Latest AMD drivers crash my PC. WTH??

Chihlidog

[H]ard|Gawd
So I installed the latest Crimson package yesterday. At first it seemed great. Then I shut down to do a cleaning today. Beautiful. She really is a pretty thing. Put it back together, start it up, and it goes to a black screen after the login. Restart in safe mode. Check everything. Cant see anything wrong. Check the event log. AMDA00 crashed.

At first, I thought maybe I was a little rough cleaning stuff up and I damaged something, but I am careful, so ... maybe I left the GPU unseated? Nope. Checked all connections to hard drives, PSU, etc. Nothing. Mem test and chckdsk all come out A-OK.

I remove the GPU and use onboard graphics. Now I get a freeze 30 seconds after the login page while programs are still starting. Hm. OK. Its gotta be software. GPU removed and its still doing it. And I realize this is the first restart after the Crimson software install.

I do a system restore and lo and behold, onboard graphics are now working. I stopped there. Going to try and re-install the GPU and see where we get.

This blows. I only updated the video drivers because I cant play Need For speed with the old ones.

So I installed the latest Crimson package yesterday. At first it seemed great. Then I shut down to do a cleaning today. Beautiful. She really is a pretty thing. Put it back together, start it up, and it goes to a black screen after the login. Restart in safe mode. Check everything. Cant see anything wrong. Check the event log. AMDA00 crashed.

At first, I thought maybe I was a little rough cleaning stuff up and I damaged something, but I am careful, so ... maybe I left the GPU unseated? Nope. Checked all connections to hard drives, PSU, etc. Nothing. Mem test and chckdsk all come out A-OK.

I remove the GPU and use onboard graphics. Now I get a freeze 30 seconds after the login page while programs are still starting. Hm. OK. Its gotta be software. GPU removed and its still doing it. And I realize this is the first restart after the Crimson software install.

I do a system restore and lo and behold, onboard graphics are now working. I stopped there. Going to try and re-install the GPU and see where we get.

This blows. I only updated the video drivers because I cant play Need For speed with the old ones.
Your 290 could also be failing.......a lot of times we see this kind of thing after new drivers but its really the hardware failing

Card works prior to cleaning but not afterwards. I don't see how that's a driver issue unless you had something wonky happen prior to deciding to do a clean.

Maybe a dust bunny got caught in the PCIe slot and preventing a contact from, um, you know, connecting.

Or you knocked off one of those teeny tiny surface mount resistors or whatever those little rectangles are that scrape off so easily.

were you vacuuming the PC out with a shop vac?

The speed of the air flow can build up static shock and damage components...

Back