Launch of 290x and 290's delayed?

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
From Overclock.net:

Quote:
According to the information we received from manufacturer AMD has postponed the launch of the Radeon R9 290X.
It’s not October 15th
Long story short it is not October 15th and the final date has not been disclosed yet. Of course I’m talking about the embargo on the reviews, I’m not sure how is this going to work with so many cards listed at etailer’s websites. You will probably be able to preoder them, but you also will have to wait for the delivery.
So when?
You’ve all seen previous embargo date which has been changed to an unknown date. AMD is yet to decide when the R9 290 series will be announced. It is said that Battlefield 4 launch date is now being discussed. From what I’ve learned AMD did not yet deliver the samples to all major reviewing partners. The rumor has it that AMD has problems delivering units, not only to reviewers but also to etailers offering Battlefield 4 bundle (that would explain why Newegg has not yet started its preoder).

http://www.overclock.net/t/1433925/vc-amd-radeon-r9-290-series-launch-postponed

BF4 release date seems premature for the 21st of this month but moving that date is probably impossible now considering they have all of these promo's in place already.

The "theory's" are stupid, AMD waiting to see what Nvidia is going to do? derp.

KiDKu1I.png

Lol... well this is funny... someone trolling for web page hits, or carefully planted mole food?

lol

reminds me of when ms hired a private company to dislike FB and YouTube comments that were negative towards the xbone

My source (a review writer at one of the hardware sites) told me the same, it was never 15 the release date, but he couldn't tell more becouse of NDA

well the twitter question just says the R9 series....doesn't say anything about the 290x. Since the 280x's are available and shipping, the launch of R9 hasn't been delayed

so it's still quite possible the 290x launch will be delayed

that videocardz source updated their rumor and said it the launch would be "delayed" by a week...with the cards officially at retail October 31st I think

Would still like to know the whys and wherefores though. The early adopter in me wants one, like now.

BF4 is being released on the 29th. I would venture a guess that the R9x will be released and the NDA lifted sometime around then.

Not even AMD is a reliable source for what's going on with the release of their card.

Lol, true! AMD has adopted Valve time!

Someone on another forum said 10-29-13 because 10x29=290

but (IMO) I think Nvidia delayed it talking about releasing another card on the 16th or 17th which to me they keep shooting there self in the foot as it's best to say notting if the speed crown is all your after because no real gamer cares about $1000 cards as we want value pre dollar.

Thanks Nvidia for spoiling the party.

8 am here and Newegg still says coming soon so I guess launch day is not today. Still waiting on some official reviews to come up as I'm gonna assume the nda still ended today?

I don't think there really is a 290 or a 290X.:eek::eek::eek:

AMD just rebranded what they had and put new heatsinks on them......the rest will go down in history with the phantom console, Alienware SLi, and DukeNukem.

..............and Elvis is really alive and living in a retirement home in DesMoines.:cool:

I think AMD kinda screwed the pooch on this one. I read that it may be the 18th, but who knows at this point.

well its 12:01 EST (berlin time)
so is it Eastern standard time or berlin time
And then you throw in daylight savings time and it turns into a Nvidia release
maybe we can log into some web page with a clock and when it hits 0 it will tell us what page to go look at next.

The day is not over yet. What could be the hold up?

"There's no delay, who told you that?" aka "There were no official date, so there's no delay" aka I'm not sure anyone is at the wheel over at AMD.

IIRC the sweclockers guys were a bit irritated that AMD had moved the NDA of the other cards (non 290s) earlier because of some leak. No reason they couldn't have moved this one also.

(Also, I'm fairly sure you have your timezone info wrong)

The 15th was never a date given by AMD so of course there is no delay and don't expect any new info today ;p.

I assume AMD is waiting so they don't do a paper launch and can have more mature drivers for when the NDA is lifted. But what would be the point be of the 8000 Battlefield 4 special edition 290x cards if it isn't being released a few weeks earlier than the regular cards? I doubt retailers are going to price the limited edition the same price as the regular version so you wont be getting BF4 for free.

I was under the impression that Units would begin shipping on the 15th or today. Not that actual NDA would be lifted. I am pretty sure the NDA expires with the BF4 launch date. Which would be the 29th.

