Laptop to Dell 3007WFP at 2560x1600

rcrez

Limp Gawd
I've got a Dell 30" LCD which only accepts dual link DVI.

How do I find a laptop that supports its sole resolution of 2560x1600?

Will a laptop with HDMI work? how about display port? how about USB-C only? how about thunderbolt?

How do I know if a laptop supports the dual link DVI standard?

is display port the only port that supports this?

will thunderbolt or USB-C work too?

You'll need a USB-C to displayport adapter and then an active displayport to dual-link dvi adapter. This should work in theory, in practice I haven't tested anything involving DVI in many years so it's possible there could be issues with combining certain adapters. I don't believe there is any such thing as a single straight USB-C to dual link dvi adapter.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
as long as it supports USB-C, can i guarantee it will work all the way to dual-link DVI?

or does the USB-C also need to be thunderbolt?

It's hard to guarantee anything when chaining multiple adapters, tbh. The USB-C to displayport adapter above does not require Thunderbolt 3, it uses Displayport alternate mode which passes a DP signal over the USB-C connector. As long as the USB-C port supports that, it should work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Support_for_DisplayPort_Alternate_Mode - I dunno of all the USB-C devices out there but most USB-C devices in the past year or two support it.

As long as your device supports Displayport alternate mode then the two adapters above *should* work. It's impossible to make any guarantees without testing of the whole chain with a specific device, of course.

If you buy a laptop with Thunderbolt 3, though, I'd say the absolute worst case is you end up having to buy a Thunderbolt 3 dock/hub with Displayport out and then use an active adapter with it.

Back