Laptop Turns on for 3-4 seconds and turns off?

Liguid

Weaksauce
Well heres what happens. My friend has a dell 9100 and it doesn't turn on anymore. And unfortunately his warranty expired 1 month ago =/. so i took it to take a look. and i do not know whats wrong with it. it just turns on for a few seconds and then turns off. the l.e.d lights come on and turns off. i tried leaving the battery out and powering it up with just the ac adaptor. but the same thing happens so i do not believe it is the battery. can anyone help me narrow the problem down. i hope it isn't the mobo.

Thanks in advance.

I would hazard a guess - heat. Try some compressed air, and, if you are feeling adventurous, take apart the machine and replace the TIM with Arctic Silver.

i took apart the laptop. but i do not exactly see a jumper to reset the bios of the 9100? cause anyone tell me how i may reset the bios?

id say that the power button is sticking down. AKA you hold down the power button 3-4 seconds to shut it off, only its doing it on its own.

Is there a light to show that the AC is registering/charging the battery?

It might be the lose AC connection on the mobo. Just a thought

Sempron64 said:
Is there a light to show that the AC is registering/charging the battery?

It might be the lose AC connection on the mobo. Just a thought

after opening and putting it together a few times it turns on sometimes, and sometimes it won't. and if u move it too much it turns off and then will have the same problem of turnning on and off again... i think it may have to do with the ac connection on the mobo like you said. or something else is lose on the mobo. i'm looking into it right now. but it also turns on with the battery now without the ac connector connected...

Back