Law Professor Files Complaint over Women-Only "Wonder Woman" Showing

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
An Albany Law School professor is trying to shut down women-only screenings of Wonder Woman because it “rubbed him the wrong way.” While some groups celebrated, others were furious when the Alamo Drafthouse announced this event, calling it discriminatory. Technically, it does seem to be illegal: “Austin city code bans a public accommodation from limiting its service or goods on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, or other factors.”

For one night: “No Guys Allowed.” That’s been the message of a local Alamo Drafthouse Cinema with plans to host two “Wonder Woman” screenings next week for only women or those who identify as such. The feminist internet celebrated. The bro internet was furious. The theater gained attention for its smart-aleck responses to Facebook anger. Mayor Steve Adler drew calls to run for president for his witty public response to a man complaining about the promotion. But is the Drafthouse plan legal? Grumblings over the screenings are beginning to turn into complaints that the theater might be violating the city’s equality laws.

Everyone lighten up. Guys have nights out, girls have nights out. It's fine!

Guys do have nights out... but they don't physically block or keep girls from entering a place they are otherwise allowed to be in.

this is the kind of woman thinking that pisses me off too... if "equality" really is their end goal, you wouldn't pull shit like this. You know how fast a "men only" showing of this or that would fly? I'd love to see what would happen if they tried to stop a dude from walking into see that theater, that's basically an instant lawsuit right there if they physically try and stop you from entering "because you are a man", a group vocal about gender/empowerment/discrimination has no problem pulling a gender discrimination card themselves, ironically funny.

I have nothing against them wanting to do it... but you know how fast you'd get protests and law suits if guys setup and blocked out women from coming into a guys only night theater? If the movie really does show strong female leadership and general badassery, you'd figured they'd want everyone to see it right?

Such heroes, standing up for equality no matter how unpopular it is!

Of course, one has to wonder why one night only rubs them so wrong, given that there are mens-only golf clubs throughout Texas and have been for a long time. But of course, they're not misogynist, they're just trying to apply "justice" equally. (See: Preston Trail Golf Club, Lochinvar Golf Club)

Equality for all means exactly that, for all. Simply put its illegal, but so is speeding and people do that all the time.

If I was going to take my wife to the movie theater at that time and found out when I got there I was not allowed to see the movie because I am a man I would flip. That's ridiculous.

But as a special event type deal this is a different story. Theaters do all sorts of special events, like renting out a theater for a birthday party. You don't expect some random person to show up in a theater you rent out because they want to see the movie too. So in the end I really think this is a silly issue. Yes it's illegal, but does it really matter? I don't think so. Just go to a different theater or watch the movie at a different showing.

Now if this theater said going forward men were never allowed in this would be a different issue.

Equality for all means exactly that, for all. Simply put its illegal, but so is speeding and people do that all the time.

If I was going to take my wife to the movie theater at that time and found out when I got there I was not allowed to see the movie because I am a man I would flip. That's ridiculous.

But as a special event type deal this is a different story. Theaters do all sorts of special events, like renting out a theater for a birthday party. You don't expect some random person to show up in a theater you rent out because they want to see the movie too. So in the end I really think this is a silly issue. Yes it's illegal, but does it really matter? I don't think so. Just go to a different theater or watch the movie at a different showing.

Now if this theater said going forward men were never allowed in this would be a different issue.

If a movie theater tried to hold a men's only screening of a movie, the feminists would have their panties in a twist and every lawyer from Texas to Alaska would be filing lawsuits. SJWs and their double standards are the reason why we have the orange fuckface as president.

SJWs and their double standards are the reason why we have the orange fuckface as president.

SJWs are not the ones who voted for him so, no.

Back on-topic...I have zero problem with this. Though I do love to read the hilarious and sad rants by MRAs about how their "rights" are being violated.

Guys do have nights out... but they don't physically block or keep girls from entering a place they are otherwise allowed to be in.

this is the kind of woman thinking that pisses me off too... if "equality" really is their end goal, you wouldn't pull shit like this. You know how fast a "men only" showing of this or that would fly? I'd love to see what would happen if they tried to stop a dude from walking into see that theater, that's basically an instant lawsuit right there if they physically try and stop you from entering "because you are a man", a group vocal about gender/empowerment/discrimination has no problem pulling a gender discrimination card themselves, ironically funny.

