Laptop Transfer (Backup\Ghost)

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to copy a system partition between two identical laptops.

I connected the laptops hd to my main computer and used microsoft's backup utility to backup the old system, then connected the new laptop and performed a restore... The laptop makes it to the windows logo just before login and hangs there (doesn't freeze, but does not continue further)... What could be the problem?

If all else fails do you think ghosting it using this method would be successful?

I don't think M$ backup is the best thing to use for moving the ENTIRE contents of one Hard Drive to another...however, if one Laptop still works you should still be able to ghost to the second drive.

ghosting would work just fine.

For a time, my girlfriend and I had idenitcal laptops, before she went to college I gave here an image of my laptop, as I had newer Office, Photoshop, etc.. Ghost is a godsend.

I connected the two laptops together and did a "direct copy" using norton ghost... having the same problem at boot.

Any suggestions?

Did you tell it to clone the drive from the first system to the second one? Also, what version of Ghost are you using?

I'm using Ghost 9.0

After running disk check the computer booted, but the drives had the wrong letters... I changed the drive letters: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188

Now it boots but after 30 seconds the computer restarts suddenly... It works fine in safe mode, I tried disabling startup items but it still reboots.

Could it possibly be a service? I need to isolate and fix the problem, I've been working on this computer for much too long... A simple ghost and I can't get it working...

FRUSTRATING

I tried booting from the ghost disk on the laptops but it stops at:

Boot CD-ROM Type: CD-ROM/Non-Emulation Booting

is there any way to get a windows machine to boot off a cd without it being bootable? I remember there was a linux distro that could do that...

Back