Largest-ever 3D Map of the Cosmos

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
It's Monday morning and surely many of us are questioning our worth. In an attempt to visualize just how insignificant we truly are, here is a map with 50,000+ dots on it. Each dot in the picture below marks an entire galaxy. And in order to make you feel just a bit more infinitesimal, the map below only represents about 3% of the galaxies by the Baryon Oscillation Spectroscopic Survey.

Each galaxy’s color represents its distance from us. The lightest yellow dots are the closest, and the darkest purple ones are the farthest away. Yellow = Roughly 6.4 billion light-years away; Red = Roughly 6.7 billion light-years away; Purple = Roughly 7 billion light-years away. Gray patches mark where data is missing because a bright star blocked the view or an error occurred during observation.

So! Happy Monday and here's to being a conscious carbon-based lifeform that is likely taking up too much carbon. Thanks to "The Heretic."

That's pretty cool. It's really hard to comprehend that there are still people who believe we are alone in the universe and that water is needed for survival.
In 50000 galaxies, probably each hosting 100 billion stars, there isn't a single life form out there besides us???? Good lord, that just reaks of stupidity.

I for one welcome aliens, even if their intent is to kill us, assimilate us, etc. At least then humanity might have enough motivation to band together and fight or die.

That's pretty cool. It's really hard to comprehend that there are still people who believe we are alone in the universe and that water is needed for survival.
In 50000 galaxies, probably each hosting 100 billion stars, there isn't a single life form out there besides us???? Good lord, that just reaks of stupidity.

I for one welcome aliens, even if their intent is to kill us, assimilate us, etc. At least then humanity might have enough motivation to band together and fight or die.

Well, since earth is the only flat planet in the universe (so far at least) that would play into the fact that this is the only world capable of supporting life.

I'm holding the image right in front of my nose and I'm not seeing anything pop out.

Random [H] sighting!!

Proof of intelligent life in the Universe!!

1493646643d3_Mj_T1d_MLT_1_1_l.jpg

It's really hard to comprehend that there are still people who believe we are alone in the universe and that water is needed for survival.
something else that reeks of stupidity is thinking that if something is out there, that we have any kind of chance of A)finding it during our (or its) time of existence, or B) finding it at all. ;)

something else that reeks of stupidity is thinking that if something is out there, that we have any kind of chance of A)finding it during our (or its) time of existence, or B) finding it at all. ;)
Maybe we won't find it....
Seriously, the fact that an alien race would advance at the same pace we have is pure lunacy. The mathematical probability of that has to be about as large as the number of stars in all of the galaxies in the universe.
Some will be slower, some faster, some may have come and gone several times in the span of ~14 billion years.

I've said it once, I'll say it again, "We are not alone in the universe."

If you find this sort of thing cool check out Space Engine. Free sim with known exoplanets/stars/galaxies + procedurally generated rest of the universe.

Reactions: HoffY
like this
Maybe we won't find it....
Seriously, the fact that an alien race would advance at the same pace we have is pure lunacy. The mathematical probability of that has to be about as large as the number of stars in all of the galaxies in the universe.
Some will be slower, some faster, some may have come and gone several times in the span of ~14 billion years.

I've said it once, I'll say it again, "We are not alone in the universe."

one thing you also must consider is that its entirely possible they know about us, but we simply are not interesting enough. also they could be a billions or so years ahead of us.. we might not even be able to communicate with them

Back