The Last of Us: Part II

Why in the world are people watching 25 and 31 minute videos ranting about or praising a game? Either go play it or don't.

Why in the world are people watching 25 and 31 minute videos ranting about or praising a game? Either go play it or don't.
TLDR: Echo chambers.

People like hearing their own opinion recited back to them.

And I think the video creators know this well. Why are there no videos listing both the negatives and the positives? Because that doesn't sell.

TLDR: Echo chambers.

People like hearing their own opinion recited back to them.

And I think the video creators know this well. Why are there no videos listing both the negatives and the positives? Because that doesn't sell.

I had it on in the background while I was doing some work. I wouldn't of watched the whole thing if I was actually paying attention, lol. Even though the audio quality was a little poor, I was able to hear throughout the video he does list both positives and negatives.

I watched the first couple minutes of the gaming sins video, and, the dude doesn't do his research. He brought up how a Pearl Jam album came out a month after the outbreak in real life.
They played the song two months before the outbreak, so Joel could have very well heard the song, I stopped watching after that.

I watched the first couple minutes of the gaming sins video, and, the dude doesn't do his research. He brought up how a Pearl Jam album came out a month after the outbreak in real life.
They played the song two months before the outbreak, so Joel could have very well heard the song, I stopped watching after that.
Oh, no such a mistake would've ruined the entire game :-D

That part he did sin wrong, but the rest is gold! And genetically speaking, one can't memorize the song by hearing it on a concert..maybe the melody, but joel sang the lyrics too.

1594745750337.png

It was on youtube. Joel could of listened to it a lot before the outbreak.
Throughout the game, they have the capability to play music electronically.

With 25 years of looting, there's a possibility he found it ripped to an .mp3 player and can listen to it whenever he wants.

early reviews on Ghost of Tsushima have it as the best game of the year if not one of the best games of this generation...a few weeks after release and LoU2 has already been surpassed

Last edited:

I've watched many of them, as well as listened to TLoU Podcast and a few 1-2 hour long Spoilercasts about the game as well. I'm just really interested in the making of the game, the lore, and individual interpretations and discoveries about the game. It's one of my favorite games of the gen already and it's still new, so I'm enjoying a lot of the content and conversations surrounding it.

early reviews on Ghost of Tsushima have it as the best game of the year if not one of the best games of this generation...a few weeks after release and LoU2 has already been surpassed
Somehow I doubt it. I have a feeling that this is a result of a rebounding of the "fandom menace".

Edit: There is some definite cognitive disonnance going on. As I watch review footage and the speaker says it's nothing like Assassin's Creed, but the footage shows that it is exactly like I'd imagine Assassin's Creed: Samurai.

Last edited:
I think the Ghost of Tsushima will suffer from Samurai-game burnout.

Nioh, Nioh 2, and Sekiro. That's enough for me. I don't need another one.

Nioh and Sekiro came out 12+ months ago...only Nioh 2 is really competing with it (and still not available on PC) and Tsushima is getting universal praise and might end up being one of the Top 3 games of the current console generation...what does 'don't need' another one even mean?...you don't 'need' another great game which might be right up there with Sekiro as far as quality (with a lower difficulty curve)?

makes zero sense...do you also not need another From Software game like Elden Ring because there are already tons of those already available?...sounds like a personal issue with the developer or something else if you already have a PS4 and as a fan of the genre refuse to get Tsushima

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Nioh and Sekiro came out 12+ months ago...only Nioh 2 is really competing with it (and still not available on PC) and Tsushima is getting universal praise and might end up being one of the Top 3 games of the current console generation...what does 'don't need' another one even mean?...you don't 'need' another great game which might be right up there with Sekiro as far as quality (with a lower difficulty curve)?

makes zero sense...do you also not need another From Software game like Elden Ring because there are already tons of those already available?...sounds like a personal issue with the developer or something else if you already have a PS4 and as a fan of the genre refuse to get Tsushima

It's not just the gameplay style (which looks closer to Assassin's Creed than Sekiro or Nioh), but also the setting. I don't find it compelling at all. I'm clearly not alone as I've got 2 friends who saw the commercial during the UFC and both commented "Another Samurai game? Sony loves cranking these things out." 4 "epic" Samurai games that look awfully similar to one another (at least on the surface) in 3 years is a lot. Especially with no gameplay footage in the ad. It looks just like the other ones. Unless you're a fan of that period, it's getting pretty stale.

This is kind of getting out of hand now, wouldn't it be better to discuss Tsushima in its own topic?

It's not just the gameplay style (which looks closer to Assassin's Creed than Sekiro or Nioh), but also the setting. I don't find it compelling at all. I'm clearly not alone as I've got 2 friends who saw the commercial during the UFC and both commented "Another Samurai game? Sony loves cranking these things out." 4 "epic" Samurai games that look awfully similar to one another (at least on the surface) in 3 years is a lot. Especially with no gameplay footage in the ad. It looks just like the other ones. Unless you're a fan of that period, it's getting pretty stale.

the review embargo for Tsushima lifted yesterday...you should look at some reviews...it's getting very high praise for its art style and gameplay

LoU2 discussion died out quick...Abby crushed it with her muscular hands
I know for people who are used to getting what they want it's hard to accept the concept of Abby, and even harder to accept that some people like her. But you are only demeaning yourself with these attempts at riling me up. I'm not ashamed for liking her, so you need to change tactics if your goal is to upset me :p

like this
So apparently the woke left is upset with the game as well, because it is anti Palestine?

http://archive.is/6HtTH

I bet nobody sane has drawn the conclusion that the Seraphites are Palestinians, and the Wolves are representing the Israelis.

