The Last of Us: Part II

if you have complaints how can it be 10/10?
When I give a points score for a game, I give it to how impressed I was with it. Not based on the minor inconveniences in it.
I gave the game a 9/10, but now after a week I'm starting to come over to the 10/10 side, because I still think about the story a week after finishing it. And people can still point out nuances in it that I missed. That's impressive.

I initially though the rushed ending was a mistake, or lack of development time. Now I think it was perfectly calculated. I wanted to rush the ending, if it would've been longer its impact would've been much smaller. So I think now that the length of the last chapter was calculated and not an accident.

I literally have complaints about every game. I don't believe "perfect" is possible. A 10/10 is basically as good as something can be, but everything has flaws.
In my life I'd probably give 15 or so games a 10/10 going back to the 80's and I have complaints about all of them.
so its a 9/10

When I give a points score for a game, I give it to how impressed I was with it. Not based on the minor inconveniences in it.
I gave the game a 9/10, but now after a week I'm starting to come over to the 10/10 side, because I still think about the story a week after finishing it. And people can still point out nuances in it that I missed. That's impressive.

I initially though the rushed ending was a mistake, or lack of development time. Now I think it was perfectly calculated. I wanted to rush the ending, if it would've been longer its impact would've been much smaller. So I think now that the length of the last chapter was calculated and not an accident.
sounds like 10/10 story wise but if you have complaints/inconveniences it shouldnt be an overall 10/10.

so ignore any flaws as long as the story is good? doesnt work that way, at least not for honest reviews.

We're just getting into semantics of review scores. First of all, you have to ask yourself this question: can a piece of art/media like a game or movie be objectively perfect? If your answer is "yes" then sure, even the tiniest of flaws would disqualify a game from being a 10 out of 10. However I'm pretty sure you would agree (as would virtually everyone else) that no game can be objectively perfect. Therefore, given a common understanding of a review score range between 1 and 10, what is a 10? If you agree no game can be perfect, but you disagree that any game should be a 10, you're basically saying "the best a game can ever be is a 9." So now you've just created a review scale of 1 to 9, where 9 is the absolute best. It's literally the exact same scenario.

I really can't explain it any better than that, if you can't grasp this you're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I think another way you could explain it, is you're just rounding up your score to a 10.

9.0-9.9 = 10

sounds like 10/10 story wise but if you have complaints/inconveniences it shouldnt be an overall 10/10.
When you'll do a review of any game you'll able to score it however you please.

I do it this way:

1. Absolute shit, avoid at all cost
  2. Really bad game, no redeeming value at all
  3. Bad game, that some still might find interesting
  4. Worse than average, has some serious flaws, but still can get some enjoyment out of it
  5. Completely average game, it does what it advertises and nothing more.
  6. Better than average, good quality game, which shines on a few points but nothing extraordinary
  7. Good game, that's well worth playing
  8. Very good game, that's a must have
  9. Great game, that is truly awesome
  10. Ground breaking, genre re-defining, mind-blowing.

my score has nothing to do with whether the game has zero bugs or not or minor inconveniences, or even quirks.

That Last Of Us Part 2 Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

ACG's verdict: Wait for a Sale

are you going to discount his review now that he didn't gush over the game?

That's still a good review and what I expected from him about it, so why would I discount it? He didn't have any of the complaints you see Pendragon or others whining about here and while I didn't experience any of the technical issues he did (auto-aim issues, AI teammates pushing you out of cover or not being helpful, etc.), he also really thought the most subjective part of the game (the story) "drags on like no other title he can remember in his life" and how the story can "never get going" because it pulls you out to tell another part of the story.. didn't really make sense to me in that respect and I just have to disagree with that part, which is fine and doesn't make me discount his opinion or rating either. I guess he just didn't get pulled into the story in general that was there like I (and many others) did, which is to be expected in games like this that lean on its story more than any other aspect of the game and that may be why you see people who hated the story (for the ones who actually played it at least) rate it like a 3-4 despite it excelling in basically every other area of the game, at least compared to the first game.

Unfortunately, with that mentality, when we let certain things slide, truly memorable and fabulous games will not be justified by the 10/10 score. The bar is being dragged lower and lower.

We call 10/10 perfect for a reason.

Vegetta, don't damn The God. He has nothing to do with it.
exactly, if they can names thing wrong with it, its not perfect.

