Latest MacOS Update Disables DisplayLink

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
While the latest version of MacOS may give external GPU support, it has apparently also broke DiaplayLink protocol support, rendering thousands of monitors dead. DisplayLink themselves have stated that High Sierra 10.13,4 will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank, and they have alerted Apple of the issue, and are working to find a resolution. More worrying though is a post on the DisplayLink forums, where the user of a "Pluggable Triple Display Docking Station" posted a message from the manufacturer that may indicate that this is a permanent change to MacOS going forward. The manufacturer states:

This new macOS release only supports displays which are directly provided by a GPU or via AirPlay. For this dock, this means versions of Apple macOS after 10.13.3 will only support the single 4K HDMI port on the dock which uses DisplayPort Over USB-C technology (which is directly GPU connected). The second and third displays on the dock -- the DVI and 2K HDMI ports using DisplayLink technology -- will no longer function.

Nice job Apple. DisplayLink as well as the dock manufacturer quoted above state that if you intend to use a DisplayPort monitor, do not upgrade to 10.13.4.

The world will cry out and then realize that Display Link was awful tech and move one and forget it ever existed. The only thing DisplayLink has even been good for is eating half your CPU power to display a static image.

I don't get why you would use DisplayLink when you have Display Ports that support MST anyway.

I cannot imagine Apple doing anything wrong. We users are grateful to the Apple for leading down the technological road to a higher plane of enlightment. Please tell us more!

Do I need a sarcasm emote for that?

apple doesnt make dsplaylink garbage.

your post makes 0 sense.

Apple: How dare you use non-apple hardware. You should only use Apple solutions even if they cost 10x as much.
Apple: If Apple doesn't have a solution for what you are trying to do, then you really don't need to do it.

Welcome to the walled prison, I mean garden.

Apple, because who wants compatibility or functionality.

Or any money left in their pocket.

Apple: It Just Works.*

9ea.jpg

*For us.

Apple doesn't want to see a desk with an apple cluttered with additional monitors.
They enforce clean and minimalist desks and next up is removing USB Mouse and Keyboard support so they cannot have wires.

So, I'm not familiar with the term "DisplayLink"

On my Fiancee's iMac, I hooked up two old Dell screens using the displayport/Thunderbolt ports on the back and a couple of displayport to DVI adapters.

Would this configuration be affected?

I had a DisplayLink dock hooked up to a MBP 15 Pro and... it just worked, to be honest.
Reading up, it seems a lot of people are disparaging it, and perhaps there is some CPU usage (I didn't notice personally), but it was at least effective/functional. For those who have bought one of these docks only to find it now stops working, that's asshattery at its finest from Apple.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there's an army of angry executives forming right now. A lot of upper management use DisplayLink devices. They're probably now, or going to be, pissed that their multiple monitors suddenly stopped working. And they're not going to be pleased when they find out their expensive toy just isn't working with them any more.

This really is a stupid thing for Apple to do...

Man I just really hate Microsoft and how they're just constantly trying to screw people over with these forced updates that break stuff and remove features! :cool:

Linux just gained marketshare!
(kidding but if Apple keep it up ...)

This really makes me mad. At work for a staff member, I literally just bought a USB C triple display dock for a MacBook Pro (which we also just bought) and everything was working perfectly. Until this. I HATE Apple.

This really makes me mad. At work for a staff member, I literally just bought a USB C triple display dock for a MacBook Pro (which we also just bought) and everything was working perfectly. Until this. I HATE Apple.

Is it possible you're just holding it wrong? :LOL:

Apple: How dare you use non-apple hardware. You should only use Apple solutions even if they cost 10x as much.
Apple: If Apple doesn't have a solution for what you are trying to do, then you really don't need to do it.

Welcome to the walled prison, I mean garden.

It’s usb junk. Not supporting crap like that is a good thing.

You need a different dongle for your dongle dock.

