Last of Us: Part II officially revealed

Domingo

Fully [H]
Yeah, manual saves aren't that great if you're actually looking to save your game and quit. They're much better if you're at a crossroads and are pretty sure one path leads to a new section while another leads to gear. Autosaves will put you back at the beginning of the new area (so you miss out) while a manual save will keep you in the area prior. You might be all the way back at the beginning of that area, but at least you won't miss out on anything if you're a completionist. Ditto if you use up a shitload of your resources in a fight.

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
One last battle, Colonel Sanders and/or M76 .

maxresdefault.jpg

How come ellie sets off clickers and bloatware and other infected? I mean this has been bugging me since the first one. If they don't attack each other, technically she's infected too. I know she's immune and all that, but surely they could sense infection if they sense each other?

One other thing, how come Joel never had sex with ellie? For the sake of humanity! Imagine if she gave birth to immune kid? I'd be down for that if I were immune and it was pandemic. Unless of course there's a chance of carrying a bloater(mini bloater?) Brr, cnt imagine giving birth to that..😵😵

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
One last battle, Colonel Sanders and/or M76 .

View attachment 257438

How come ellie sets off clickers and bloatware and other infected? I mean this has been bugging me since the first one. If they don't attack each other, technically she's infected too. I know she's immune and all that, but surely they could sense infection if they sense each other?

One other thing, how come Joel never had sex with ellie? For the sake of humanity! Imagine if she gave birth to immune kid? I'd be down for that if I were immune and it was pandemic. Unless of course there's a chance of carrying a bloater(mini bloater?) Brr, cnt imagine giving birth to that..😵😵
I just assumed it's because Ellie's infection never grew beyond a certain point (due to being immune) so the fungus in other infected people just senses a normal uninfected person. Or it could be that the "strain" of fungus she was infected with was a mutated version which is actually why she's immune (IIRC this was mentioned somewhere in the first game but don't hold me to that.)

Not even going to waste my time answering the second question when the answer is obvious.

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Sorry to rattle your chains with that second one, Colonel Sanders , but the game does tackle(if unintentionally), that middle eastern...

[" ...marriage style. Remember the part when Owen tells Abby to come with them to Santa Barbara and they can find a way to be 'happy'. Don't remember the exact wording, but it appears he was implying on having mel as his wife and abby as his 'second wife'...? It did feel weird a bit?"]

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
That Last Of Us Part 2 Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

ACG's verdict: Wait for a Sale

are you going to discount his review now that he didn't gush over the game?

T4rd already beat the game and made his opinion clear... what is he supposed to do, change his opinion now?

polonyc2

Fully [H]
T4rd already beat the game and made his opinion clear... what is he supposed to do, change his opinion now?
you guys are way too defensive about the game...relax...it seems like a great game...just because everyone doesn't think it's 10/10 doesn't mean it's a bad game...I've said it multiple times, but the internet culture nowadays is everything either has to be a 10 or a 0...there is no in between...but in reality you can give a game an 8 and it's still a great game

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
you guys are way too defensive about the game...relax...it seems like a great game...just because everyone doesn't think it's 10/10 doesn't mean it's a bad game...I've said it multiple times, but the internet culture nowadays is everything either has to be a 10 or a 0...there is no in between...but in reality you can give a game an 8 and it's still a great game
Of course, I have never said otherwise. But you're acting like T4rd should change his opinion now because a reviewer he likes gave a mixed review. I am not "defending the game" in this moment, I just find it puzzling why you keep coming back here to sprinkle some negative/mixed thoughts or reactions about the game and ignore all the positive ones.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Of course, I have never said otherwise. But you're acting like T4rd should change his opinion now because a reviewer he likes gave a mixed review. I am not "defending the game" in this moment, I just find it puzzling why you keep coming back here to sprinkle some negative/mixed thoughts or reactions about the game and ignore all the positive ones.
what negative thoughts?...I've said multiple times that I think I'm going to like the game a lot...T4rd said he was waiting for ACG's review...so I'm wondering if he's going to change his mind about ACG after reading his review...I think he was expecting ACG to love it as much as him...stop being such a diehard fanboy and looking at everyone and everything that doesn't give the game a 10 as hate

so you only want me to post 10/10 reviews and everything else (even from respected reviewers) is seen as hate?

