LapWorks Announces Gamers Desk

HardOCP News

[H] News
A couple of you guys sent me links to this “gamers desk” lapboard and it looks like something you guys might / might not like. What are your thoughts on this?

The area for the mouse looks too small.

Paying $40 for something to put your keyboard and mouse on sounds kinda stupid to me, some desks costs as much as that.

Assuming you buy this because you don't have a place for your keyboard and mouse on your desk/whatever, then where do you place it when it's not in use? It doesn't make sense.

Looks like it's the closest we will come to ever seeing the PhantomLabs lap-board. The z-board when used with a standard keyboard layout isn't bad, it all looks good but is there enough room for mouse movement?

Current plastic mousemat is (misplaced my measuring tools so I'll have to measure in Wii remote lenghts) 1.3 x 1.9 wii remote lengths and it's just enough for everything I do.

Meh, I'm not impressed.

My solid wood desk looks nicer, my standard keyboard functions very well, and my G5 laser mouse is quite happy on the nekkid wood.

I'll keep my money for more useful things.

I think some of you are missing the point. Its for your lap whilst playing on a HDTV.

There's not a lot of real estate with the mouse. For the price and with what they're showing, it's a good concept but I think they failed to deliver the good.

As stated before, the mouse area is too small. I think the mouse will fall off of the lapboard if you happen to lift your left side higher than the right. A gyroscope with a pivot point about 6 inches higer than your lap would fix this.

I couldn't even use that thing to surf the web. The mouse pad looks waaayyy too small. I use about a half a foot of space to play CS. Gamers don't just need 3 inches of room to play. Besides, that encourages wrist problems.

I made something similar to place my wireless keyboard and mouse. I used it for everything not just gaming. As almost every has already mentioned, the mouse area is too small. $40 is way too much for that crappy design. If it was done really well, and looked nice, it could get $20. Anyone can go to Home Depot and get them to cut melamine coated particle board to their specs and it would cost less than $10

Even if this is used for websurfing on a HDTV, theres a number of far better alternatives that would function much better, such as keyboards with trackball mice integrated on them.

example - http://www.fentek-ind.com/kbmrfotb45ub.htm

Thats more expensive, but if you shopped around, I'm sure you'd find something similar for $40, or less.

I also think the mouse area should be a bit larger. Used with a good cordless mouse and keyboard, (not what is in the pic), I could definitely see this being popular with the HTPC crowd, or the PS3 crowd that actually plays UT3 with a KB/M.

Ehh, there would be room for a larger mouse pad area if a keyboard without a num pad was used.

I'd buy one just because I hate having to lean over the coffee table when playing games on my TV in the livingroom. Even with my mouse pad on a book on the couch it doesn't feel right. I'll give one a shot if the price isn't too steep. Looks much better than a piece of plywood across your lap.

obviously most of your desks are going to be better than using a LAPBOARD. you know... for your couch-lazing needs.

i'm in the market for a solution like this right now, though i'm in agreement about the limited mouse area.

I could see myself using that, if I were using a large screen monitor/hdtv and sitting on a couch. :)

I'd buy one just because I hate having to lean over the coffee table when playing games on my TV in the livingroom. Even with my mouse pad on a book on the couch it doesn't feel right. I'll give one a shot if the price isn't too steep. Looks much better than a piece of plywood across your lap.

Try the Razer Deathadder mouse.
It works wonderfully on my sofa/arm with no mousemat.

I think some of you are missing the point. Its for your lap whilst playing on a HDTV.

No one missed the point. $40+ for a rectangle to set your keyboard and mouse on. $2 worth of MDF from home depot does the same. Add in some work with a jigsaw and router, and you have a custom one to fit your keyboard, mouse AND lap. Not only that, but the thing seems too small to be of any use.

Its not a bad idea, its just that people who can operate a jigsaw, or at least walk into a lumber store, hold their arms up in the air and say "i want it cut it this long", can do it for far cheaper.

wow the mouse in that pic is the OLD OLD logitech dual optical.. used to love that mouse

Did any of you check out the actual page where the product is listed? It barely weighs over a pound, and is 26.75 inches wide/long.

My keyboard is (the zboard pictured actually) 18 1/2 inches wide/long ..so that gives me 8 1/4 inches roughly for using my mouse.

My mouse pad is 11 3/4 inches wide and honestly I use about half the space if that. I have a logitech mx 518 gaming mouse and I don't have to pick up my hand and move it 2-3inches to play an fps or other games like some people I've seen play at lan partys etc, so to each his own.

I could see this setup working well for me in the next fews months when I build my new gaming/htpc to use on my Sony 52" 1080P HDTV. So for me I think it could work well and it looks well constructed imo, plus I know their laptop products are super nice and they offer them in some nice finishes.

The article said they were also going to include some custom finished for this product as well.

i say a desk is crap.. get a 42"+ screen and a wireless gamepad for your pc...

with the way i mouse atm i only have to shift it 1 inch in the Y and 2 inch in the x axis to move my cursor edge to edge of a 16x10 desktop. sure you will need a bit more space on the end for when it gets frantic in a FPS but as noted its not really the target market for these. if you swing that way a second version with a bulge at the end to accommodate FPSers would be good?

id be interested in something like this. the only problem.... we dont have walmart in Aus yet, tho im told costco is coming....?

No one missed the point. $40+ for a rectangle to set your keyboard and mouse on. $2 worth of MDF from home depot does the same. Add in some work with a jigsaw and router, and you have a custom one to fit your keyboard, mouse AND lap. Not only that, but the thing seems too small to be of any use.

Its not a bad idea, its just that people who can operate a jigsaw, or at least walk into a lumber store, hold their arms up in the air and say "i want it cut it this long", can do it for far cheaper.

I was referring to these two quotes.

Assuming you buy this because you don't have a place for your keyboard and mouse on your desk/whatever, then where do you place it when it's not in use? It doesn't make sense.

Meh, I'm not impressed.

My solid wood desk looks nicer, my standard keyboard functions very well, and my G5 laser mouse is quite happy on the nekkid wood.

it looks like it is about as big as my g15... so thats a no go.. and 2.. its not made of ratpads material... after i got used to useing this pad, i cant use any thing else...

hey kyle.. i gots an idea.. :p

Logitech diNovo Mini. Used on windows base pc's and ps3, some got it to work for xbox 360. Used for sending messages and controls the 3 systems above with no need for a brace.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126039

LInk to item, I know some will say that its cost kind of kills the cut some cardboard but for thoughs that want something that works and looks good comes in handy when you have 1 remote ( logitech Harmony 1000 combined with mini above ) :D

Listen to this man.

Granted, wrist support sucks. Although if you're using a keyboard as big as that, you're going to have to be a twitch player. You know, maxed out Windows and mouse driver sensitivity.

If it was wider, it might be better. I'd rather stick to my easier and cheaper solution of using a foot stool as a keyboard rest (legs go under the cushion, fit nicely), and the mousepad goes on the nearby table.

Sand down the edges of the plywood and put a coat of paint on it. Thousand times better than dealing with the small mouse pad area on this thing and save yourself a fortune. Heck, just go pick up a piece of primed MDF shelving and cut to length desired. Nice hard surface.

Back