latest and greatest quiet fans

Momo

Gawd
Hey folks, been a while since i looked into quiet fans.

It appears that coolerguys.com has some OEM gentle typhoon 1450rpm units. always wanted to hear these myself.

My cougar fans are getting noisier it seems. Before i buy some GT's, are there other fans that I should be considering in lieu?

These are going on 120mm radiators (one Coolermaster, one Corsair h80i)

Thanks.

definitively you will hardly find any better than the Gentle typhoons.. but if you are looking to see other options i would check Cooler Master Jetflo (those are what im using to replace some oldie GT-AP15s) Arctic F12 and Noctua NF-F12. all are great fans, but definitively the Jetlo are the better option in my opinion.

I've not heard of anything dethroning the Nidec GTs, hell of a run those have had

I have been using some Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans in my desktop. They were very quiet for me but I don't sit around benchmarking my fan performance either.

Also, I tend to look for less tonal sounding fans. I would much rather hear a more pure air "woosh" sound.

Phanteks PH-F120 fans are awesome. They rival Noctua and are very quiet when run at a low rpm. I have a bunch of the 140mm fans in my case now, love them all, and the customer service is amazing too. If you want silence, you can't beat BeQuiet! Silent Wings 2. They actually are getting ready to release the Silent Wings 3 fan too. I have a SW2 on my dark rock CPU cooler and it is basically inaudible. I have to stick my ear to the fan to hear anything

I have been using some Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans in my desktop. They were very quiet for me ...

Agree. I have a pair of these I run on a 120mm setup; 1 on the cooler, the other on the exhaust. They're the only fans I have on that setup and they're not very audible, if at all. Although I will note that mine stay around 475 - 540 rpm.

If you want silence, you can't beat BeQuiet! Silent Wings 2. They actually are getting ready to release the Silent Wings 3 fan too. I have a SW2 on my dark rock CPU cooler and it is basically inaudible. I have to stick my ear to the fan to hear anything
I tried a SW2 fan and mine made a very subtle grinding/buzzing/gyrating sound at low rpm (450-475 rpm). It was barely audible, but enough to hear over everything else at night. It started to drive me nuts so I returned it. I realize this was likely a dud, but wanted so share nonetheless.

I'm definitely trying the SW3 though, I hear it's even quieter and provides more cfm.

And I gotta give be quiet! credit for making beautiful fans, too.

Last edited:
I use the EK Vardar 120mm 1400rpm fans and they put my Corsair SP120 to shame. Both in the amount of air they move and how quiet they are. Plus the build quality is worlds better than the SP120's

I use the EK Vardar 120mm 1400rpm fans and they put my Corsair SP120 to shame. Both in the amount of air they move and how quiet they are. Plus the build quality is worlds better than the SP120's

I'm not a fan (pardon the pun) of the Vardar's. I bought one to put on an AIO cooler, and the motor makes a heck of a lot of noise on idle. I've got some Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro's on order, I'll see how those sound. The Noiseblocker eLoops are also supposed to be pretty great for radiator use.

I've heard nothing but good things about them

I have learned everyone's idea of quiet is different. I am very sensitive to noise so I am very picky about fans. Vardar's are out for me.. odd motor noise reported by to many ppl. I tried the new Phanteks PH-F120MP fans for radiators and they made some horrible motor noise.. had I actually read the SPCR review like I normally do on these fans I would have never gotten them.. SPCR basically said they were a let down. Noctua is still my favorite fan to use. I had some Eloops and HATED them.. the motor made some strange noises that would go away if you pressed on the back of it (exhaust side). Others have reported the same thing. They just feel crappy for a fan that is so expensive. Some fans are more silent at certain RPM's.. I tend to run mine around 400rpm at idle and let them throttle up as needed.. if it has motor noise at 400rpm I won't even consider it.

Back