Laptop Wifi Suddenly stopped working

maverick786us

2[H]4U
My dad's HP Laptop uses Wifi for internet connection. But it looks like its Wifi has suddenly stopped working, I reinstalled drivers but didn't show Wifi

Could you give us more details?

Is the wi-fi adapter built-in to the laptop or does it plug into the USB port or..? What operating system do you run? What model is the HP laptop and the wi-fi adapter? What makes you think it stopped working besides not being able to connect to a website? Does Windows let you view wireless networks? What taskbar icons are there in the lower right hand corner? What model is your wireless router? Have you tried connecting to other wireless routers?

Many laptops have a switch on the side which enables/disables wireless. Make sure that's not in the off position.

Many laptops have a switch on the side which enables/disables wireless. Make sure that's not in the off position.

THIS. Check this first thanks for the reminder. I had a laptop ship with the wi-fi turned off by default and you couldn't tell within Windows. I was so mad when I realized that.

It has onboard Wifi.
The switch is turned on, I am using Windows VISTA 64-bit ultimate.
I think many laptops have common device for Blutooth as well as Wifi. The Wifi is not getting displayed in network or even HP Wireless utility, it is unable to detect WiFi

Check device manager, right click My Computer, manage, device manager.

What make/model laptop is this? HP DVxxxx series with affected nVidia chipset are known to have their wireless cards stop working prior to kicking the bucket.

In device manager the Wifi is not getting displayed, it is not showed in others too. It is an old Laptop purchased in 2006 its "Compaq Preserio V3029 AU" having first ever AMD Dual core 64-bit processor

Last edited:
OK I did some more workaround. I installed Windows 7 in the laptop ("Compaq Preserio V3029 AU" ) still it does'nt detect WiFi.

When i go to device manager it does'nt show WiFi List in "Others Item". So does that mean that WiFi drivers are installed but not working? One more thing in old laptops there is a common device for WiFi and Bluetooth (not sure though). Although Bluetooth is working perfectly fine

Back