I was under the impression that Units would begin shipping on the 15th or today. Not that actual NDA would be lifted. I am pretty sure the NDA expires with the BF4 launch date. Which would be the 29th.

I'm pretty sure that's... not correct. I can say for sure that the swec guys expected this thing to be out in the open before the 25:th.

Also, they'd never have a "ship to stores" date (which is pretty much NEVER communicated anyway) that far from the NDA lift. No way. It's one thing if benchmarks leak a few days early because of card availability, but stores sitting on product for two weeks? Unlikely. Not that I know much about retail, but they don't usually just give away floor space.

Unlikely. Not that I know much about retail, but they don't usually just give away floor space.

I don't like to speculate but its hard not to under the circumstances.

We need a Hitler video to help out. :D

Something to the lines of....

"Hitler!!!!! AMD is late releasing the R9 290 series...

Hitler the stores can't get rid of the HD7950s or the HD7970s and the new R780x are starting to stack up. The stores don't want to see the R9 290X card till they can clear stock of the HD7950s and the HD7970s.....

One more thing Hitler... The retailers have a crap load of GTX 780s and Titans and they don't want the R9 290X because the price and performance will destroy GTX 780 and Titan sales and profits.....

Hitler your AMD and NVIDIA stock is not looking good right now...."

Last edited:
Didn't the AMD guy at the convention in Hawaii say the special BF4 editions were a pre-order? If so where are they? Getting pretty close to release day......:eek:

Why would you wait until BF4 is released?

Makes the preorder kind of worthless, when I can just go out and buy the game at the store and then wait to get the GPU.

Jesus, just release the damn card or show what it can/can't do and be done with it......this is getting to be like the Bulldozer or Piledriver or whatever it was that was a turd.

I don't think the guy from AMD said much of anything.
The last statement from some sites was they are waiting on N to do something.
So if N does nothing neither will AMD.

dumb and dumber

overall they are just waiting on nothing and making something out of it.

I kinda feel that they are waiting for the fan boys to set the prices.
OH MY GOD I WILL PAY $699 THATS CHEAP
yep

$500 is the most I will spend for any video card and that is if the card is worthy. The R9 290x may be over my budget but I think its high time AMD makes this card available for order and its time for some reviews.

Last generation of AMD HD79XX cards my budget was limited to $300 and I ended up getting HD7950 which was a blast. This new generation my budget is up $200 to $500. To me my increase in budget is huge. I hope AMD makes these new cards some what affordable.

The 290 and 290x are beginning to seem like vaporware to me. Really expected to see some write ups today but oh well. AMD needs to realize that people are not patient. We want what we want when we want it.

The 290 and 290x are beginning to seem like vaporware to me. Really expected to see some write ups today but oh well.

Vaporware??? Its been 20 days since AMD announced Hawaii. Hardly vaporware.

Also AMD never mentioned a NDA lift or launch date. The 15th was on some "leaked" slides and no one can confirm that date was even placed there by AMD. Several reviewers have said they don't know where this magical October 15th date came from. Certainly appears it was not AMD. So have a little patience.

Since the card is tied in with BF4 I imagine it will be closer to the BF4 launch. So at most 2 more weeks. You can live that long.

Vaporware??? Its been 20 days since AMD announced Hawaii. Hardly vaporware.

Also AMD never mentioned a NDA lift or launch date. The 15th was on some "leaked" slides and no one can confirm that date was even placed there by AMD. Several reviewers have said they don't know where this magical October 15th date came from. Certainly appears it was not AMD. So have a little patience.

Since the card is tied in with BF4 I imagine it will be closer to the BF4 launch. So at most 2 more weeks. You can live that long.

My comment was intended with a healthy dose of sarcasm. Nevertheless, I think this launch has been pretty frustrating for many potential buyers. I really don't understand the defcon 5 secrecy amd has in regards to release dates/performance/price of these new cards.

Preorders from here: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Zeus_Evo_Lightning_Battlefield4_Edition

ETA 10/31/2013.

I think one would be a fool to preorder without reviews. :mad:

Lol, hope they have standalone 290X cards available at launch then and not just the BF4 bundle... as that's a few days after the game releases. Granted the launch date may be earlier for standalone cards.

Worth noting that the price for a 290X at CyberpowerPC is $835 and they have around a $150-200 markup on the high end cards, so this probably puts the price at $599.

Back