Large and active IT forum? Specifically network administration

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

I'm looking for a free IT forum, that relates mainly to network administration (Windows, Exchange, SonicWALL, Cisco, etc). I know there is Tek-Tips, Experts Exchange, and subforums like this one on multiple sites. However I am looking for more of a community feel rather than a pay for support feel the problem tends to be those forums are really slow, any suggestions?

Good luck finding one. Cisco's TAC forums is very helpful but requires a CCO account ($$$). I've resorted to Broadbandreports forums once or twice. There is also NANOG (North American Network Operator's Group) but it is a sorry-ass mailing list and not a forums.

Ive got some room under my domain if there is enough interest for an all out networking forum (with subcats and whatnot)

Ive got some room under my domain if there is enough interest for an all out networking forum (with subcats and whatnot)
I've got a server and the experience of running one or two "larger" forums (1,000+ active users).

I just need a userbase and preferably someone with a VBulletin license.

anyone here have a suggestion?

I have 20+ gigs of storage and a couple of terabytes of transfer on my web host. Its shared hosting though.

Wish I could help you but I don't know of any.

You have some ok pay ones but as far as any free ones I've always just looked for answers in multiple forums.

If yall are looking at starting one I would be willing to help with what I can. Just pm me.... I have found that that would be a really good resource to many admins. I know there have been times I wish there was a forum just like that.

Yeah, for my problems i usually have to resort to paid vendor forums, that although nice, requires active support contracts. Bleh.

If you run into any, let us know.

Although it has been suggested a few times to put a branch under this forum for enterprise networking, and leave the home stuff in the networking and security parent.

I'm on AIM right now...

screenname is jelloworx.

if anyone is interested in talking about this. I'm willing to go balls deep on this, as I have considered it in the past.

I'd love to see it. I think it would provide good reading for those of use who are not in the field and are interested. That said it might have to have some decent moderating to keep the posts segregated (home question in the home forum and such).

I am more than happy to help. I own www.dailyofftopic.com, relatively new, but I have a year of experience in vBulletin. I would be glad to assist in anyway possible. But I suggest, if you do a forum, going with vBulletin from the start.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in my help!

I found a great (IMO) domain that is available. If some one is interested in starting this, PM or email smorgan757[@]gmail[.]com and we can talk!

Great idea indeed. I'm also looking for a Networking and general IT forum since I work in the IT work and sometime, I need some help for some specific corporate issues.

Good luck to whoever setting up the forums and I will be in line to register :)

Sounds like a great idea. I'd been toying around with the idea awhile back, but more on a regional basis. As someone who is a one-man IT shop in a small community, a resource like this would be very useful.

This post from the other day, discussing good message board programs may be of interest to this topic:
What is the best free message board?

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask the admins to create a network admin forum here and just promote that? It seems this site already has a large user base, a well known name, and the capability. It would be easier and more effective than starting a brand new one as far as I can tell.

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask the admins to create a network admin forum here and just promote that? It seems this site already has a large user base, a well known name, and the capability. It would be easier and more effective than starting a brand new one as far as I can tell.

Something like www.hardIT.com ?

Well I suppose you could have a domain name like that and just have it direct you to a regular forum here.

you know
I have wanted something like this as well

just a normal forum, but IT related
I don't want it all gobbled up with shit ads and crap service... kinda like what someone posted... feels like you're paying for hte problem that you have to be fixed... not a discussion type of place

you could have all the basic network & IT support forums and break them down accordingly

I would definetly be interested in supporting an initiative such as this.

I would love to see this and would do whatever I can to help.

An enterprise/business networking forum has been requested by many on more than one occasion, but no dice.

Weird, I posted earlier, but it's not showing up.

How about www.hardnet.com? That is, if hardforum.com would support it. Of course, I am not even sure if that domain is available...

I have used and setup the free message boards Snitz2000, phpBB, etc... but I do have to say that vBulletin is by far the most robust. I like Snitz 2000 more recently and I like, but that is mainly to do with the fact that I am an ASP programmer and I don't like php. :)

I have a teamspeak server setup I just need to re-enable it if you guys/gals would like to discuss this in detail. Just setup a time or shoot me an email at:
axeldoomeyer[at]sbcglobal[.]net

I would go with the HardIT idea, except I don't know if Mr Frgmstr is into that idea.

Maybe some voice sections on this forum???? :)

I would love to see this happen. Keep me posted.

I would be very interested as well. I have vBullitin running a Linux server at work for just having internel LAN users post junk for sale.

I think this would be a cool project. I can supply/domate some hardware if need be as well...

DistributedBen said: As someone who is a one-man IT shop in a small community, a resource like this would be very useful.
I agree ( I'm there too).

I've got webspace on pair.com, and I'd be interested in helping out. Good domain is key, and what kind of sections would we be looking at? IT is such a broad field, there are a lot of areas to cover.

Just like hardforum covers all the aspects of home computers and enthusiast computing, we would cover all the areas of enterprise networking and enterprise computing.

I already got webspace covered, I have a under used server just waiting.

I'm game to help out too, I've got serverspace/bandwidth available as well.

As was said earlier, a more enterprise IT oriented sub forum on the [H] has been requested MANY times and has been shot down.

I can supply some drives depending on how robust this thing needs to be. The logical thing is to start small and scale up as the site becomes more resource intensive.

I would assume we all could donate some cash to get a nice licensed copy of vBulletin for the forums.

A broad topic range would be nice. I think having general topics (e.g. Windows IT, Unix/Linux Systems, Networking, etc, etc) and expanding them as needed (Active Directory, Sharepoint or something) is probably a better idea than creating topics for every product out there to start. I for one would like to see a section aimed at web services (WIMP, IIS, Apache, LAMP, etc) and a Community/Events section with info on professional conferences and group meetups.

I can supply some drives depending on how robust this thing needs to be. The logical thing is to start small and scale up as the site becomes more resource intensive.

I would assume we all could donate some cash to get a nice licensed copy of vBulletin for the forums.

I would do it this way, just like you and DistributedBen have mentioned.

Like I've said mayn times, we don't have to worry about webspace. I've got a WHOLE webserver which is waaay underused (My play server). I just need the VBulletin license.
Perhaps next paycheck.

Any ideas for a domain?

-RandyC

Back