Latest Windows Update Breaks DX9 On Certain GPU's

d3athf1sh

[H]ard|Gawd
you can also use microsoft's wushowhide program to skip the update if you haven't already installed it.

I have the latest beta of Windows 11 so, at least for me, I should be completely unaffected.

Thankfully, 22H2 is not the what Windows 11 shipped with. :)
Well, the Windows 11 image is still broken as of 21H2, I haven't played with 22H2 but it would be nice if they fixed it. It's a mild annoyance.

Glad the game I play most is in the process of updating to DX 11 (open beta late last year).

Seems a bit strange to post a thread about this now as it was already fixed in the KB5014019 update from a couple days ago.

• Microsoft fixed an issue where searchindexer.exe could affect shapes in Microsoft Visio.
  • Microsoft fixed an issue where adding a trusted user, group or computer could result in the error message “The object selected doesn’t match the type of destination source”.
  • Microsoft fixed an issue that could affect the brightness of displays after you change the display mode.
  • Microsoft fixed an issue that crashes apps using d3d9.dll with certain graphics cards.
  • Microsoft fixed an issue that causes some users to see a black screen.
  • Microsoft fixed an issue that causes print failures.

Well, the Windows 11 image is still broken as of 21H2, I haven't played with 22H2 but it would be nice if they fixed it. It's a mild annoyance.

I am not sure, since I have not run into any issues related to that. However, if you could give me a way to reproduce that, I can attempt to test it, thanks.

Windows 11 update KB5012643 and Windows 10 update KB5011831 both break DX9 on some gpu's. Microsoft isn't identifying which gpu's and has already issued a workaround for those affected in the form of a Known Issue Rollback (KIR)...​

why don't they reveal which GPU's?...geez

I am not sure, since I have not run into any issues related to that. However, if you could give me a way to reproduce that, I can attempt to test it, thanks.
Only way is to launch and try to play some DX9 games and wait until an error along the lines of “d3dx9_36.dll missing!” And it crashes out.

Back