LawGeex AI Beats 20 Top Lawyers

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a study published by Lawgeex, "20 experienced US-trained lawyers" were bested by the LawGeex Artificial Intelligence algorithm. The robo lawyer achieved a 94% accuracy rate looking for issues in 5 separate Non Disclosure Agreements, matching the best human lawyer's score of 94% and beating the average of 85%. It took the AI 26 seconds to review all 5 NDAs, while a single lawyer needed an average of 92 minutes to do the same thing. There have been talks about machine learning algorithms replacing lawyers in specific lines of work, and it seems that Lawgeex intends to make those possibilities a reality.

The 40-page study details how AI has overtaken top lawyers for the first time in accurately spotting risks in everyday business contracts.

Every day business contracts. Whatever. When it's important, when it's complex - you'll be needing a man, not a machine.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Uh oh something understood what the fuck they were actually trying to say, sounds like lawyers need to step up their legalese game.

We are doomed. They made huge strides in the past few years in AI development. Nvidia is going to become Cyberdyne.

If lawyers get replaced with AI, we will run out of politicians.

Wait.... maybe that is a good thing!

Last edited:
wait... reading this. it just read an NDA and looked for errors and dangerous keywords? thats not that impressive... i mean microsoft word can technically "find errors." sometimes AI does something really cool, and other times it is just acting as a buzzword. in this case its a buzzword.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
wait... reading this. it just read an NDA and looked for errors and dangerous keywords? thats not that impressive... i mean microsoft word can technically "find errors." sometimes AI does something really cool, and other times it is just acting as a buzzword. in this case its a buzzword.

The point is that the AI had the same accuracy as the best lawyer, but did it 212 times faster.

That's really gonna hurt those that are less wealthy, who don't have access to that kind of stuff (it's bad enough with the cost of lawyers in real life; this will just make it worse).

That's really gonna hurt those that are less wealthy, who don't have access to that kind of stuff (it's bad enough with the cost of lawyers in real life; this will just make it worse).
I don't follow your logic. IMO it'll greatly improve access for lots of people. How often do the "less-wealthy" need a lawyer for anything more than basic paperwork (trusts, wills, NDAs, etc.)

Wonder how long before Company A hires an AI lawyer with the idea of creating a contract that fools Company B's AI lawyer into accepting the contract while still including the items Company B would normally find objectionable?

I don't follow your logic. IMO it'll greatly improve access for lots of people. How often do the "less-wealthy" need a lawyer for anything more than basic paperwork (trusts, wills, NDAs, etc.)

Yup. Like most things, depends on how it's applied (and monetized).

The "better AI" will cost more; it's really quite simple. Nothing is truly for free (and the "free AI" may well be datamining all the info you provide it, as well).

The "better AI" will cost more; it's really quite simple. Nothing is truly for free (and the "free AI" may well be datamining all the info you provide it, as well).
No doubt, but right now a "better" lawyer costs more, and I'd wager that having a NDA reviewed by a "great" ai will cost pennies on the dollar when compared to how much you'd spend for a human lawyer to review it today.

The point is that the AI had the same accuracy as the best lawyer, but did it 212 times faster.

True, but more billable hours is the foundation of the legal system - if this AI wants to make senior partner, it better learn to slow down and refine its golf swing.

i believe the poor have higher rates of both divorce and being targeted by police... id say they could use a lawyer for a whole lot more than basic paperwork but the cost is so obviously prohibitive.

i believe the poor have higher rates of both divorce and being targeted by police... id say they could use a lawyer for a whole lot more than basic paperwork but the cost is so obviously prohibitive.
And an AI that can handle the basic paperwork tasks in a fraction of the time and for less money is going to make divorce lawyers and criminal defense lawyers less accessible to poor people how exactly?

Muahaha I have been telling people this day was going to come...

The problem with law today, is there is far too much previous legal precedent for an individual or even a law firm to dig through without drawing out the legal process for years. An AI can sort through that in a minute or two and find 20 other precedents in multiple states making your case look like a no brainer.

I am not surprised. That field requires a lot of analytical thinking and computers excel at it. Plus this is purely analytical. No emotions or vendettas to cloud its judgment.

Meh. Practice of law is as much art as analytics. We are a supremely long way away from "AI" being at a competitive level.

I see it like IBM's Watson delivering medical diagnoses. It's fast, and it's accurate, but it's not infallible so a human reviews the results and gives the OK or not. In the end it'll end up being a huge time and cost saver.

However, AI coming for white collar jobs will have a similar impact on the economy as automation had on blue collar jobs.

the only good thing which might occur is that someone would host a consumer-ready version of this on the net, so we can vet all our contracts.

Back