Law & Order GamerGate Episode Aired Last Night

HardOCP News

[H] News
In case you missed it, last night's episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit did the whole "GamerGate" thing and it was as terrible as you might have imagined.

Punjabi is doxxed, swatted and receives death and rape threats surrounding an event where she is to speak publicly. A female employee of hers is harassed and assaulted at a games convention.

Popcorn time. I still watch this show, I like the formula and this season they've actually had a lot of source material to use. From Donald Sterling to the NFL domestic violence issues to now this.

The cases always end up escalating in a ridiculous fashion. Lazy writing IMO.

It's Law & Order: SVU, so someone tell me, does it have the obligatory, "vaginal tearing" line in the episode somewhere? It always does.

I believe the punch line for this episode is when Ice-T said, "knowing the difference between reality and games"
Basically this saying to everybody, this is fictional TV show.

Basically this saying to everybody, this is fictional TV show.

Art imitates life though. While SVU is always over the top, which is point of the show, the subject is pretty real. So the "victim" in this episode was the fiancée of a billionaire that financed her game and there were those that claimed that she was only with him for the money to make her game and she was getting harassed mightily over it.

That's certainly not as fictional as I would have thought a few years ago.

Art imitates life though. While SVU is always over the top, which is point of the show, the subject is pretty real. So the "victim" in this episode was the fiancée of a billionaire that financed her game and there were those that claimed that she was only with him for the money to make her game and she was getting harassed mightily over it.

Its really damn fictional, unless you believe the lies from the anti-Gamergate a-holes that try to change the subject and make themselves into "victims" and pretending its about harassment and women's rights or some such nonsense.

But what can you expect from the liberal media...

If it's not as fictional as you'd believe, it's only because I myself (and I'm sure many others) can see the complete hypocrisy in the message.

Kinda ironic that we're lead to feel bad for a character that's harassed by people claiming she's a gold digger...when every chick flick on the face of the earth revolves around a girl with bad dating experiences being swept off her feet by a romeo billionaire with a heart of gold. Whether those stories exist because that's what women fantasize about (how else would they be big money?), or that it portrays women as 2 dimensional persons and girls think they need to imitate art...it still leaves us with the conclusion that mass media is hypocritical as fuck.

If it's not as fictional as you'd believe, it's only because I myself (and I'm sure many others) can see the complete hypocrisy in the message.

Kinda ironic that we're lead to feel bad for a character that's harassed by people claiming she's a gold digger...when every chick flick on the face of the earth revolves around a girl with bad dating experiences being swept off her feet by a romeo billionaire with a heart of gold. Whether those stories exist because that's what women fantasize about (how else would they be big money?), or that it portrays women as 2 dimensional persons and girls think they need to imitate art...it still leaves us with the conclusion that mass media is hypocritical as fuck.

All I'm saying is that a year ago it would have never occurred to me that there are those out there that feel passionately that video gaming is being corrupted by gold digging whores and feminists. Whatever the facts are or who's right or wrong it's probably not an issue that most that who don't keep up with tech have heard about.

Its really damn fictional, unless you believe the lies from the anti-Gamergate a-holes that try to change the subject and make themselves into "victims" and pretending its about harassment and women's rights or some such nonsense.

Lol. I'm not sure if you are trolling or serious. The reference to liberals is the icing on the cake though.

I don't take anything particularly seriously over GG from either side. It's little more than a classic conflated mess that's typical of "He said, she said" situations.

Lol. I'm not sure if you are trolling or serious. The reference to liberals is the icing on the cake though.

I've found that all posts that contain the word "liberal" or "conservative" are without any merit and generally just signal that the poster isn't very intelligent.

I don't take anything particularly seriously over GG from either side. It's little more than a classic conflated mess that's typical of "He said, she said" situations.

I've found that all posts that contain the word "liberal" or "conservative" are without any merit and generally just signal that the poster isn't very intelligent.

"The ladies doth protest too much, methinks"

When people say things I disagree with, it must mean they're stupid!

/sarc

I would tend to view it as one flag. There's a few other words or phrases that will flag, and typically whenever you get over 3 it's not worth the time to process.