God damn people. You still wrapped up in the god damn scoring? Let it the fuck go already.

I mean, I did a while ago and wouldn't have addressed it any more had he not asked me directly.

I'm sorry to trigger everyone with my personal 9.5/10 rating for this game and if I had to use a whole number, it would round up to a 10/10. That doesn't mean the game is perfect, it means it left a big enough impression on me that I will think about it and come back to play it for years, just like I have with the first game that I've replayed several times almost on an annual basis since its launch.

It seems that Colonel Sanders called it with how this thread would go down:

I predict this thread going like this for next few weeks:

View attachment 253128

Unfortunately, with that mentality, when we let certain things slide, truly memorable and fabulous games will not be justified by the 10/10 score. The bar is being dragged lower and lower.

We call 10/10 perfect for a reason.

Vegetta, don't damn The God. He has nothing to do with it.
To us this is the truly memorable and fabulous game. I thought that part was clear at least.
BTW Only in college gymnastics do they call a perfect score a perfect 10.

exactly, if they can names thing wrong with it, its not perfect.
It's funny how, now you take "but it's not perfect" as some gotcha moment when literally nobody argued that it is perfect.

To us this is the truly memorable and fabulous game. I thought that part was clear at least.
BTW Only in college gymnastics do they call a perfect score a perfect 10.

It's funny how, now you take "but it's not perfect" as some gotcha moment when literally nobody argued that it is perfect.
giving it a 10/10, 5/5 or 100% means its perfect.
ive been arguing the same thing the whole time, through all the attacks and accusations, that i dont buy the perfect 10/10. you guys keep trying to twist it.

so ignore any flaws as long as the story is good? doesnt work that way, at least not for honest reviews.
That's why you read the review and not just look at the score. For example Alpha Protocol is a mess, it has bugs upon bugs terrible level design and serious issues, I still gave it a 7/10 because in other areas it was so impressive.
A game is not necessarily defined by its weakest link. But I dare you. What game deserves a 10/10 by your metric? Name a perfect/flawless game. It doesn't exist and never will.

That's why you read the review and not just look at the score. For example Alpha Protocol is a mess, it has bugs upon bugs terrible level design and serious issues, I still gave it a 7/10 because in other areas it was so impressive.
A game is not necessarily defined by its weakest link. But I dare you. What game deserves a 10/10 by your metric? Name a perfect/flawless game. It doesn't exist and never will.
none

That's still a good review and what I expected from him about it, so why would I discount it? He didn't have any of the complaints you see Pendragon or others whining about here and while I didn't experience any of the technical issues he did (auto-aim issues, AI teammates pushing you out of cover or not being helpful, etc.),
I actually experienced the ai teammate preventing me from going into the cover more than once, took note of it early in Seattle day 1 I was thinking this will definitely have its own paragraph in my review, but by the time I got to the end I was so overwhelmed by the rest of the story that I completely forgot about it. Of course pendragon1 would say that I deliberately left it out to shill for the game. But then why didn't I leave out the other negatives I mentioned that are more subjective? If I was shilling it would make more sense to omit subjective issues and not objective ones.
The autoaim issue I did not experience because I turned off auto-aim completely at the start of the game.

giving it a 10/10, 5/5 or 100% means its perfect.
ive been arguing the same thing the whole time, through all the attacks and accusations, that i dont buy the perfect 10/10. you guys keep trying to twist it.
I told you already what it means when I give a 10/10 score. Now you're just trying to assert creative control over me, because you don't like how I score games.
Which is fully academic as I didn't even give the game a damned 10/10 score. I said that I'm beginning to lean that way. But my review is still up with the 9/10 score and I don't think I'll change it retroactively that would be unfair. That was my first impression and I stand by it.

I told you already what it means when I give a 10/10 score. Now you're just trying to assert creative control over me, because you don't like how I score games.
Which is fully academic as I didn't even give the game a damned 10/10 score. I said that I'm beginning to lean that way. But my review is still up with the 9/10 score and I don't think I'll change it retroactively that would be unfair. That was my first impression and I stand by it.
again, more accusations and claims.
show me where i questioned your 9/10? bet you cant.
youve listed several problems that others are having yet people still claim its a perfect 10/10 game, its bullshit.
you seem to be taking this awfully personally for some reason.
edit: "you guys" was a generalisation, not direct at you alone.

youve listed several problems that others are having yet people still claim its a perfect 10/10 game, its bullshit.

