Laptop to replace my moms desktop..

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
So my mom took off on vacation and she finally agreed to get a new PC. I'm done building desktops, she said she would be open to a laptop and would like the largest possible(not sure if she realizes how big a 17" is) So she left me her BB card to pick one up :D . I figure $800 is my limit

These things are all overkill for what she and her husband does. I can almost garuntee she will not install any apps on this computer other than the ones i will(ccleaner & office) She mainly just web browses and email. She will LOVE the windows 8 interface i can just tell. But i would want this to last for her for 5yrs+ hopefully.

This is what i picked out

17" Toshiba - $799
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba...lver/8968379.p?id=1218957871989&skuId=8968379

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor
Features a 6MB cache and up to 3.4GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost.
Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't.
8GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
17.3" LED-backlit TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
With TruBrite technology, native support for 1080p content and 1920 x 1080 resolution showcases visual media in striking clarity.
Intel® Wireless Display
Wirelessly transmits streamed or downloaded movies, TV shows, music, photos and more from your laptop, network or the Internet to your TV (NETGEAR Push2TV adapter required, not included).
750GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times. Toshiba 3D hard drive impact sensor helps protect your data.
Mobile Intel® HD graphics
Feature 64-1760MB shared video memory for lush images with precise detail. HDMI output with 4K Ultra HD capability enables connection to an HDTV.
One-touch function keys
Allow simple operation.
Built-in high-definition webcam and stereo microphone
Make it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends.
Multiformat media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC, miniSD, microSD and MultiMediaCard formats.
4 USB 3.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer; 2 ports with USB sleep-and-charge capability.
Built-in Intel® Centrino® 2230 Wireless-N LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Bluetooth 4.0 interface
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
Weighs 6.6 lbs. and measures just 1.3" thin
For portable power. Premium LED-backlit, frameless, raised-tile keyboard with 10-keypad enables easy typing in low lighting and allows simple data entry.
Brushed aluminum finish in prestige silver
Offers a stylish look.
Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.

That choice does seem like overkill for web browsing and email. You could probably save her some money by going with something with a lower level processor.

I hope she likes Windows 8, I know several people who have returned new computers with Windows 8 to find ones with Windows 7.

Though if you do value the screen size and 1080p resolution stick with what you picked.

If you want it to last 5 yrs , dont get a toshiba ....

This is from my experience with Toshibas, none of them have lasted.....Id say look at Lenovos, should find something that will do what you want in that price ragne with no issues.

Get her a business class laptop.

Dell E series.
Lenovo T series.
HP EliteBook Series.

Those are all quality, well built sturdy laptops...

Another vote for standard Lenovo.

I would go easy on CPU and stick in an SSD.

As awesome as T-series Thinkpads are, they aren't sold at Best Buy as far as I know. That's the kind of card the OP has.

Given your mom's specific needs, you might consider getting a cheaper laptop and picking up an SSD to install along with it? For her usage it sounds like a (1) nice screen and (2) general speed from an SSD might be the most noticeable parts.

So thanks for all the replies guys, i have been reading them since the initial post and was typing out replies, but kept deleting them and meaning to come back later.

Anyway...Finally found something that i think she will be very happy with. And for that matter this is something i would have bought if i was looking for a laptop. There is one more left so i may go get another for myself!

What grabbed me was the 1080p screen/SSD and Touchscreen for $697

Sony Ultrabook T-Series - Touchscreen - Regular Price $929/ Clearance $697

WHAT'S INCLUDED

Sony VAIO T Series Ultrabook 15.5" Touch-Screen Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive + 24GB Solid State Drive
6-cell lithium-polymer battery (VGP-BPS33)
AC adapter, power cord
Software: Sony Movie Studio Platinum, ACID Music Studio, DVD Architect; ArtRage Studio and more
PRODUCT FEATURES

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-3337U processor
Features a 3MB cache and 1.8GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz.
Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don't. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
8GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
15.5" LED-backlit high-definition capacitive glass touch-screen display
With 1920 x 1080 resolution delivers arresting picture quality and simplifies navigation.
750GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times. The 24GB solid state drive enhances data processing speed for rapid computing.
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
For lush images with vivid detail. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
Action buttons
Include VAIO, ASSIST and WEB for easy control of your laptop.
1.3MP high-definition webcam
With an Exmor sensor and microphone makes it easy to video chat with family and friends.
1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer; USB 3.0 port with charge capability. Secure Digital and Memory Stick Duo card slot.
Built-in Atheros WB225 Wi-Fi adapter (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Bluetooth 4.0 + HS interface
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet LAN
For quick and easy wired Web connection.
Weighs 5.2 lbs. and measures just 0.9" thin
For easy portability. Backlit keyboard with 10-key numeric pad enables comfortable typing and simple data entry.
Brushed aluminum finish in silver mist
Provides a stylish appearance.
Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With Sony Movie Studio Platinum, ACID Music Studio, DVD Architect, ArtRage Studio and more. Includes 1-month trial of Microsoft Office 365.
ENERGY STAR certified
Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Last edited:
So playing with it here for awhile, definetely nice..Only thing i don't really like is the quality of the webcam. Says 720p but still looks like crap. Not sure how good laptop cameras are though in the first place though since i don't use em.

If she doesnt like this i think i am just going to get her a mac mini.

Back