Latest news on Broadwell?

aphexcoil

Limp Gawd
Does anyone have any updates on Broadwell? Any early engineering sample reviews? Release date predictions? Any Intel insiders want to throw us a bone?

What's going on with 14nm? Did they work out their yield issues?

Use Google. I guarantee you that if there was any new information, using Google with search tool time frame set to past one month will show it.

No insider will give you any information. That's just asking to lose their job.

I thought the Broadwell story was get Haswell or wait for Skylake. No?

there will be a refresh of hawell before broadwell release, the model will be i5 4690 i7 4790, the broadwell will be released with h97 z97 chipsets later 2014.

Does anyone have any updates on Broadwell? Any early engineering sample reviews? Release date predictions?
Next week is the analysts conference call after Intel releases last quarter's financial results. That will have definitive answers about status updates.

The status from 3 months ago is that Intel finally got 14nm yield back onto the curve it expected at that point of time (claiming that yields were not horrible, but not up to the expected level) and that volume production of Haswell would be pushed one quarter to Q1'14.

Enough with the facts. :p If you want semi-wild speculation, the next window of release for processors could occur around the time of Computex in early June. June is historically one of the biggest release months for new tick-tock cycles.

Waiting to see what Skylake has to offer
This is almost the entirety of what's been leaked about Skylake so far (at least with some kind of proof):

PBTLxev.jpg

AVX 3.2 (AVX-512), DDR4 memory, PCIe 4, doubling of L1/L2 cache bandwidths, new large integer instructions (ADOX/ADCX, non-SIMD), new generation of iGPU ("gen 9" graphics, Broadwell will have "gen 8").

Other than possibly PCIe 4 and DDR4, it's mostly just another jump like Sandy Bridge -> Haswell.

and the pricing might be stupid as intel wants to pack Iris Pro into each K version (what a stupid waste for audience most likely to run dGPU)

Sweet 128 MB L4 cache when user would use discrete card. If Intel would add it into Ivy-E it would be great. I have an orgasm already. Perhaps they would add it as L4 cache into Skylake-E.

Sweet 128 MB L4 cache when user would use discrete card. If Intel would add it into Ivy-E it would be great. I have an orgasm already. Perhaps they would add it as L4 cache into Skylake-E.

Why would you even want that over more cores? Cores and clockspeed would be more beneficial when you're paying $500-$1,000 for a CPU than 128MB L4 cache meant for a iGPU. Most people would focus on at least one, maybe two high-end external GPU's. I see almost no use for the iGPU on high-end K products. Waste of silicon to be honest. Then again i7 3930K's already have 8 cores with 2 disabled so we're being cheated with or without the iGPU on the die.

Large cache means data would stay in the cache. More cores as well would be great, but it also means higher power consumption, or HW locked thermal limits.
I'd want both 128 MB L4 cache AND more cores. There is never enough cores.

Actually I'd want also caches optimized for high power efficiency and low latency, even at the cost of more transistors.

will we see DDR 4 or not?

If going by the timeline, DDR4 is released initially this summer or Q4 2014 when Haswell-E and Haswell server processors are released.

Broadwell will not have support for it when released in 2015, but Skylake released sometime in 2015 to 2016 will have support for DDR4 alongside PCI-e 4.0.

Intel just stated that volume production of Broadwell will start later this quarter in the analyst conference call. The guy also repeated that the 14nm yield issues were fixed in Q4'13. Broadwell ultramobiles (tablets) are expected before back to school season.

edit: the Intel guy just clarified that Broadwell launch is scheduled for H2'14. <--- official as it gets. :p That means Summer at soonest.

Last edited:
If going by the timeline, DDR4 is released initially this summer or Q4 2014 when Haswell-E and Haswell server processors are released.

Broadwell will not have support for it when released in 2015, but Skylake released sometime in 2015 to 2016 will have support for DDR4 alongside PCI-e 4.0.

ddr4 will give me a reason to upgrade. this chips are all annoying without any reasonable performance improvements.

