Lauch of the X1K series effect on 7600 and 7200 launch time

(Warning the following is based on rumors and speculation although I tried to base as much on fact as possible so this isnt the place to complain about rumor threads)

With the entire X1K series launching in 4 days I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about this yet*. If ati launches the X1300 and X1600 then they will have a definite control on the midrange and lowend markets (assuming they can produce them). If nvidia is going to continue acting the way they have in the past several months then it is almost a sure thing that the 7200 and 7600 will be hard lauched on the same day. If this is the case how come we have not heard anything about it yet? Are there any supposed specs on the 7600 and 7200 floating around?

* = Taken from the countdown on ati's website so people wont ask how I know when they're launching.

I think Nvida will stick withthe 6xxx line for that. The 7xxx gen isn't exactly a next gen product. It's more like going from the 9700 to 9800.

Obi_Kwiet said:
I think Nvida will stick withthe 6xxx line for that. The 7xxx gen isn't exactly a next gen product. It's more like going from the 9700 to 9800.
Good point but I dont see OEM's seeing it that way. If the X1300 turns out to be as fast as a 6600 it doesnt bode well for nvidia. Even if they are priced the same I doubt that the OEM's would move up the chain from 6200 to 6600 instead of going to the "next-gen" X1300.

Flak Monkey said:
Good point but I dont see OEM's seeing it that way. If the X1300 turns out to be as fast as a 6600 it doesnt bode well for nvidia. Even if they are priced the same I doubt that the OEM's would move up the chain from 6200 to 6600 instead of going to the "next-gen" X1300.

I think these things go in cycles...most oems have already gone with nvidia for the season...so they aren't in any immediate danger...they have time to respond to the x1k series before oems will be shopping for cards again...

Yea I would think from a business standpoint Nvidia is safe for quite awhile. OEM's won't really drop Nvidia for ATI unless it costs them considerably less on their pocketbook and is a better performer.

Upgrade card wise it's going to be price as the big factor and I am pretty sure ATI won't win this area with a product that is more mature and can probaly be dropped even lower in price. I really think the best bet for ATI as a company is to have AGP upgrade cards for their next gen I think they can actually make a slew of cash just in this area :). I am on board if they do!

Obi_Kwiet said:

You can argue your point on new technology if you wish but I beg to differ on your 9700 to 9800 analogy.

The leap in performance I got going 6800 series to 7800 series was far greater than when i went 9700 to 9800

Flak Monkey said:

ATI already lost the OEM contracts to nvidia through xmas so nvidia probably isn't concerned with this.

Obi_Kwiet said:

More like GF3 -> GF4 actually.

As noted, ATI lost the OEM market through holidays, so...nVidia is not worried.

What will likely happen - given how INCREDIBLY late X1K is coming to market - is that nVidia will just sit it out entirely. Supposedly, the near-WHQL-ready Det 80 drivers will offer 10-20% graphics performance boost across the board for dual-core CPUs (already starting to be seen in the leaked versions of the series)....I'm sure nVidia is timing those to hit on or shortly after the X1K launch and be enough to carry them through till their refresh parts.

IE., I don't think we WILL see a 7600 or 7200. I think nVidia is holding out to do a 32-pipe refresh of the 7800, maybe call it 7900, and we'll see the midrange and budget 7700 and 7300s come out then. Maybe by spring? In time to catch ATI's 32-pipe R580, anyway.

Back