That being said, this show is just chock full of unimaginative writing. I was going to say lazy, but that might not fit. The show is practically just a form letter now. Fill in a couple of blank spaces and crank out an episode.

I wonder when the episode about the militant atheist gunning down the young Muslim couple and their sister will come out.

I know where you are coming from about those trigger words, but I wouldn't call someone's intelligence into question. I do think those words indicate that they are falling for someone else's propaganda and talking points -- but that's to be expected for anyone consuming media now days. The people who are influencing (or attempting to) us are very good at what they do.

I stopped watching SVU when Meloni left the show, although it started to suck a few seasons before that. It started turning into a drama fest with extremely embellished scenarios.

I enjoy the "classic" Law & Order much more, the one with all the court room proceedings and less of the melodrama.

I know where you are coming from about those trigger words, but I wouldn't call someone's intelligence into question. I do think those words indicate that they are falling for someone else's propaganda and talking points -- but that's to be expected for anyone consuming media now days. The people who are influencing (or attempting to) us are very good at what they do.

Honestly I find the semantics/spread of the echo chambers kind of fascinating; specific turns of phrase, words, etc, can very quickly point out to you where someone gets their news from.

Men bad, women victims. This world is fucking dumb and a lot of the people in it too.

How is making a statement of fact a victim-mentality line of thought?

It's the flipside of the same coin people complain about.

Feminist: "This statement degrades all women!"

Flipside: "A feminist said something bad about some men, and it degrades all men!"

Actually, this brings up a good broader point in an article I read today about public shaming/mob justice in the internet age:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html

‘For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned’ ” (Matt. 12:37, NKJV).

I know there aren't a lot of religious folks around here but there is profound insight of the human condition in religion sometimes.

Sweet Home Alabama she ends up leaving the rich dude and going back to her ex-husband average small town guy. Every other chick flick - gold diggers. The whole lot of them.

I'm pro-GG and I thought this episode was hilarious. It was especially funny afterward seeing the Usual Suspects spouting how it reflected real life. Truth is SVU has an episode playbook that they run by regardless of the "real life situations" they're based on, and it was followed to a T in this episode.

That said, it's still sad to see gamers being portrayed on TV in the same fashion for 30 years now.

It was especially funny afterward seeing the Usual Suspects spouting how it reflected real life.

Art imitating like doesn't mean art reflects reality. Many of the weapons in video games are based on real world weapons however the average gun owner doesn't go around daily spraying bullets all over creation.

I like how the demonizing of gamers by a make-believe TV show that pretty much no one in the modern world watches because of how obsolete TV is these days has poked a soft spot and how it gets some angry ranting here. It means there's a lot of guilt being converted into angry defensiveness.

The L&O franchise got so preachy a while back that I quit watching even the two or three episodes a season that I stumbled upon. It's a soap opera with over the top writing, acting and production. That, and it's like each episode was cranked out of the same machine:

1. Grisly crime discovered where you usually wouldn't expect it.
2. All of the resources of SVU are diverted to one case.
3. Crime appears to be nearly identical to something scandalous from recent headlines.
4. Ice T or Richard Belzer knows all of the background on whatever led up to crime.
5. One dimensional character suspected of crime.
6. Said character dramatically confesses to crime.
7. Detectives are amazed at capacity of humanity for evil.
8. Detectives are reassured at capacity of humanity for good.
9. Doink, doink.
10. ...
11. PROFIT!

This episode was absolutely terrible, when it went full Jack Chick my brain broke and I stopped having any emotions towards it, just confusion was left at how this got on the air

This episode was absolutely terrible, when it went full Jack Chick my brain broke and I stopped having any emotions towards it, just confusion was left at how this got on the air

The quality of episodes of SVU have always varied tremendously over its 15 years. This was certainly a very weak one but it's pretty obvious that it was all about pressing people's buttons. This is the first time I think I've ever seen an episode of SVU discussed around here.

Context is important NSFW, but George Carlin did do a really good job of illustrating the point).

Law & Order always incorporated major events in the media into their episodes. The surprising part here isn't so much that they did so again, but that GamerGate was ever a big enough topic for the writers to take notice.

Back