Early DDR4 is likely to be performance downgrade like early ddr3 compared to ddr2 was.

so is it sure that broadwell will not bring ddr4 and we need to wait skylake for new memory and PCI exp 4?

For the mainstream parts, yes, that has always been the case. Skylake is the chip you want for all the big new feature support. Haswell-E for those who can't wait and are riding the enthusiast bandwagon.

^ very likely. LGA1150 is made for DDR3 memory and that's what the LGA version of Broadwell uses.

I wouldn't want DDR4 memory right now either. The spec for DDR4-2666 and higher speeds isn't even finalized yet and only lower speeds currently have a spec. I'm curious about how both AMD and Intel will be supporting it on the mainstream sockets. Since it uses s a point-to-point topology (1 DIMM per channel), having 4 controllers to support 4 DIMMs could allow single, dual, tri and quad channel memory configurations. I fear that while it may be possible, it's going to be one of those things used in segmenting CPU prices. IOW, some processors may be deliberately prevented from using more than X number of channels at once, possibly limiting many 4 DIMM capable systems to dual channel mode.

edit: the Intel guy just clarified that Broadwell launch is scheduled for H2'14. <--- official as it gets. :p That means Summer at soonest.
Not Summer. Intel has its release buckets, and the earliest release bucket is end of August/early September.

I expected HW-E at Novermber/December release bucket. And considering Intel would want to have some mainboards available, we would probably see some MB info leaks first.

Or July. :p

I already reviewed previous release dates to make sure of something I posted earlier.

I would like to upgrade my system because my GPUs are not enough for maxing out all games. I would like to buy a GTX8 series but I would like to upgrade my CPU either, should I wait 2016 for DDR4 ?

Im more interested in Cherry Trail personally. IGP of a Haswell part on that little atom might not be too bad (the new Atom is supposedly ~core 2 duo in performance).

The slide I saw stated Cherry Trail-T would come with (up to) 16 Broadwell (gen 8) EUs.

LmVUwnN.png

Im more interested in Cherry Trail personally. IGP of a Haswell part on that little atom might not be too bad (the new Atom is supposedly ~core 2 duo in performance).

never understood why the i7 segment should bring a GPU inside, who buys an i7 and don't put an external card?
surely a wide minority.

never understood why the i7 segment should bring a GPU inside, who buys an i7 and don't put an external card?
surely a wide minority.

Because the quad-core i5 and i7 are the same exact dies on Intel's mainstream and mobile platforms.

this means nothing, same dies with different features, different prices and diffrent customers target.

What do you mean it means nothing? Why should Intel permanently disable a perfectly working iGPU on an i7 just because some people think an iGPU doesn't belong on i7s?

Come on, some critical thinking would be appreciated.

What do you mean it means nothing? Why should Intel permanently disable a perfectly working iGPU on an i7 just because some people think an iGPU doesn't belong on i7s?

Come on, some critical thinking would be appreciated.

I expressed myself badly.
I don't want to mean that intel should disable the gpu on the i7, I only saied that I don't understood who buys the i7 and is interested in the gpu inside.

I expressed myself badly.
I don't want to mean that intel should disable the gpu on the i7, I only saied that I don't understood who buys the i7 and is interested in the gpu inside.

Mobile users.

Because the quad-core i5 and i7 are the same exact dies on Intel's mainstream and mobile platforms.
Not exactly. Different manufacturing parameters can be tweaked for the various segments: ULV, mobile, desktop and server, particularly optimizing for low voltage in mobile processors. While the number of transistors and die size remain constant, it's not just like the Duff, Duff Lite and Duff Dry manufacturing line. ;) And of course there is the GT3 die which doesn't have a desktop version (mobile BGA version is used in "R" models, with a higher TDP). That kind of shows both sides: a modest iGPU goes into top mainstream socket CPUs, at least the socketed versions.

Last edited:
Back