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
what negative thoughts?...I've said multiple times that I think I'm going to like the game a lot...T4rd said he was waiting for ACG's review...so I'm wondering if he's going to change his mind about ACG after reading his review...I think he was expecting ACG to love it as much as him...stop being such a diehard fanboy and looking at everyone and everything that doesn't give the game a 10 as hate

so you only want me to post 10/10 reviews and everything else (even from respected reviewers) is seen as hate?
Dude, are you kidding me... I am NOT saying "all non-10 out of 10 reviews are unacceptable" FFS!!! You're doing the exact opposite, if you DO like the game that much somehow you're a blind fanboy. Why the fuck can't we just accept someone's opinion (aside from idiotic review bombers and trolls...)

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Dude, are you kidding me... I am NOT saying "all non-10 out of 10 reviews are unacceptable" FFS!!! You're doing the exact opposite, if you DO like the game that much somehow you're a blind fanboy. Why the fuck can't we just accept someone's opinion (aside from idiotic review bombers and trolls...)
you are being a fanboy because you want to ignore any and all criticisms of the game (even great games can have flaws)...it's OK if other people don't like the game as much as you do, it doesn't invalidate your opinion...stop looking at criticism as hate or trolls etc...if someone thinks the game is an 8/10 does it really matter all that much?...you're taking things way too personally

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
you are being a fanboy because you want to ignore any and all criticisms of the game (even great games can have flaws)...it's OK if other people don't like the game as much as you do, it doesn't invalidate your opinion...stop looking at criticism as hate or trolls etc...if someone thinks the game is a 9/10 does it really matter all that much?...you're taking things way too personally
Why are you ignoring my posts about the game where I talked about my own criticisms? edit: OK, to be fair I may have hidden them in spoiler tags... so maybe if you skipped those to avoid spoilers, that's why you didn't read them. But trust me they're in there.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Welp, I finally completed the game. The game has more false endings than Lord of the Rings. I thought things were done at least a dozen times only to discover massive sections of the game yet to come.

I'd put myself in the 10/10 group. It's one of those games I'm going to remember in a decade. It's an all-time great at far as I'm concerned. Any complaints I have are pretty minor. It was a wild (and long) ride. My total playtime was 35 hours. Somehow it didn't count one of the workbenches so I didn't get that achievement for some reason. I looked up the list online and I hit 'em all. I can only guess one of my "restart encounter" choices made one not register or something.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
Welp, I finally completed the game. The game has more false endings than Lord of the Rings. I thought things were done at least a dozen times only to discover massive sections of the game yet to come.

I'd put myself in the 10/10 group. It's one of those games I'm going to remember in a decade. It's an all-time great at far as I'm concerned. Any complaints I have are pretty minor. It was a wild (and long) ride. My total playtime was 35 hours. Somehow it didn't count one of the workbenches so I didn't get that achievement for some reason. I looked up the list online and I hit 'em all. I can only guess one of my "restart encounter" choices made one not register or something.
Oh great, another blind fanboy to add to the mix :rolleyes:

:p

I look at it in much the same way... there were parts that I think could've been better (mostly related to pacing, as I felt some scavenging sections dragged on) but the game is so impactful in other ways that I'm still thinking about it every day since I finished it, and started my NG+ already (which is something I almost never do.)

Reactions: M76
like this

Domingo

Fully [H]
I'm thinking about giving NG+ an immediate go myself. I do still want to try out the new Borderlands DLC, but I'm compelled to keep playing TLoU2. Even during the moments when I was curious when it would end, I was still thinking about how I'd approach certain areas differently.

I figure when I do replay things I'll likely use a collectibles guide. I'm honestly curious how many items I missed. I was pretty thorough, but some areas were huge and they could have been dicks hiding cards and coins. I remember at least a few Uncharted treasures borderline required a hint guide.

M76

[H]F Junkie

Yes I will. Wait for sale is the worst advice that can be given about this game.
There is no middle ground here, it is a divisive game due to the obvious things depicted in it. Depending on your disposition you'll either hate it or love it.
Some people clearly wanted something else and are not open minded enough for what the game has done. That's fine, I Have no problem with that.
What I personally take issue with is the people who try to ruin it for the rest of us because they don't like it.

