Lawmaker Demands DHS Cease Monitoring of Social Media

HardOCP News

[H] News
Politician: I demand that the Department of Homeland security cease monitoring blogs and social media sites! DHS: Sure, we'll get right on that. :rolleyes:

Speaking at a Homeland Security subcommittee hearing, the California lawmaker said she was “outraged” that the agency has hired a contractor to review a variety of social networking sites, including Facebook and Twitter, and that General Dynamics is being tasked with reviewing news sources, blogs and their bylines for all types of articles, including those containing anti-American sentiment and reaction to policy proposals.

The only thing Anti-American here is the DHS.
The DHS is the worst department ever created by the US Government.
Its staffed by idiots and run by closet Nazi's.

Sad but, this lady is pissing in the wind.

The only thing Anti-American here is the DHS.
The DHS is the worst department ever created by the US Government.
Its staffed by idiots and run by closet Nazi's.

Don't forget the TSA.

Sad but, this lady is pissing in the wind.

Don't forget the TSA.

The TSA is organized under the DHS. Even aside from the fact that many DHS policies are constitutionally questionable to say the least, have we noted the fact that with their massively bloated budget we have far more proof of corruption and incompetence than we have of any sort of real terrorist plot foiled or frankly any other indication that they have made us more "secure"?

The FBI have certainly managed to entrap plenty of idiots after hand-feeding them on radicalism and giving their the plans, training, and (fake) materials, but DHS itself has done exactly one thing which has actually made us safer.

What is that one thing? Reinforced cockpit doors on airplanes. Given that terrorism was and is a statistically insignificant threat in the west, they may have saved at most a few hundred lives in this way.

We're getting ripped off by charlatans and neo-fascists is what is going on here.

Does DHS bother with relevant things like border security or are they more focused on patriotic citizens?

Dear elected public officials: when we finally come for you, please remember that the Nuremberg defense of 'I was only doing my job and following orders' just aint gonna cut it.

The FBI have certainly managed to entrap plenty of idiots after hand-feeding them on radicalism and giving their the plans, training, and (fake) materials, but DHS itself has done exactly one thing which has actually made us safer.

This. The only "terror" plots these fools can thwart are the ones they create.

Gotta keep the sheeple scared. Gotta keep them buying. Gotta keep them throwing away their rights willingly.

The TSA is organized under the DHS. Even aside from the fact that many DHS policies are constitutionally questionable to say the least, have we noted the fact that with their massively bloated budget we have far more proof of corruption and incompetence than we have of any sort of real terrorist plot foiled or frankly any other indication that they have made us more "secure"?

What is that one thing? Reinforced cockpit doors on airplanes. Given that terrorism was and is a statistically insignificant threat in the west, they may have saved at most a few hundred lives in this way.

We're getting ripped off by charlatans and neo-fascists is what is going on here.

but the question is: why does no politician seem to dare to express it like quoted above? there's maybe ron paul and he has plenty of other weird ideas, but from what i understand it's that the moment the impression of a constantly looming terrorist threat is toned down by just a little bit you might as well end your political career because you're not a patriot, you support radical islamists and you hate the USA because you don't want to protect it.

probably more people die from slipping in their shower than there are deaths by terrorism in any country except the most unstable ones like iraq. of course it's always good to think about protecting yourself, but the threat of terrorism is the price you pay for the freedom you enjoy in a democracy. and i gladly pay that price. the DHS, the patriot act, the insane checks on airports are way out of proportion. invest that money in education, infrastructure and research - that adds a lot more benefit to the society.

i'm not a citicen of the US, I live in Europe. i don't intend to offend anyone in the US. but i just don't get why there's not more opposition from the general public to such institutions and legistlation and there must be at least one politician somewhere who openly speaks about the waste of money for the sake of protection from terrorism.

but the question is: why does no politician seem to dare to express it like quoted above? there's maybe ron paul and he has plenty of other weird ideas, but from what i understand it's that the moment the impression of a constantly looming terrorist threat is toned down by just a little bit you might as well end your political career because you're not a patriot, you support radical islamists and you hate the USA because you don't want to protect it.

probably more people die from slipping in their shower than there are deaths by terrorism in any country except the most unstable ones like iraq. of course it's always good to think about protecting yourself, but the threat of terrorism is the price you pay for the freedom you enjoy in a democracy. and i gladly pay that price. the DHS, the patriot act, the insane checks on airports are way out of proportion. invest that money in education, infrastructure and research - that adds a lot more benefit to the society.

i'm not a citicen of the US, I live in Europe. i don't intend to offend anyone in the US. but i just don't get why there's not more opposition from the general public to such institutions and legistlation and there must be at least one politician somewhere who openly speaks about the waste of money for the sake of protection from terrorism.

There are others, Dennis Kucinich, Russ Feingold, etc. Check them out on YT.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow! Wait until she finds out about the NSA monitoring her email, sms, and IM!!! :eek:

Dear elected public officials: when we finally come for you, please remember that the Nuremberg defense of 'I was only doing my job and following orders' just aint gonna cut it.

oRJG9.gif

Good example of how paranoid bureaucrats in our government really are. Really people, you cannot guarantee safety, and these gov schmucks can only get away with this kind of behavior as long as we let them.

Back