I have nothing against them wanting to do it... but you know how fast you'd get protests and law suits if guys setup and blocked out women from coming into a guys only night theater? If the movie really does show strong female leadership and general badassery, you'd figured they'd want everyone to see it right?

As long as this is allowed for guys too, I'm fine with it. I actually wish they still had more same sex schools in the US, or more same sex boarding schools. Might be better for some people.

SJWs are not the ones who voted for him so, no.

Back on-topic...I have zero problem with this. Though I do love to read the hilarious and sad rants by MRAs about how their "rights" are being violated.

No SJWs didn't vote for him but their antics drove other people TO vote for him.

I swear, the left has been infected by a stupidity virus.

Anyone offended by a women's only showing of a film needs their head examined.

So you would be fine with a white only screening? Or black only, or latino only etc? I agree it's minor issue but in this day and age you can't have it both ways. SJW have seen to that, so this kind of reaction should have been expected. I will not be surprised when a large group of men show up at the theater trying to get in and it turns into a shit show.

Law professor is a troll. Hopefully he can spend some time in the pokey with all his male friends for bringing up a frivolous lawsuit.

I could not care less if they have a women's only screening. More power to them. They aren't handing out magic lassos to the audience. We should be ok.

No SJWs didn't vote for him but their antics drove other people TO vote for him.

I swear, the left has been infected by a stupidity virus.

LOL...I see this argument far too often. No one forced those people to vote the way they did, they have only themselves to blame. Trying to pass the blame to "the left" or "SJWs" is just projection of shame.

Double standards at it's finest.
No one would ever run a guys only night as a promotion, just because it sounds like a sausage fest and that isn't a selling point for men. The fact that girls only is a promotion tactic shows you the actual social construct if you care to think about why a women would want that.

Plenty of establishments run out of exclusion and particular to men only they just don't advertise it, just call someone a member and not let the place open to the public and shove the word lodge on it somewhere.

Its discimitation. Even more if the are no lesbians, gay, transgender, transexual, etc allowed either.

The problem would be if only women could see the movie. I'd be upset by that. But if there are enough mixed-screenings for all of us to be able to see the movie, a couple of women-only screenings don't really affect anyone.

I was surprised that the movie was actually pretty good. It felt very, very Marvel. The only weak part was Gal Gadot. Don't get me wrong, her one facial expression if very good, full of meaning and emotion... but it's just one.

No need to tuck anything - I'm sure they allow "chicks w/ dicks", right?

What if I identify as a female attack helicopter?

iu

The same people that praise this "Women's Only Screening" complain about people not wanting to bake cakes for others. It's the same thing. Granted, one is based around bigotry and just being an asshole, but it's still in the same category. The issue isn't whether you agree with one act and disavow the other. Though, that makes you a hypocrite. It's that both are one and the same in the realm of individual rights. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Either none of it is okay, or all of it is allowed.

Yes, this screening is incredibly harmless. However, this is also the point I think the people who are "complaining" are trying to make. These types of harmless events expose the stupidity of our laws.

I think the theater should be allowed to hold these events. However, the law isn't on their side. They would need to change it.

Reactions: Tsumi
like this
Don't some bars still have ladies night discounts?
They could just make the movie tickets $100 with a 90% discount for ladies.

Frankly if it was only an occasional thing, I'd have no problem with lady's night and lad's night. Nor do I have a problem with smoking-areas that are walled off from non-smoking areas. Let people with like interests congregate. It's a social/cultural thing not a denial of service if it swings both ways.

Though there's still a place for denial of services. I don't think single adults should be welcome in a kid's only playground, or have a problem with separate men/women changing rooms.

Don't some bars still have ladies night discounts?
They could just make the movie tickets $100 with a 90% discount for ladies.

Frankly if it was only an occasional thing, I'd have no problem with lady's night and lad's night. Nor do I have a problem with smoking-areas that are walled off from non-smoking areas. Let people with like interests congregate. It's a social/cultural thing not a denial of service if it swings both ways.

Though there's still a place for denial of services. I don't think single adults should be welcome in a kid's only playground, or have a problem with separate men/women changing rooms.

