Laptop wont power on

dumbsioux

Limp Gawd
I was in dos formatting the HD of a Compaq Presario 1500 and all of asudden it just shut off. I unplugged it from the ac adapter and smelled that dredded burning smell. When I plug it back into the ac I hear some kind of sound. It sounds just like crickets churping. It wont power on though. I don't know what i did.... Anyone know anything I could do?

Crickets churping!?! Sounds like the HDD is FUBAR. But since its not getting to the
bios screen, then it sounds really major.:eek:

More description would be more helpful...what exactly happens when it powers on by
both ac and battery. Can you tell where the sound is comming from? How were you
formatting the HDD (boot to dos, formating withing windows, which windows? etc)?

The sounds are coming from the ac port area. It won't power on at all. I was formatting the HD from booting off a Win98 bootdisk and "format c:" I hope that helps please ask anything else.

Is the sound more from a fan or like an electronic bios-type beep?
How did the power cut off? Wasnt the battery in place?
Have you also looked through the HP/Compaque site for support?
Try putting the HD into another computer via external enclosure, if you can.
(with all hope you may be able to get back the data)
That "smell" thing though, doesn't look good.

(I should go to sleep)

It doesnt sound like a fan or bios beep. The power just instantly turned off and wouldn't turn on again w/ ac or just battery. I tried powering on wo/ HD in place.. same story. I looked at its site but didn't see anything that could solve it.

you probably killed the pin inside the case when you plug the ac adapter in. you know that little metal thing inside the plug where you plug the ac adapter, you might need a new one of that.

If it is still underwarrenty just send it back and dont mess with it.

Otherwise It allmsot sounds like the PSU blew out.

Back