You continually ignore the fact that no one is calling this game perfect. Literally NO ONE. At this point it just seems like you're trolling because it's been explained to you multiple times that a 10/10 != a "perfect" game, because we all agree there is not such thing as a truly perfect, flawless in every way game.

Also stop with the patronizing "why are you taking this so personally" bullshit because 1) you're attacking people's subjective opinions and 2) calling people shills for rating the game at the high end of a review scale (I'm just going to stop calling it "10 out of 10" because it literally doesn't matter, it could be 5/5 or A+ or whatever the fuck rating system you want that includes a clear high end and low end.)

Reactions: M76
like this
You continually ignore the fact that no one is calling this game perfect. Literally NO ONE. At this point it just seems like you're trolling because it's been explained to you multiple times that a 10/10 != a "perfect" game, because we all agree there is not such thing as a truly perfect, flawless in every way game.

Also stop with the patronizing "why are you taking this so personally" bullshit because 1) you're attacking people's subjective opinions and 2) calling people shills for rating the game at the high end of a review scale (I'm just going to stop calling it "10 out of 10" because it literally doesn't matter, it could be 5/5 or A+ or whatever the fuck rating system you want that includes a clear high end and low end.)
lol 10/10 does mean perfect, not sure where you learned it isnt. i wasnt directing anything at anyone yet someone was taking it personally, so i asked why. now you seem to be.

lol 10/10 does mean perfect, not sure where you learned it isnt. i wasnt directing anything at anyone yet someone was taking it personally, so i asked why. now you seem to be.

ok you guys can cling to your 10/10 but with flaws, totally legit. yup im whining all right. :rolleyes:
at least im not shilling for it.

That's directed even if somewhat passively aggressively.

again, more accusations and claims.
show me where i questioned your 9/10? bet you cant.
edit: "you guys" was a generalisation, not direct at you alone.
You made up an arbitrary rule in your head about what a 10/10 score means, and then question others for not adhering to that rule.
Despite of the fact that we explained to you that nobody here (and elsewhere) thinks that a 10/10 game is literally flawless.

Again, when you review a game you can score it on a scale where the highest mark is unattainable if you want.

The whole argument is pointless, I don't know what do you want and where are you going with this.
You can't force us to change our definition of a 10/10 game. And even if you did change the definition of what a 10/10 is, that won't make the game any less impressive to me. Whether I call it a 9 an 8 or an infinity it earned a place among my top10 of all time greatest games.

You don't have to be woke to be impressed by this.

Last edited:
I actually thought the critical drinker would give a fair review. Well he kept that charade up for about 1 minute in a 27 minute video.

I actually thought the critical drinker would give a fair review. Well he kept that charade up for about 1 minute in a 27 minute video.

you stated earlier that reviews are subjective but yet you continue to discount ones which don't agree with your impressions that the game is a 9 or higher...in your comment about ACG's review you said: "Wait for sale is the worst advice that can be given about this game"...how can you say that his subjective review is the worst advice?...he didn't hate the game...he just had some valid issues as far as gameplay...you're trying to get everyone to feel the exact same way that you do about the game

Last edited:
you stated earlier that reviews are subjective but yet you continue to discount ones which don't agree with your impressions that the game is a 9 or higher...
TLDR: Yuck, Ellie is gay! Yuck, Abby looks like a man! - you start your review like that you loose all credibility instantly

Well he started the review by dumping on the fact that Ellie is gay, pretending that this is a new development that nobody expected, and basically his entire video is a running joke about it. Then went on to call Abby a "theoretical woman", I don't think he had a single intention of being fair.
I don't discount the issues with the game, it's the exact opposite. They discount everything that is good about the game because they are unable to accept gayness and the fact that the story doesn't go as they wanted to. And the fact that for once in their lifetime a female hero is not designed to pander to their lowest common denominator definition of beauty.
If anything the reviews that think these are the main issues in the game say more about their creator then the game. And even more about their audience who gobble up the hate.
Many people who played the game did mention that they didn't like Abby's look, fair enough, but they didn't do a temper tantrum and dump on the game because of it. In a fair review Ellie being gay and Abby being muscular would be not the main attractions and source of running jokes. This "review" is clearly designed to pander to the haters already existing preconceptions.

