner than trying to change the school. Every student likely has a cell or ipod in their pocket running on the same bands so it isn't the schools router, i can promise that.

Likely to get thrown out anyways, seen several of these fall apart so far.

Wonder how the parents discovered it was the wireless signal? It could be the dust and mold left behind from the WAP installation process. Or the Principal's or Mom's new perfume. Or the new paint in the cafeteria. Or the new wondrous Obama lunch. Or the new contract for Pest Control in the school, with new and improved bug killers.

Have the parents banned all wireless from their own home?

Radio waves are disturbations of the electromagnetic field existing both naturally and generated. The disturbations are of certain parameters which have quantifiable parameters like pusle time, pulse frequency. These are known to both the sender and the receiver (to recognize the intended signal from among the chasm of noise. Some of those parameters are shifted by a certain offset within an agreed to range to convey information.

Oh so the wifi that's at home, or their neighbors house, or outside when they kid is playing... they don't have any effect on precious little snowflake? Its ONLY the schools wifi huh?

The fact they are getting attention over this scam is pretty sad. Shitty parents want a quick payday, that's all this is.

EHS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity) is a spurious correlation drawn by some individuals between a wide range of symptoms and the presumed cause of 'EM radiation'. Cellular towers are most often marked as being 'responsible'.

Despite all this, there is at this point not a single piece of evidence which can coherently support this correlation, let alone show any kind of causality. We know the effects of EM radiation, we have studied it and we cannot show under controlled circumstances that for example a GSM or UMTS signal (or mains power) affects cells or the body as a whole in a negative manner.

One can easily draw parallels with things like vaccinations and nuclear power, whereby the actual topic is both hard to understand to observe for the average person, making it a rich feeding ground for both misinformation and unscrupulous individuals looking to benefit from this ignorance.

With EHS my first thought is that until other environmental effects as well as plain hysteria and placebo effect have been eliminated, it's not a correlation one should take very seriously.

EHS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity) is a spurious correlation drawn by some individuals between a wide range of symptoms and the presumed cause of 'EM radiation'. Cellular towers are most often marked as being 'responsible'.

Despite all this, there is at this point not a single piece of evidence which can coherently support this correlation, let alone show any kind of causality. We know the effects of EM radiation, we have studied it and we cannot show under controlled circumstances that for example a GSM or UMTS signal (or mains power) affects cells or the body as a whole in a negative manner.

One can easily draw parallels with things like vaccinations and nuclear power, whereby the actual topic is both hard to understand to observe for the average person, making it a rich feeding ground for both misinformation and unscrupulous individuals looking to benefit from this ignorance.

With EHS my first thought is that until other environmental effects as well as plain hysteria and placebo effect have been eliminated, it's not a correlation one should take very seriously.

But, but.... vaccines and toxins and science!!!!

Anyone else here suffer the same problem I have? I get a headache when my internet goes down and start to drink excessively.

Anyone else here suffer the same problem I have? I get a headache when my internet goes down and start to drink excessively.

no i just tend to yell profanities into the phone at the underpaid call center employee who unfortunately answered my call

no i just tend to yell profanities into the phone at the underpaid call center employee who unfortunately answered my call

Sir please calm down and log into our website, the site that is on the web, to report the outage of your internet. (spoken in stereotypical support staff voice)

But, but.... vaccines and toxins and science!!!!

Here, try some all-natural, organic cyanide-based homeopathic drops. Guaranteed to cure you of all that money that is weighing you down, while giving you absolutely nothing back in return ;)

I thought Wi-Fi used radio.

2nd, there is no such thing as electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome. Its been debunked every single fucking time.

Pulses no, but radio is definitely electromagnetic radiation, as is light, x-rays, microwaves, nuclear radiation, and any number of different categories.

SOME of them can be quite harmful if powerful enough, most of them are rather benign.

So cell towers are okay? What about microwave oven emissions? Has a doctor evaluated this, because it sounds more like a serious problem that they are just trying to blame on something else, which the child could pay dearly for.

Also isn't suing the school for his sensitivity to EM emissions kind of like suing trojan for a latex allergy? Probably a bad analogy but if he really has this condition he needs removed from the cause sooner than trying to change the school. Every student likely has a cell or ipod in their pocket running on the same bands so it isn't the schools router, i can promise that.