Many hate Abby, fine, but saying the game is therefore a 0/10 or 3/10 or not worth buying for is a ridiculous thing to say. It's like me going around with foaming mouth telling everyone not to buy the witcher 3, because I personally disliked Geralt.

Most people love the Witcher3 and say its the best game ever. I played it for 5 hours and struggled to identify with the character and his motivations so I quit.
The difference is that I Didn't go on every possible forum/outlet thereafter to dump on the game. Saying how it is the worst thing ever, and I didn't start petitions to replace Geralt with someone else in it. (Like for example a well built woman? :D)
And I never questioned the quality, size, complexity and impact of the game, I just concluded it is not for me.

Even if we disregard the story completely in TLOU2 there are plenty of things to gush about. Things that no game has done in this quality or at all before. So in conclusion yes I will discount his review in a heartbeat, because he is giving the worst advice possible.

M76

[H]F Junkie
Actually I changed my mind: The Last of Us II has ruined gaming forever.

Because from now on everything has to contend with this. And will feel flat, uninspired and dull comparatively.

Domingo

Fully [H]
LOL, now that I'm able to go back and read some of the reviews, I'm noticing a decent amount of people saying they lacked resources.
I found myself almost always loaded to the max with the exception of ammo. I'm not sure how the games decides to dish out additional ammo, but I felt like I always got ammo drops when I needed more. The game also intentionally had a bunch laying around in areas with loads of enemies. I guess you might run out if you only like using 1-2 weapons, but I just stuck to whatever I had the most ammo for and did fine. The first 40% of the game I did a lot of stealth kills, but I went Rambo for most of the second half.
What I didn't use much were the improvised weapons like the molotovs and bombs. The bomb traps are super strong/effective, but they force you to do a lot of planning to use them. Something the game doesn't always offer you. Molotovs and fire in general felt weak. Too many enemies survived those for my tastes.

M76

[H]F Junkie
Even I gave the game a 9/10, and I can't stop gushing over it. In my review I mentioned the flaws I found in it and in my spoiler analisis I also mentioned how I'd change the story to be less divisive and more acceptable to me as well.

M76

[H]F Junkie
LOL, now that I'm able to go back and read some of the reviews, I'm noticing a decent amount of people saying they lacked resources.
I found myself almost always loaded to the max with the exception of ammo. I'm not sure how the games decides to dish out additional ammo, but I felt like I always got ammo drops when I needed more. The game also intentionally had a bunch laying around in areas with loads of enemies. I guess you might run out if you only like using 1-2 weapons, but I just stuck to whatever I had the most ammo for and did fine. The first 40% of the game I did a lot of stealth kills, but I went Rambo for most of the second half.
What I didn't use much were the improvised weapons like the molotovs and bombs. The bomb traps are super strong/effective, but they force you to do a lot of planning to use them. Something the game doesn't always offer you. Molotovs and fire in general felt weak. Too many enemies survived those for my tastes.
The lack of resources comes from the lack of carrying capacity. A little larger carrying capacity would've went a long way. Especially for ammo. You find an automatic weapon later in the game and you can have 15 bullets in the mag, and 10 spare? WTF.

pendragon1

Fully [H]

if you have complaints how can it be 10/10?

Domingo

Fully [H]
I literally have complaints about every game. I don't believe "perfect" is possible. A 10/10 is basically as good as something can be, but everything has flaws.
In my life I'd probably give 15 or so games a 10/10 going back to the 80's and I have complaints about all of them.

M76

[H]F Junkie
When I give a points score for a game, I give it to how impressed I was with it. Not based on the minor inconveniences in it.
I gave the game a 9/10, but now after a week I'm starting to come over to the 10/10 side, because I still think about the story a week after finishing it. And people can still point out nuances in it that I missed. That's impressive.