10.13.4 also blocks eGPU over TB1/TB2 as well as all Nvidia GPUs. Intentionally. As in they worked before, no longer do and the kernel panics point to a new OS component called GPUwrangler.

10.13.4 also blocks eGPU over TB1/TB2 as well as all Nvidia GPUs. Intentionally. As in they worked before, no longer do and the kernel panics point to a new OS component called GPUwrangler.
geez

I was Waiting for Apple to start the descent and its begun.

Plz limit my peripherals a bit more. Also if you could stop packaging Intel/amd stuff in the computers and just run IOS from an A10 that would be swell.

I am sure it can emulate the accounting software just fine.

Well that's just great. It was already a nightmare trying to get a new iMac to connect to an external monitor and projector in classrooms. Most of the USB C to HMDI/VGA/DVI adapters didn't even work before, now its going to be worse? I wish instructors could be convinced to stop using this ridiculous company just to run Creative Suite.

For a happy user base, do the same for operating systems as you would for massively multiplayer online games: Only Buff, Never Nerf.

Apple forgot this.

Well that's just great. It was already a nightmare trying to get a new iMac to connect to an external monitor and projector in classrooms. Most of the USB C to HMDI/VGA/DVI adapters didn't even work before, now its going to be worse? I wish instructors could be convinced to stop using this ridiculous company just to run Creative Suite.

I've switched to running W10 on my iMac Pro and ponied up cash for new software. Apple only has UNIX and iMessage now and I can run Linux in Windows or as another bootcamp option.

Just glad I'm switching before they updated macos to use that T2 chip to block bootcamp entirely.

Pretty sure that's coming.

And yes, I know there are other, better messaging apps, but my kids, wife and many friends use iMessage which handles group texts well. I was Apple free from '89-'06 and even went 100% Linux from '08-'10. Tim Cook is a disaster.

The world will cry out and then realize that Display Link was awful tech and move one and forget it ever existed. The only thing DisplayLink has even been good for is eating half your CPU power to display a static image.

I don't get why you would use DisplayLink when you have Display Ports that support MST anyway.

Ive been using a display link usb device for years and it doesnt do anything of the sort. I can out youtube on that display and it runs just fine.

Lots of school teachers are going to be pissed off. Every classroom is riddled with adapters it seems.

Is it fair to disable it though if it's already there? It's indefensible. If they want to disable it then why not just do it on new computers going forward? Why disable computers who are still using them if customers are happy with it?

Ive been using a display link usb device for years and it doesnt do anything of the sort. I can out youtube on that display and it runs just fine.

I've been told the USB3 ones are better but both the ones I've had would burn a ton of CPU power and still be laggy. Its kind of the nature of USB there are a TON of interrupts. Replaced with a cheaper display port hub and been happy ever since. And this was with a 6700HQ so not like it was a weak CPU.

zamardii12 I won't argue against that point. Just that there are better options. I wouldn't go as far as you though... Every OS has done something similar to this(Vista completely changing the driver model) and the world has kept turning and honestly I've never meet anybody truly happy with a display link device. Just let them run their extra screens lag and all.

I've been told the USB3 ones are better but both the ones I've had would burn a ton of CPU power and still be laggy. Its kind of the nature of USB there are a TON of interrupts. Replaced with a cheaper display port hub and been happy ever since. And this was with a 6700HQ so not like it was a weak CPU.

zamardii12 I won't argue against that point. Just that there are better options. I wouldn't go as far as you though... Every OS has done something similar to this(Vista completely changing the driver model) and the world has kept turning and honestly I've never meet anybody truly happy with a display link device. Just let them run their extra screens lag and all.

We have dells d6000 docks at work and they are pretty much flawless with 2 monitors, both windows and macs.

Luckily, we are not running high sierra yet, so we are good.

I'm actually regretting the upgrade to High Sierra, I'm finding a number of issues that I never had under El Capitan. Mind you, Apple aren't alone in the whole 'breaking functionality' department.

Back