Laptop stolen, need help trying something

r00k

2[H]4U
I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this topic, but someone ought to have ideas.

My laptop was stolen 2 days ago, and wouldn't you know it, i didn't have all my security duckies in a row yet.

The only account on it was my microsoft login with a fairly strong password, and i would use my fingerprint to login anyway. It was not encrypted.. yet.

I had Comodo One RMM installed on it, which does offer me some basic tracking and control if the laptop does get connected to the internet. It seems like a bit of a longshot, but who knows.

Firstly, it allows me to run python scripts on the remote machine, so i have already set up one that enables bitlocker and then encrypts all the drives on it.

Then i note that I can do remote MSI deployment and command lines. So i thought to myself, what about remotely silently deploying preyproject to the machine and having preyproject automatically snap a picture of whoever is in front of it?

https://help.preyproject.com/article/188-prey-unattended-install-for-computers

Problem is, when i enter the msi installation file location (https://github.com/prey/prey-node-client/releases/download/v1.8.1/prey-windows-1.8.1-x64.msi) it says the file does not exist.

upload_2018-10-4_12-42-3.png

I am trying to test this deployment by deploying to my own desktop computer. But i'm stuck at "file does not exist". I'm not sure if this is github trying to block hotlinking or what. I also am not sure where else i could park this MSI file for a while that would keep it available to my laptop should it connect. I can't use obfuscated links because they don't end in .msi

Anyone have ideas?

Im banking on it automatically connecting to some nearby Xfinity wifi or other public hotspot, since the only account on it is my Microsoft Account and it won't be generally accessible. Theyll have to sit there and try a few basic passwords, maybe attempt to connect the wifi to see if that helps..

Having dealt with lots of stolen laptops, without something like computrace etc on it, you're pretty much wasting your time. That thing got hawked somewhere and whoever bought it most likely already formatted it and reinstalled a pirated copy of windows on it and sold it on craigslist.

Having dealt with lots of stolen laptops, without something like computrace etc on it, you're pretty much wasting your time. That thing got hawked somewhere and whoever bought it most likely already formatted it and reinstalled a pirated copy of windows on it and sold it on craigslist.

Honestly, i hope so. It sucks to lose a really nice laptop, but the data that was on it is not the kind of stuff i want getting out in the open.

Back