The Last of Us: Part II

Tell that to the people on the hype train for star citizen. I said it then also, that they announced the game too early. I think 12 months should be the norm. Besides cd projekt red is more guilty of this with cyberpunk, the first teaser for it was released in 2013, so 7 years ago!

The Star Citizen example did occur to me, but that one's a bit different: Chris Roberts decided early on that not ever releasing the game is part of the business model. The only way Star Citizen is getting a proper release is when the pre-orders and ship sales dry up enough for them to put a game on the (virtual) shelves, and even then it's dubious what a final product would look like.

Last of Us 2 was just delayed for various (good and not so good reasons), but Naughty Dog always was aiming to release it.

The game apparently went gold yesterday and was submitted for pressing. So, that's good news. We're also getting a trailer tomorrow per ND's twitter.

Still probably going to pass on picking this up for now. I want to know if it's coming to PC (unlikely to be confirmed any time soon), and I want to know how Sony is going to handle this title on PS5. Is it going to be compatible (almost certainly yes, but I want to hear it)? Will it have an updated version (and if so, will it require a separate purchase)?

I expect we'll have a lot more details about PS5 by mid-June, as that takes us beyond when E3 would have happened. I'm expecting May and June to be big hype up months for the next consoles.

The game apparently went gold yesterday and was submitted for pressing. So, that's good news. We're also getting a trailer tomorrow per ND's twitter.

Still probably going to pass on picking this up for now. I want to know if it's coming to PC (unlikely to be confirmed any time soon), and I want to know how Sony is going to handle this title on PS5. Is it going to be compatible (almost certainly yes, but I want to hear it)? Will it have an updated version (and if so, will it require a separate purchase)?

I expect we'll have a lot more details about PS5 by mid-June, as that takes us beyond when E3 would have happened. I'm expecting May and June to be big hype up months for the next consoles.

I'm avoiding their twitter as that's where I seen the one spoiler. Thanks for letting me know! I'm excited to see the new trailer.

Also, I said it before, I'm assuming that when the PS5 comes out, they'll patch all games to be "PS5 enhanced" like PS4 games got patched when the pro came out.

I'm avoiding their twitter as that's where I seen the one spoiler. Thanks for letting me know! I'm excited to see the new trailer.

Also, I said it before, I'm assuming that when the PS5 comes out, they'll patch all games to be "PS5 enhanced" like PS4 games got patched when the pro came out.

I'm expecting the same. Not necessarily because they want to (everyone loves the double dip and Sony got away with a few on PS4), but I think Microsoft is going to set a precedent here. They've been touting for months that their first party titles will be enhanced and any first party game purchased on XO will carry over to XSX, and they even have a few third party titles doing the same.

MS's anti consumer agenda at the beginning of last gen handed Sony a major win. Both companies saw the immense damage that can be done by being the less consumer friendly product. MS has made huge strides to correct that, and Sony would be daft to ignore it. If MS is giving people free upgrades, Sony all but has to.

I just want to hear them say it first.

If you want to find out we have a thread going in Soapbox because it's impossible to discuss while avoiding politics.
https://hardforum.com/threads/last-of-us-2-leaks-spoilers.1995883/

It really isn't. The bad parts of the leak have nothing at all to do with politics or anything like that. People just want any excuse to scream about "da SJW are ruining mah vidia gamez" when something bad deals with women. If the genders were different it would still be bad.

MS's anti consumer agenda at the beginning of last gen handed Sony a major win. Both companies saw the immense damage that can be done by being the less consumer friendly product.

Glad some people remember MSFT's attempt to force Xbox users to always be online to play. Never forget.

Glad some people remember MSFT's attempt to force Xbox users to always be online to play. Never forget.

While it's good to remember, it is also important to keep in mind that there is completely different leadership running the show now. MS fucked up, big time, then pivoted away and turned the XB1 into the most consumer-friendly (as much as anything can be called that these days) console platform on the market. I don't see them moving too far away from that next generation, they really can't afford to if the people in charge want to keep their jobs.

It is like a cycle. One crushes one gen then totally gets cocky and drops the ball next gen while the comp does everything right. Sony looks like they fumbling it out the gate this time.

TRAILER TRIGGER WARNING @ 34 seconds! Can video games just go back to being non-inclusive and ignoring sensitive topics? 😰 /s

Is that what people that looked at the leaked material were complaining about?

TRAILER TRIGGER WARNING @ 34 seconds! Can video games just go back to being non-inclusive and ignoring sensitive topics? 😰 /s

Is that what people that looked at the leaked material were complaining about?