I initially though the rushed ending was a mistake, or lack of development time. Now I think it was perfectly calculated. I wanted to rush the ending, if it would've been longer its impact would've been much smaller. So I think now that the length of the last chapter was calculated and not an accident.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
I literally have complaints about every game. I don't believe "perfect" is possible. A 10/10 is basically as good as something can be, but everything has flaws.
In my life I'd probably give 15 or so games a 10/10 going back to the 80's and I have complaints about all of them.
so its a 9/10

pendragon1

Fully [H]
When I give a points score for a game, I give it to how impressed I was with it. Not based on the minor inconveniences in it.
I gave the game a 9/10, but now after a week I'm starting to come over to the 10/10 side, because I still think about the story a week after finishing it. And people can still point out nuances in it that I missed. That's impressive.

I initially though the rushed ending was a mistake, or lack of development time. Now I think it was perfectly calculated. I wanted to rush the ending, if it would've been longer its impact would've been much smaller. So I think now that the length of the last chapter was calculated and not an accident.
sounds like 10/10 story wise but if you have complaints/inconveniences it shouldnt be an overall 10/10.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
so ignore any flaws as long as the story is good? doesnt work that way, at least not for honest reviews.
We're just getting into semantics of review scores. First of all, you have to ask yourself this question: can a piece of art/media like a game or movie be objectively perfect? If your answer is "yes" then sure, even the tiniest of flaws would disqualify a game from being a 10 out of 10. However I'm pretty sure you would agree (as would virtually everyone else) that no game can be objectively perfect. Therefore, given a common understanding of a review score range between 1 and 10, what is a 10? If you agree no game can be perfect, but you disagree that any game should be a 10, you're basically saying "the best a game can ever be is a 9." So now you've just created a review scale of 1 to 9, where 9 is the absolute best. It's literally the exact same scenario.

I really can't explain it any better than that, if you can't grasp this you're just going to have to agree to disagree.

scojer

Supreme [H]ardness
I think another way you could explain it, is you're just rounding up your score to a 10.

9.0-9.9 = 10

M76

[H]F Junkie
sounds like 10/10 story wise but if you have complaints/inconveniences it shouldnt be an overall 10/10.
When you'll do a review of any game you'll able to score it however you please.

I do it this way:

1. Absolute shit, avoid at all cost
  2. Really bad game, no redeeming value at all
  3. Bad game, that some still might find interesting
  4. Worse than average, has some serious flaws, but still can get some enjoyment out of it
  5. Completely average game, it does what it advertises and nothing more.
  6. Better than average, good quality game, which shines on a few points but nothing extraordinary
  7. Good game, that's well worth playing
  8. Very good game, that's a must have
  9. Great game, that is truly awesome
  10. Ground breaking, genre re-defining, mind-blowing.

my score has nothing to do with whether the game has zero bugs or not or minor inconveniences, or even quirks.

T4rd

Fully [H]

That's still a good review and what I expected from him about it, so why would I discount it? He didn't have any of the complaints you see Pendragon or others whining about here and while I didn't experience any of the technical issues he did (auto-aim issues, AI teammates pushing you out of cover or not being helpful, etc.), he also really thought the most subjective part of the game (the story) "drags on like no other title he can remember in his life" and how the story can "never get going" because it pulls you out to tell another part of the story.. didn't really make sense to me in that respect and I just have to disagree with that part, which is fine and doesn't make me discount his opinion or rating either. I guess he just didn't get pulled into the story in general that was there like I (and many others) did, which is to be expected in games like this that lean on its story more than any other aspect of the game and that may be why you see people who hated the story (for the ones who actually played it at least) rate it like a 3-4 despite it excelling in basically every other area of the game, at least compared to the first game.

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
ok you guys can cling to your 10/10 but with flaws, totally legit. yup im whining all right. :rolleyes:
at least im not shilling for it.
Unfortunately, with that mentality, when we let certain things slide, truly memorable and fabulous games will not be justified by the 10/10 score. The bar is being dragged lower and lower.

We call 10/10 perfect for a reason.

Vegetta, don't damn The God. He has nothing to do with it.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
Unfortunately, with that mentality, when we let certain things slide, truly memorable and fabulous games will not be justified by the 10/10 score. The bar is being dragged lower and lower.

We call 10/10 perfect for a reason.

Vegetta, don't damn The God. He has nothing to do with it.
exactly, if they can names thing wrong with it, its not perfect.