BTW Hey, what happened to that last post? Was it moderated out, or did polonyc2 realize the errors of his ways?

So apparently the woke left is upset with the game as well, because it is anti Palestine?

http://archive.is/6HtTH

I bet nobody sane has drawn the conclusion that the Seraphites are Palestinians, and the Wolves are representing the Israelis.

BTW Hey, what happened to that last post? Was it moderated out, or did polonyc2 realize the errors of his ways?

Hah, so because Druckman is from Isreal, the game has to be tied to Israeli conflicts.. brilliant. :rolleyes: He should do the same article for Uncharted 4 and Lost Lecacy as well then since Druckmann worked on those as well.

Polony's post was modded out since I don't think you can delete your posts outright like that.

At this point it seems like everyone is upset with TLoU2 for things that are "hidden in plain site." I feel like I need to dig around and find more underlying things within it that should piss me off.

Reactions: M76
like this

it's one of the great mysteries in life on the level of the the Grassy Knoll and the disappearance of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370

At this point it seems like everyone is upset with TLoU2 for things that are "hidden in plain site." I feel like I need to dig around and find more underlying things within it that should piss me off.
Yeah, I don't know why are we such gullible fools to take the game at face value, we should be digging for agendas and hidden messages.

like this
I feel like I need to dig around and find more underlying things within it that should piss me off.

Welcome to leftist ideology. Please leave any critical thought and positivity at the door.

it's one of the great mysteries in life on the level of the the Grassy Knoll and the disappearance of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
I'll let you in on another thing that seems to be a mystery to you: Just because I find women with muscles attractive, doesn't mean I find all women with muscles attractive, you get that right?
Years (decades?) of steroid abuse and hormone treatment are especially unattractive. It's funny that there are about 3 or 4 pictures on the internet that always come up, when people like yourself try to represent muscular wamen as ugly freaks.
Well, there are those freaks, but they are neither typical nor common.

After ‘The Last Of Us Part 2’ Insanity, Metacritic Has Changed User Score Submissions

Metacritic is now making users wait more than 36 hours after release to start posting reviews, deeming that “adequate” time to believably play the game...this, of course, was inspired by the recent release of The Last of Us Part 2, where players used user scores to wage a proxy war on the game and sink its score to the low 3/10s right at release...the game currently has more user scores than any other in history by an enormous margin as a result of this ongoing back and forth between detractors and champions

many people say this isn’t enough...some are asking for Metacritic to go a step further and actually verify that you’ve played the game if you’re submitting a review for it, through some sort of purchase confirmation via linking your Metacritic account to your PSN or Xbox or Steam profile or something...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-changes-user-score-submissions/#371d626e3814

I assume a lot of people will have their panties in a bunch and cry censorship. I'd actually support verified purchases, this doesn't make much sense, apart from letting genuinely crap games get a head start. The bombing will still happen just a day or two later.

Wait a minute... you're telling me the Metacritic user average wasn't legit? I don't believe you. Continue.

All games have trophies/achievements for when you beat a game. I'm down for that.

I don't need to play a game for 30 hours in order to know if it sucks or not

What kind of logic is that ?

For this game, you pretty much do. Since the gameplay, graphics, sound, and (accessibility) features are pretty objectively good, the only subjective part is the story and you have to see the whole thing before you can judge it and people are weighing that in their review bombs way more than any other criteria. It's basically the same as rating/reviewing a movie before you watch it all.

Which of course there are some exceptionally bad movies too that can all but force you to stop before it's finished or games that have technical issues/bugs that keep you from playing, but those are exceptions to the rule and I don't think you should be publishing a review for any game or movie without experiencing everything the creators intended you to see. Especially in the case for any AAA game like this where you see such a discrepancy between user and critic reviews and also a flood of review bombs simply due to some political or perceived controversial story element(s).

the new Metacritic review system is not necessarily going to make people play the game for 30 hours...it just means people can't post any reviews for the first 2 days or so...so people can still review bomb the game- they just have to wait an extra 2 days...Metacritic should have a 'Verified' badge for people who have actually played the game...anyone can still post but the Verified badge will give more weight to those who actually own the game

Reactions: M76
like this
No and no, there are no requirements to have an opinion. That's what user scores are, opinions. Don't trust user scores? Use critic scores

No and no, there are no requirements to have an opinion. That's what user scores are, opinions. Don't trust user scores? Use critic scores

Sure there are requirements, if you want your opinion to be valid at all, like owning the product you're reviewing. Which is why most online retailers like Amazon let you filter out non-verified owners of said product. Having an opinion about something is fine too, but going out of your way to publish one online for a product you don't own defeats the point of reviewing it and completely invalidates it. Any site is well within their rights to put their requirements on publishing your opinion as well, as they should to counter these invalid review bombs as much as possible.

Last edited:

You don't need to play it for 30 hours, but not playing it at all is not gonna cut it. I'm sorry, but your word should have no weight about a product you only heard of in hearsay.

Back