No, a semi-rape scene happened in the first one.

Trailer dropped. Comments are off on the video so you own't see any spoilers in the comments.

The game looks amazing. I don't know how or why everyone has their panties in a bunch. It looks like it's going to be brutal.

looks great...seems way more action packed then the 1st game which had a lot of slow moments

Trailer dropped. Comments are off on the video so you own't see any spoilers in the comments.

The game looks amazing. I don't know how or why everyone has their panties in a bunch. It looks like it's going to be brutal.

I'm just gonna be blunt, anyone who says otherwise has their head WAY up their asshole.

No, a semi-rape scene happened in the first one.

I didn't even assume rape in that scene when it was shown in a previous trailer, it just seemed like they were restraining her to make her witness them killing someone close to Ellie in that scene, nor did I in the first game when David was about to kill Ellie, which I guess some interpreted as her about to be raped.

I guess she does say "he tried to.." after killing him, but it seems she could have just as likely said "kill" rather than "rape".

I'm just gonna be blunt, anyone who says otherwise has their head WAY up their asshole.

Yes, how dare people form their own opinions. They must only follow the hive mind and like the same things everyone else does. /s

The only people with heads "WAY up their assholes" are the people that refuse to accept that other opinions can exist and are valid.

I didn't even assume rape in that scene when it was shown in a previous trailer, it just seemed like they were restraining her to make her witness them killing someone close to Ellie in that scene, nor did I in the first game when David was about to kill Ellie, which I guess some interpreted as her about to be raped.

I guess she does say "he tried to.." after killing him, but it seems she could have just as likely said "kill" rather than "rape".

Agreed, I didn't think the scene in this trailer was rape at all. There are three hands on Ellie, they're just trying to hold her down. As for the first game, I felt that it alluded that he was going to rape her if he knocked her out, But It was left open ended.

Yes, how dare people form their own opinions. They must only follow the hive mind and like the same things everyone else does. /s

The only people with heads "WAY up their assholes" are the people that refuse to accept that other opinions can exist and are valid.

I dunno, it's kinda like that user who goes around exclaiming how terrible Witcher 3 is. At some point some opinions are just objectively wrong. lol

It's a joke, please don't be triggered.

That was the purpose though; it was left for open interpretation for those with out-of-the-box thinking.

They're releasing a few making of videos leading up to the game's release:

The Last of Us Part II is by far the largest and most ambitious game we’ve ever made and there will be so much for you to dig into when it arrives on June 19th. Leading up to launch, we’re releasing a brand new series of videos breaking down key aspects of the game. Each video will feature interviews with members of our team as we discuss the design, technology, and ideas that have shaped the development of our game over the last six years.

We’re kicking things off by taking a closer look at the story in The Last of Us Part II, including some of the core themes we’re exploring, a glimpse into Ellie and Joel’s life in Jackson, and how we’re broadening the world and cast of characters. Don’t worry, we’re keeping all episodes spoiler-free and there will be so much more for you to dig into on June 19th! Check it out:

From here on out, we’ll be releasing new videos every week for the next three weeks. Here’s what to expect and when:

• May 13th: Inside the Story
  • May 20th: Inside the Gameplay
  • May 27th: Inside the Details
  • June 3rd: Inside the World
We look forward to sharing more in the weeks to come! Enjoy!

Looks like review copies have already went out and the embargo lifts on June 12th, so we'll see the flood of reviews hit that first second into the day at midnight.

I'm still pretty excited to play it. Took the day off Friday to start playing it immediately and hopefully beat it over the weekend.

Looks like review copies have already went out and the embargo lifts on June 12th, so we'll see the flood of reviews hit that first second into the day at midnight.

I was surprised when I read that review copies were sent out so soon- 3 weeks before launch...usually copies are sent about a week prior to release...either the game is really long or Sony just wants people to take their time and finish the game prior to writing up a review

Last edited:
I was surprised when I read that review copies were sent out so soon- 3 weeks before launch...usually copies are sent about a week prior to release...either the game is really long or Sony just wants people to take their time and finish the game prior to writing up a review

Also, with the embargo lifting before the release, they don't think it'll be a turd.

Reactions: T4rd
like this

Well the game went gold 3 weeks ago now and I'm sure they want to negate as much of the negative press its received so far with good and thorough reviews now. Of course that only works if they actually deliver on the initial expectations of the game, but I'm relatively confident that they will, if not really hopeful they do.

Well the game went gold 3 weeks ago now and I'm sure they want to negate as much of the negative press its received so far with good and thorough reviews now. Of course that only works if they actually deliver on the initial expectations of the game, but I'm relatively confident that they will, if not really hopeful they do.

