Last of the 2900pro 512bits.... 169.49 shipped

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
We all know these are some smokin lil cards. Especially for their price. Anywho, newegg is out, almost all other etailers I checked are out. Ewiz still has some for 169 shipped though. I bit and bought one since if I can handle the heat and it may end up being as powerful as a 3870 unless I get a dud. Definetly beats a 3850 unless you just cant handle the heat.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-29PRO51

Great card. Easily overclockable to XT speeds, which is the only difference (stream processors and etc are intact).
Would be great in Crossfire also (if the PSU can handle it).

these really beat a 3850? and what do you think the power req will be with xfire? i was thinking about going with two 3850's 512 but if my antec neo he 550 can take xfire, why not go for the cheaper ones.

*accepts ticket on the late bus*

Can somebody link me or explain what makes this card so sought after?:confused:

They are downclocked 2900xts, which are about equal to the 3870. Bang for buck they cant be beat, but they are dissappearing and I dont think they are produced anymore since ATI has moved on to the cooler more power efficent 3800 seris.

*accepts ticket on the late bus*

Can somebody link me or explain what makes this card so sought after?:confused:
It's a 2900XT with zero changes except for a slightly better cooler and a lower clock speed.
But then there's overclocking.

Get the picture? ;)

not a major one. but a difference

There was a lil discussion on that on another forum. I think they said they are about 5% slower and dont clock as well. Just relaying hearsay though. Think of the 512bit one being closer to the 3870 while the 256bit one is closer to the 3850 (my guesstimation, no fact).
I would make a claim with Newegg. Its not fair (or legal) to advertise a lower model as a higher model. They will most likely just offer you the ability to return it with no restocking fee and refuned shipping.

how well do these overclock compared to the 3850/3870 series?
(have a maze 4 gathering dust atm)

The 2900 Pro 512/512s. can be flashed to XT (though I don't know the exact benefit there). They can be crossfired with XTs. They seem to have some slight improvements, as some have been reported to overclock real well. Not a given for all though, as the Pro was originally reported as being low binned 2900XTs. My guess is they just pulled em off the same line to fit a price point. They suck up the power in crossfire, best to have good 650 plus power supply....to be sure...

I have one waiting for me at home, but I am out on the road now. Would pick up another, but that would require getting a new crossfire board, which would require a new...nevermind.

Good price for now, especially as availability of the newer models is spotty and still often above MSRP.

All gone now. You are stuck with a 256bit card now if you didnt bite earlier (or waiting for more old stock to materialize or get returned as open box / refurbs).

I wanted a 2900pro about a week ago, ended up ordering a 8800gt cuz i couldnt find a 512bit memory bus version anywhere :(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102717

well theres a 256 bus version for 145 after rebate, and then add shipping and tax to that.

would 2 2900Pro's be faster than a single 8800GT?!

wow i'm getting so confused over crossfire.

the old 512-bit cards had two power plugins.. and could well exceed 2900xt speeds cuz they were the same cards (with downclocks in place). The 256-bit version only has 1 8pin power plug, so im guessing its mildly crippled.

well apparently 2 2900 Pro's crossfired will be faster than a single 8800GT.

I wish this was the case a few months ago when i bought this stuff!!! ugh

i have one of these and can attest to how awesome this card really is. There are certain benchmarks that will beat out an 8800gt, I'm sure. At this price point, you really can't go wrong.

Best bang for your buck, period. Runs circles around anything else in the price range for the most part. I play Oblivion 1920x1200 maxed out with acceptable gameplay, 1600x1200 is smooth 2xaa/8xAF on a core 2 duo @ 2.8ghz

yeah im really happy with my 512bit version, wish i couldve scored another for my sff.

How would this compare to my 7900GT or my Radeon X 1900 XTX? Also how would it compare to a 8800GT 512?

2900Pro @ stock would perform worse than a 8800GT 512MB unless youre gonna clock it to an XT.

Too bad this offer is no longer on. Because for $170, the 2900pro (OCed) is certainly a much better value than a $250 8800GT.

Seems to be back at the Ewiz link, though I can also find one that appears identical on the site for $5 more. Hmnn....

Still, no telling when the pipeline will finally dry up.

if you're in the market for an 8800gt(s) or hd 3850, give the 2900 pro a long, hard look - you'll be hard pressed to find a better price-performance ratio.

Mines sitting at 750/1800; at 800/1800 I scored almost 11,000 in 3dmark 06 with a 2.8ghz cpu (core 2 duo) 2MB L2 cache on default 3dmark settings. My room is extremely hot right now, so heat is an issue for me.

A better cpu overclock and hopefully 950mhz core/1.9-2ghz memory will hopefully help me break 12,000. Also running 2T ram timings (4x1gb sticks)

eWiz just shot the price from 174 to 182.24 right before my eyes seconds ago!

I want to buy it but it'd require 6+8pin rail...ugh!

So tempting but as prices goes up, tempt goes down.

still the same for me, the 256bi version is 168 and the 512bit is 174

they realize the 512-bit is worth more. the 8-pin is not required (even to overclock a bit). As far as i know, the 8-pin does help with overclocking. I plan on ordering an Antec p182 case here soon, so I'll also have an opportunity to look for a 6-8 pin connector somewhere.

I'm at XT speeds with no problem with dual 6-pin connectors.

Looks like this card is temporarily back down to $169.49 with free shipping.

I am REALLY tempted to pull the trigger on this one but I'm concerned with PSU requirements. Can anyone tell me if this card would work on this power supply?

FSP AX450-PN Power supply: 400W continous, 450W max, 29A +12V, has the 6 pin connector.

Rest of the system would be:

E2200 @ 2.93GHz 1.325v on Stock HSF
ECS 945GCT-M/1333
2GB HP DDR2 667MHz
1 IDE Hard Drive
1 IDE DVD-ROM Drive
1 Floppy Drive
2 92mm fans

So far I've spent ~$90 on this system build (already had the case, PSU, drives) and with the 2900Pro that would be ~$260 total for a pretty alright setup IMO.

I have a 700W PSU and this thing sucks in alot of power, I suggest to get a 550W at least and get a good cooling case with preferably 120mm fans.

@Jakalwarrior & creamypie: Thanks, I appreciate the quick replies.

Even with those cautions I was ready to order one but eWiz jacked the price back up to $174 + shipping with about 15 minutes left to go on their "coffee break" deal. That makes the decision not to get one much easier. Guess I'll wait for a cheap 3850 512MB or maybe splurge on a 8800GT 512MB.

Back