So unmarried people with kids or baby sitters shouldn't be allowed at a playground? What about the ice cream man if he is unmarried?

Such heroes, standing up for equality no matter how unpopular it is!

Of course, one has to wonder why one night only rubs them so wrong, given that there are mens-only golf clubs throughout Texas and have been for a long time. But of course, they're not misogynist, they're just trying to apply "justice" equally. (See: Preston Trail Golf Club, Lochinvar Golf Club)
I'm guessing the key word there is "club". Private establishments are just that, private. Laws concerning discrimination only apply to public places. Even private schools can be all men or all women, where public schools (or private schools partially funded by the government) cannot.

I'm so afraid of talking in public now a day, 'cuz it may trigger some idiots ...

I'm guessing the key word there is "club". Private establishments are just that, private. Laws concerning discrimination only apply to public places. Even private schools can be all men or all women, where public schools (or private schools partially funded by the government) cannot.
I don't think sex is under a protected class for that provision, because irrc the laws in the US concern sex were drafted around discrimination against women and were worded as such. But no one likes playing internet lawyer and looking up US Codes with 12 references attached for further information concerning other codes really law needs to be formatted and condensed.

A theatre is inherently private.. so..

A theatre is inherently private.. so..
In the US they're not. Here, if you run a business where the public can enter your establishment, you're agreeing to do business with anybody and everybody so long as they're not causing a disruption of some kind (or worse). Had someone rented the entire theater, that would be a different story, but this was put on by theater management, and that's illegal.

If people were required to sign up to be able to go in and see a movie, then it would be private and they could do whatever the hell they want. I've heard of places getting around the no smoking laws this way - they had people sign their name to "join" to enter bars where you can smoke because they become private at that point (I'm guessing that didn't last long though because they weren't even verifying the names or anything).

I see no problem with Women only screenings as long as we can have men only screenings; but that is the real issue we couldn't. The problem is that if women fight to be included in male only organizations they are treated like heroes who are shattering the glass ceiling and fighting oppression. But when men try to force their way in to female only groups they are treated as jerks who are just trying to ruin things for the women. It's the same with ethnic based organization's, at the university I attended we had a middle eastern student's organization an Asian student organization and an African American student organization that was actually called black pride.

But holy shit if you had tried to start a white pride group or a European cultural heritage society good fucking luck. Now of course someone will come in here and say that it is some how different to have a or trot out the old all organizations are white pride organizations or every day is European/men's history day, but the reality is that white Europeans have a unique cultural heritage that we cannot openly celebrate without be shouted down as racists; and men sometimes want to have their own things just like women do. only one group of people "white men" are treated like monsters for wanting to be proud of who they are and frankly that is what people like this attorney are railing against.

I support him in showing how double standard many that are around what is portayed as "social victims"

Reactions: HoffY
like this
Anyone offended by a women's only showing of a film needs their head examined.

I'm a progressive liberal, and this event is offensive. It's the same as any other sexist or racist event, except this time we just laugh it off because it's women? BLM is off the walls retarded when they try to chase out white folks from their protests, clubs got hit with the nono stick for having "girls nights," blacks don't have to sit at the back of the bus anymore...

If the event is being run by a business that serves the public, it should respect the law in this regard.

Not offended by the fact it's women only... I'm offended because if I tried to do the same thing I'd get run out of town called sexiest pig and whatever other phrases they use.
I doubt anyone gives a flying fuck if you want to have a men's only screening of Wonder Woman where you can sit around in your twisted up panties steaming that no one is protesting your brilliant demonstration of equality.

I doubt anyone gives a flying fuck if you want to have a men's only screening of Wonder Woman where you can sit around in your twisted up panties steaming that no one is protesting your brilliant demonstration of equality.

I believe you missed an /s in there- or have lost one too many brain cells on the way, if you believe that attempting to hold such an event wouldn't result in riots.

^
|

I lol'ed.:p

The whole thing reminds me of the RAH quote on women's rights:

“Whenever women have insisted on absolute equality with men, they have invariably wound up with the dirty end of the stick. What they are and what they can do makes them superior to men, and their proper tactic is to demand special privileges, all the traffic will bear. They should never settle merely for equality. For women, "equality" is a disaster.”

―Robert A. Heinlein

Back