What negative press did it receive? Something about the "crunch" / harsh working conditions?

What negative press did it receive? Something about the "crunch" / harsh working conditions?

Well yeah there was the crunch news that was fairly overblown IMO, as that's an issue that affects virtually ever other game studio and I'm sure ND wasn't immune to it for previous games as well.

They got way more heat after some of the game/story was leaked a month or so ago and there was a lot of controversy about a trans-gender person being in the game and how they handled one/some of the main characters from the original game in this one. I've managed to avoid most of the leaks so far, so I'm trying to go into the game with an open and untainted mind before I determine the leaks were even accurate and what was so controversial about them. Because from what I've read too, the leaked content was from a pretty early stage of the game and may have been changed considerably in the final product.

Uh oh, a trans character? Here we fucking go with the stupid controversy.

It's been a while since we had a AAA game for the world to shit on ad nauseum. I think the last one was probably Fallout 76? I have a feeling TLoU2 will be the next one. Note that I'm not saying it would be deserving of it.

It's been a while since we had a AAA game for the world to shit on ad nauseum. I think the last one was probably Fallout 76? I have a feeling TLoU2 will be the next one. Note that I'm not saying it would be deserving of it.

Fallout 76 got a lot of controversy? The most I heard was it was glitchy and had a lack of players.

The Last of Us part 2 is going to be great. So what if there's a trans character?

The ONLY thing I'm hesitant about is the dogs, I don't wanna kill dogs, even virtually.

Fallout 76 got a lot of controversy? The most I heard was it was glitchy and had a lack of players.

The Last of Us part 2 is going to be great. So what if there's a trans character?

The ONLY thing I'm hesitant about is the dogs, I don't wanna kill dogs, even virtually.

Yar, it got crapped on for being buggy and lacking content (though I hear it's quite good now).

Not sure how the TLOU2 controversy will play out (or if it's even as big as the story leak critics claim it will be). I think if the game ends up being excellent, any criticism about a trans character or 'agenda' will fade away. If they go full Disney Star Wars with the franchise, then we might see a decent rage storm.

Wolf3D has long hardened me to killing virtual dogs. Wolf3D took away my innocence in that regard.

go check out the soapbox thread....
ps: killing the dogs is optional.

Yar, it got crapped on for being buggy and lacking content (though I hear it's quite good now).

Not sure how the TLOU2 controversy will play out (or if it's even as big as the story leak critics claim it will be). I think if the game ends up being excellent, any criticism about a trans character or 'agenda' will fade away. If they go full Disney Star Wars with the franchise, then we might see a decent rage storm.

Wolf3D has long hardened me to killing virtual dogs. Wolf3D took away my innocence in that regard.

Lol! The Wolf3D dogs were different. Even the original Medal of Honor was fine on PS1.

In TLoU2 I'll do it, I won't like it, but, I'll do it if I have to.

State of Play Last of Us Part 2 deep dive

Over the course of this nearly 25 minute episode, Neil Druckmann, Director of The Last of Us Part II, will provide an extensive look at the gameplay, threats, and world of the game ahead of its release on June 19th on PS4...to cap it all off, he’ll introduce a never-before-seen extended gameplay sequence to close out the show...and no, there won’t be any PS5 news or updates in this episode, just a deep dive into the world of The Last of Us Part II...

the game looks amazing!

Last edited:
Dang, that State of Play got me pumped. Anyone else replaying TLoU to recap it before this launches? I'm planning to.

Dang, that State of Play got me pumped. Anyone else replaying TLoU to recap it before this launches? I'm planning to.

I'm doing more than just TLoU 1, I'm doing a playthrough of Uncharted 1-4, then TLoU, and if I timed it right, I should be done in time for TLoU2

I'm about to finish U2 and start on U3.

I'm debating about picking up The Lost Legacy. I haven't played that one yet.

I'm doing more than just TLoU 1, I'm doing a playthrough of Uncharted 1-4, then TLoU, and if I timed it right, I should be done in time for TLoU2

Nice, I like the way you think.

so you're doing the complete Naughty Dog Collection playthrough!...that's real commitment right there

Hah, I've been wanting to replay the Uncharted games too, but not sure I'd have time for that before TLoU 2 is out. Lost Legacy is most definitely worth picking up. It wasn't nearly as long as Uncharted 4 and its story wasn't as deep either, but its a nice standalone side story and it was cool that Nathan's brother, Sam, tags along for the 2nd half or so.

Back