in your comment about ACG's review you said: "Wait for sale is the worst advice that can be given about this game"...how can you say that his subjective review is the worst advice?...he didn't hate the game...he just had some valid issues as far as gameplay...you're trying to get everyone to feel the exact same way that you do about the game
I said "wait for sale" is a terrible advice. Not discounting the entire review, or the issues he found, just the final conclusion. But I Explained this already why are you ignoring it? I see actual people's reactions to the game at other places too, and based on that, you either love the game which means waiting for a sale is pointless, you'll be well rewarded for your investment. And if you fall into the hater group you'll hate it just as much a year from now for $30, so you might as well skip it altogether. But I have to stress this again. The number of people who have played the game and hated it is tiny compared to those who liked it. And I'm actually surprised by that, but that is an undeniable fact. So even if I didn't play the game myself I'd have to conclude that the negative reviews are not representative.

Last edited:
I said "wait for sale" is a terrible advice. Not discounting the entire review, or the issues he found, just the final conclusion...

that makes no sense...the final conclusion of 'Wait for Sale' is based on his impressions of the game...he didn't just come up with his conclusion out of thin air...he has issues with the gameplay and story...so you are discounting his entire review by saying his wait for sale recommendation is not valid and is 'terrible advice'

and once again you're falling into the trope of labeling something as a 10 or 0 (love vs hate)...there are plenty of degrees in between...if a game is a 7 or an 8 some people might not want to pay full price hence the wait for sale recommendation is valid

that makes no sense...the final conclusion of 'Wait for Sale' is based on his impressions of the game...he didn't just come up with his conclusion out of thin air...he has issues with the gameplay and story...so you are discounting his entire review by saying his wait for sale recommendation is not valid and is 'terrible advice'

and once again you're falling into the trope of labeling something as a 10 or 0 (love vs hate)...there are plenty of degrees in between...if a game is a 7 or an 8 some people might not want to pay full price hence the wait for sale recommendation is valid
You keep accusing me of the same thing over and over again. It won't make it suddenly true.

You are accusing me of not having a middle ground when it is clear you are the one who actually thinks that only a 9-10 game is worth full price. That's ridiculous. And I said this already before. I can see even a 7/10 score as fair to this game, I have no problem with that. I take issue with what some people base their main criticism of the game on. And with ACG the only thing I said that the wait for sale advice is bad. That's IT! Do I have to submit it in brae to get it through to you? How is that me wanting the game to be a 10 for everyone? When I didn't give it a 10 myself. LOL.

i got plat couple days ago..
"if i ever were to lose you, i'd surely lose myself" and boy Ellie surely did. She lost everything in the end.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
i got plat couple days ago..
"if i ever were to lose you, i'd surely lose myself" and boy Ellie surely did. She lost everything in the end.
She still have Jackson to go back to, plus a ton of friends there, including Tommy, and probably Dina, even if they can't be together. So definitely not everything. Who lost everything in this is Abby

She still have Jackson to go back to, plus a ton of friends there, including Tommy, and probably Dina, even if they can't be together. So definitely not everything. Who lost everything in this is Abby
this might be wrong but Ellie probably never got along with folks in Jackson with exception of Jesse and Dina? if so i'm sure it got worse after leaving Jackson. I'm not sure about Dina (she did say she can't do this anymore but Ellie finally let it go so maybe) but Tommy would never forgive Ellie when he finds out she let Abby go. Abby still has Lev + Catalina island

this might be wrong but Ellie probably never got along with folks in Jackson with exception of Jesse and Dina? if so i'm sure it got worse after leaving Jackson. I'm not sure about Dina (she did say she can't do this anymore but Ellie finally let it go so maybe) but Tommy would never forgive Ellie when he finds out she let Abby go. Abby still has Lev + Catalina island
I don't know, it was never really explored how she got along with the rest, you're right about Tommy I didn't think of that. I'm also not sure about catalina island, if it's real or was just a ruse, the guy on the radio sounded awfully like they were fooling, and Abby seemed like a naive girl at that point falling for it.
But that's what's great about it, there are almost as many interpretations of it as there are players. Somehow it manages to talk on a personal level to everyone.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back