Laser vs Optical

JustinSane

2[H]4U
Is it true that when you pick up a laser mouse to reset your position it will actually pick it up while you move it through the air? If so :(

Okay, lets put this to death right now.

1) A laser mouse can pick up your movement through the air, but no more than a optical does. Not to mention you can only have this happen at like 5mm off the surface.

2) A laser mouse is far more sensitive to movement because it picks up more movement. This is hard to get use to at first, but then it becomes very normal feeling.

Laser > LED Optical

I believe it's called a short focus laser or something similar. It only focuses on surfaces very close. When you first pick it up it will move a little bit as fine movements are detected. But lifting it only 1/2 inch off the pad/surface is enough for it to stop tracking. I'm using an MX1000 and I love it.

SiliconValley said:
I believe it's called a short focus laser or something similar. It only focuses on surfaces very close. When you first pick it up it will move a little bit as fine movements are detected. But lifting it only 1/2 inch off the pad/surface is enough for it to stop tracking. I'm using an MX1000 and I love it.

MX1000 is the king shit!
I love mine!

Though I wouldn't mind getting a G5

First of all, the mouse's laser projects a focused, coherant beam just like a laser pointer. I posted some pics on this forum a long time back of some images I took through a night vision scope, the laser dot was clearly visible across the street. (night vision scopes can see infrared. You cannot.)

I had to go back to my MX510 from my MX1000 unfortunately. I liked the fact the MX1000 was wireless and IMO had better ergonomics. But the laser is quite bad at tracking compared to the LED, which my roommate also found to be true.

I think the issue may be it's too precise, and dust / variations in the surface of the mousepad, hand oil etc may cause it to be less "smooth" than a LED-based mouse.

I actually probably could have lived with the "worse" tracking of the laser mouse, had it not randomly had periods where it would not recognize mouse clicks consistently as well.

Anyway, personally I'd advise sticking with the MX510/518 for now.

Majin said:
MX1000 is the king shit!
I love mine!

How about the new G7? I don't know if I could go back to a wired mouse after the MX1000.

just put your mouse in the center of the pad before u play a game and set your sensitivity to 10-20 :D

I have a MX510 and a MX1000 both pluged in at the same time.
You know for when I forget to put the MX1000 in the base to charge :eek: .
Going back to the MX510 is aweful to me.
I love my MX1000, it's hands down better in all aspects over my MX510.

@ SiliconValley
Thats the one I ment. the new G7.
I wouldn't mind getting one at all.

I really want to get a new keyboard. My Logitec Wireless sucks the 2X AA batts dry every 2 weeks. :confused: :mad:

The *laser* might project across a street, but the sensor sure as hell can't detect that far.

And since it's the (very short-sighted) sensor and laser combination that lets the mouse detect movement, taking it a few mm off the pad is more than enough for it to stop tracking.

Oh, and if you get a Razer Copperhead, make sure to disable the mouse acceleration in WinXP, and download the patch to REALLY disable it in WinXP.

dderidex said:
The *laser* might project across a street, but the sensor sure as hell can't detect that far.

And since it's the (very short-sighted) sensor and laser combination that lets the mouse detect movement, taking it a few mm off the pad is more than enough for it to stop tracking.

Oh, and if you get a Razer Copperhead, make sure to disable the mouse acceleration in WinXP, and download the patch to REALLY disable it in WinXP.

Yep, very true-- it stops tracking as soon as you pick it up off the pad.

dderidex said:

Awesome, thanks for the link.

Frangible said:
First of all, the mouse's laser projects a focused, coherant beam just like a laser pointer. I posted some pics on this forum a long time back of some images I took through a night vision scope, the laser dot was clearly visible across the street. (night vision scopes can see infrared. You cannot.)

I had to go back to my MX510 from my MX1000 unfortunately. I liked the fact the MX1000 was wireless and IMO had better ergonomics. But the laser is quite bad at tracking compared to the LED, which my roommate also found to be true.

I think the issue may be it's too precise, and dust / variations in the surface of the mousepad, hand oil etc may cause it to be less "smooth" than a LED-based mouse.

I actually probably could have lived with the "worse" tracking of the laser mouse, had it not randomly had periods where it would not recognize mouse clicks consistently as well.

Anyway, personally I'd advise sticking with the MX510/518 for now.

What mousepad were you using the MX1000 on...and how messy is your house? I found that I was having problems with tracking with my MX1000 until I purchased a QUALITY mousepad (fUnc1030 in my case). Also I found that if you have pet hair or something that is the biggest culprit of tracking problems, nothing else has caused any problems for me at all...and my room is DUSSSSSSTY.

The MX1000 has much better tracking then the MX510 from what I have used. You also might have gotten one of the batches with a bad reciever...anyways I think your opinion on the mouse is the exception rather than the norm.

Majin said:
MX1000 is the king shit!
I love mine!

you mean this?
dg9.JPG

this is the best mouse I have ever used... wow. I am so impressed. So damn accurate. wow. I am getting a lot more head shots with this one. ;)

EDIT: here's the weight cart
dg6.JPG

dg7.JPG

kinda cool... the mouse is decently weighted by default, but I like a little extra... this cart was a great idea. very nice feature.

ok, no more thread stealing for me. sorry but had to share. :)

Erasmus354 said:
What mousepad were you using the MX1000 on...and how messy is your house? I found that I was having problems with tracking with my MX1000 until I purchased a QUALITY mousepad (fUnc1030 in my case). Also I found that if you have pet hair or something that is the biggest culprit of tracking problems, nothing else has caused any problems for me at all...and my room is DUSSSSSSTY.

The MX1000 has much better tracking then the MX510 from what I have used. You also might have gotten one of the batches with a bad reciever...anyways I think your opinion on the mouse is the exception rather than the norm.

YES! I have to vacuum my desk with the cordless handi-vac to rid it of cat hairs because those do play hell with my mouse. I am using the Xide pad and it works very well with the laser pick-up on the mouse. My RatPadz GS worked well also... but it's just too darn big. ;)

Ryder said:
well they COULD make a mouse to move in the air too i am sure

I had one. It could detect all movements within an 8"x8"x8" area in front of the receiver. Very accurate, but trust me, a 3D mouse is very cumbersome (or just plain annoying) :eek:

revenant said:
you mean this?

this is the best mouse I have ever used... wow. I am so impressed. So damn accurate. wow. I am getting a lot more head shots with this one. ;)

EDIT: here's the weight cart

kinda cool... the mouse is decently weighted by default, but I like a little extra... this cart was a great idea. very nice feature.

ok, no more thread stealing for me. sorry but had to share. :)

I would so ask for a G5 for christmas if I hadn't asked for the MX1000 last year (and gotten it). If I asked for another 70$ mouse my parents would probably freak "What was wrong with the last friggin expensive mouse I bought you!?!"

SiliconValley said:
How about the new G7? I don't know if I could go back to a wired mouse after the MX1000.

I left my mx1000 for a G5 ... wasn't sure at first to make the move but now ... i will never go back ... this mouse is 1000 X MX1000 ... do the math ... thats alot.

Back