Latest Boston Dynamics footage of a... robot chicken?

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by IcePickFreak, Mar 29, 2019.

1. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

Boston Dynamics released a video of their latest Handle robot used for logistics, aka warehouse work. The use of a single "arm" along with a counterweight "tail" gives the appearance of a bird, a really creepy bird.

It's capable of lifting up to 33lbs with it's vacuum assisted arm with a 4 foot reach and up to 68 inches in height. While this particular robot isn't a machine of war, it doesn't make it any less unsettling seeing it in action.

I envision a future of Amazon warehouses full of similar robots, but with them all wearing Velociraptor suits.

2. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous 2[H]4U

I see one of them slipped out for a cigarette break before the shift was done. Typical robots.

GoodBoy, N4CR, Burticus and 3 others like this.
  3. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

Impressive work, though the OCD in me feels they should be able to stack the boxes more neatly lol

4. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Where's the robotic forklift? Must be taking a break.

IcePickFreak likes this.
  5. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Bok bok bok, bok bok bok, bok bok bokky boka bok bok bok!

Krenum, IcePickFreak and Armenius like this.
  6. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

7. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

8. Kardonxt

Kardonxt 2[H]4U

It looks like it wastes a lot of time balancing with the counterweight. I feel like the good old K.I.S.S approach with treads or more wheel's might be better (albeit less interesting.)

Overblod likes this.
  9. Overblod

Overblod Limp Gawd

Agreed, cant think of a place or application where a 3rd would be a hindrance

10. bink

bink [H]ard|Gawd

As someone who has designed, built, and programmed palletizers for boxes and peanut butter jars...that was slow and inefficient. But It was cool as shit.

Multiples of these that can go and grab fresh batteries will replace a lot of unskilled crack heads.

11. Dillirium

Dillirium Limp Gawd

Similar to this. I bet they would be a good team. One unpacks/packs. The other receives and puts them away or picks them.

12. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

In college I really enjoyed my job at a warehouse stacking and unstacking of hundreds boxes of mostly clothing ( which involved a lot of throwing of the boxes). That was probably my favorite job I have had. One reason is I took it as getting paid to work out and I did not have to use much of my brain which was a plus going through engineering school and computer science at the same time. Although with that said I made more money in the last week than I did for an entire year at the warehouse and at 47 I would probably not be able to handle what I did 25 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  13. Revenant_Knight

Revenant_Knight Limp Gawd

Anyone else suddenly have the urge to play Horizon Zero Dawn?

14. bink

bink [H]ard|Gawd

I worked at a corrugated box plant while getting my computer science degree stacking endless pallets of boxes. It paid for my degree.

I misspoke when I said crack heads. The plastics plants I engineered palletizers for had endless supplies of illegals provided by temp agencies. They are taking our jerbs and the robots are taking their jerbs!