Likely to get thrown out anyways, seen several of these fall apart so far.

Someone should sue Trojan for not forcing this kid's father to wear one...

Every study that I've read has concluded that the electromagnetic radiation from our devices is non-ionizing. It doesn't react with living tissue, it simply passes through or around us (or more specifically, it doesn't react with the molecules that make up living tissue).

I don't know where that part of Massachusetts is, presumably a location where parents have the kind of money to hire lawyers over silly shit like this... similar parents who think that vaccines cause autism, and that little Johnny is not happy because EM waves are making him sad?

So, they're sensitive to Wi-Fi, but not cordless phones, cellphones, radio, television, satellite signals ore any other sort of radio signals? That's some mighty convenient illness.

Seriously, they're got to be crazy to think they can win. No one has ever successfully proven that anyway can even be sensitive to Wi-Fi. Without supporting peer-reviewed data they don't have any case at all, especially since I'm personally aware of several studies that prove the exact opposite of what they're claiming.

I don't know where that part of Massachusetts is, presumably a location where parents have the kind of money to hire lawyers over silly shit like this... similar parents who think that vaccines cause autism, and that little Johnny is not happy because EM waves are making him sad?

It's a small (less than 10,000) wealthy and predominantly white town about an hours drive without traffic west of Boston, near Worcester.

I live in the Boston area and had never heard of it until this story. I had to look it up.

Crazies like this live everywhere, and fortunately their ilk are not representative of MA residents overall, who tend to be more receptive to scientific argumebts than the U.S. population on average.

I would have expected this out of California. It's a little weird for it to be so close to home. That being said, Jenny McCarthy lives in mass too, right?

God, they are invading...

That's the nice thing about smartphones ... I just switch to LTE and monitor for internet restoration and do some surfing ... since it is also a hotspot I can use my tablet or laptop ... so no headache ... although prior to getting the new data plan with hot spot I would just curl up in a fetal position and hit refresh repeatedly until my internet was restored :D

I studied Advanced Physics in the UK ( 92-94 ) so I'm just going to make this brief and mention that France recently banned wi-fi in daycare. They wanted to do a blanket ban on all schools but had to weaken the bill, to appease the naysayers ( and people who never studied Advanced Physics on [H] ):

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=france bans wifi

If you want to learn about Microwave weaponry, check out Barrie Trower on Youtube & Facebook:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=barry trower

https://www.facebook.com/BarrieTrower?fref=ts

On Barrie Trower's Facebook page, a few months ago, he mentioned that a city in Germany banned Wi-Fi. I thought it was Hamburg, Germany but I can't find anything on Google and I can't really be bothered to find links but I accidentally found interesting links about bans in Canada that I didn't know about:

http://emrabc.ca/?page_id=1323

Here in Karlsruhe, Germany, we are blanketing the city with city-wide free WiFi. Haven't heard anyone whine about that yet :D

Well controlled and conducted double-blind studies have shown that symptoms were not correlated with EMF exposure.

Source

So, yeah. As posted above, it may be mold or some environmental issue, but I don't think it is the WIFI in the building.

Uh...guys....

:D Glad someone said it.

How much power would need to be used to get any effects? Probably a ton more than any licensed wi-fi antenna. I've run 10 watts (not wifi antenna) with a ham radio, and felt nothing. If he is that sensitive, send him to Xavier's School for Gifted Children.

I studied Advanced Physics in the UK ( 92-94 ) so I'm just going to make this brief and mention that France recently banned wi-fi in daycare. They wanted to do a blanket ban on all schools but had to weaken the bill, to appease the naysayers ( and people who never studied Advanced Physics on [H] ):

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=france bans wifi

If you want to learn about Microwave weaponry, check out Barrie Trower on Youtube & Facebook:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=barry trower

https://www.facebook.com/BarrieTrower?fref=ts

On Barrie Trower's Facebook page, a few months ago, he mentioned that a city in Germany banned Wi-Fi. I thought it was Hamburg, Germany but I can't find anything on Google and I can't really be bothered to find links but I accidentally found interesting links about bans in Canada that I didn't know about:

http://emrabc.ca/?page_id=1323
It's true. Some people will believe all kinds of stupid things.

If WIFI came out 50 years ago it would have been associated with nose bleeds. Next will be getting rid of lead pencils.

Back